Scottish Highlands

The Mantis

On 08/07/2021 at 21:29, Big Rider said:

I know there are a few fans of the Kylesku Bridge on here so I've shared a couple of shots of this brilliant structure taken during my recent tour of the North West Highlands. 

B636AB7F-853E-44C1-8636-87955542653C.jpeg

4CA10F15-FFF3-4370-B00A-8B1122980585.jpeg

B2CA65DF-BC96-47C8-B514-A6E90BD087D9.jpeg

I have driven over this.

I was looking forward to the views on either side but is was blowing a hurricane so it was hands gripping the wheel , eyes straight ahead.

( We had seen a water spout earlier )

Edited by Ewan8472

I have driven over this.
I was looking forward to the views on either side but is was blowing a hurricane so it was hands gripping the wheel , eyes straight ahead.
( We had seen a water spout earlier (

That's OK though. Gives you a perfect excuse to go back another time!

Thanks for popping my pictures back up. A very nice memory! That was one of my favourite ever road trip days, from Ullapool until Thurso I practically had the country to myself. My jacket has even just about dried out now.

On 19/09/2022 at 18:09, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Watch out for the section on that link aboce re tidal amendments. The ferry zigzags in and out of various rocks, meaning it's quite regularly curtailed due to tidal amendments. It's amazing how indirect the route the ferry takes is due to these hazards.

They built the MV Loch Bhrusda with jet propulsion instead of propellors since the Sound of Harris is so shallow. 

In 2017 I was over in the Netherlands for the Women's Euros with the missus. We went up to Friesland and took a ferry over to Ameland. They had to zigzag too, it was so shallow they were steering in between sandbanks.

• 1 year later...

Coming to the end of a long weekend dotting about. Managed to fit Inverness, Thurso, Ullapool, Cromarty and Oban into the weekend. Hopefully still with time enough to get over to Easedale tomorrow.

Roads have been empty everywhere all weekend, as was the train to Thurso.

Was delighted to see an otter in Ullapool, and a ridiculous number of deer as well. 

Perfect time of year to get up here. It fairly empties out and I haven’t seen a single camper van. 

IMG_9274.jpeg

IMG_9342.jpeg

IMG_9215.jpeg

On 03/12/2023 at 19:41, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Coming to the end of a long weekend dotting about. Managed to fit Inverness, Thurso, Ullapool, Cromarty and Oban into the weekend. Hopefully still with time enough to get over to Easedale tomorrow.

Roads have been empty everywhere all weekend, as was the train to Thurso.

Was delighted to see an otter in Ullapool, and a ridiculous number of deer as well. 

Perfect time of year to get up here. It fairly empties out and I haven’t seen a single camper van. 

IMG_9274.jpeg

IMG_9342.jpeg

IMG_9215.jpeg

Where was the Banksy tribute act (I presume)?

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Where was the Banksy tribute act (I presume)?

Riverside Road, Thurso. Painted onto the wall of a Scottish Water plant.

Also another “Banksy” on the back wall of the Toll Gallery in Thurso (the back wall which faces into Thurso FC’s ground).

Nobody knows if it was the real Banksy or not. I thought it was fantastic regardless.

2 minutes ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Riverside Road, Thurso. Painted onto the wall of a Scottish Water plant.

Also another “Banksy” on the back wall of the Toll Gallery in Thurso (the back wall which faces into Thurso FC’s ground).

Nobody knows if it was the real Banksy or not. I thought it was fantastic regardless.

The one in your picture leaves Banksy in the dust imo, proper scale about it.