Scottish Highlands

The Mantis

1 hour ago, Comrie said:

The Black isle Bar is a cracking pub with great beers, good food and decent craic. You need to remortage if you want to get leathered there.

Same for The Malt Room, kinda hidden away by the Market Bar, but it's small, intimate and has a great selection of whisky. The boy that runs it is sound as well, knows his whisky and played a bit for Clach when he was younger, though I don't remember him from my occasional Clach games.

Again, it's not cheap like most of the better pubs in Inverness.

I wish they would keep the secret garden secret, instead of putting a big neon sign up with a fucking arrow.

Any idea when campsites are likely to be back open, we usually do Applecross every year round about now but with the campsite being shut and the place probably being over run with arseholes in their campervans it's looking like it may be a write off this year.

15 minutes ago, Empty It said:

Any idea when campsites are likely to be back open, we usually do Applecross every year round about now but with the campsite being shut and the place probably being over run with arseholes in their campervans it's looking like it may be a write off this year.

Thought campsites were back open a few weeks ago?

A lot of sites are either not opening this year or conveniently excluding tents 'because of Covid' and absolutely nothing to do with trying to ram in more campervans and folk into on-site lodges etc. for more money, not one bit at all. 

Looked to be lots of sites accepting tents in Mull this week but as virginton alludes to there has been a steady reduction in the number of sites over the last 10 years accepting tents in favour of more lucrative customers and I don't doubt Covid will accelerate that.

All part of our wonderfully fucked approach to tourism where we see it as the only industry that the highlands and islands should aspire to whilst central and local govt puts literally no resources into the infrastructure required 

• 2 weeks later...

Arrived in Applecross last night for our annual camping trip, full of your Benidorm crowd shouting at all hours steaming drunk, can spot them from miles off "wild camping" with their rental camper vans, massive fires and blaring shite music.

3 hours ago, Empty It said:

Arrived in Applecross last night for our annual camping trip, full of your Benidorm crowd shouting at all hours steaming drunk, can spot them from miles off "wild camping" with their rental camper vans, massive fires and blaring shite music.

The "wild camping" crowd are a major pain in the arse for the locals this year.

Leaving the rural communities they enter looking like a sewer.

4 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Do you know that tinks is a pejorative term for travellers?

As historically explained to the dearly departed Jimmy85, we no longer live in the 1930’s and like the word “gay”, “tink” has somewhat had an extension of definition over the years. I was born in 1980, and as long as I’ve been alive it’s been commonly used to describe a scruffy/unhygienic/dirty/unkempt type of person. 

If “tink” is on the P&B list of bad words, I’m more than happy to cease its use if a mod requests I do so. Until such time, for avoidance of doubt, I’d just like to clarify I’m using it to describe the littering dropping, house parting, covid-spreading, scheme-dweller types who have recently been a blight upon our beautiful Highlands and Islands.

Likewise, it was a common term of mild abuse for appearing scruffy or dirty at school in the Highlands. However, it is definitely a slur against the traveller community (a recognised ethnic group in the UK) and should be binned.

Short for tinkers when travellers were known for selling pots and pans, from the noise of them jangling about on their carts. Unless I've swallowed a myth. So using it to label "littering, house parting, covid-spreading, scheme-dweller types" is plainly wrong, "tinks" should refer to entrepreneurial types who get on their bike and make something of themselves.

Edited by welshbairn

16 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Short for tinkers when travellers were known for selling pots and pans, from the noise of them jangling about on their carts. Unless I've swallowed a myth. So using it to label "littering, house parting, covid-spreading, scheme-dweller types" is plainly wrong, "tinks" should refer to entrepreneurial types who get on their bike and make something of themselves.

I heard something similar - the word is derived from Tinsmiths who would repair tin items such as pots and pans.