Scottish Highlands

The Mantis

We're coming to the end of a glorious fortnight up here. First week in Sleat on Skye, second in an Air BnB in Laide. Certainly loads more motorhomes than usual but no campers shitting everywhere [emoji23]. I got in 4 superb hillwalks on Skye and in Wester Ross and some cracking photos. Recommendations include Cafesia in Broadford for Wood-fired pizza, Roasters coffee shack in Poolewe for excellent takeaway coffee and churros, the Bridge Cafe in Spean Bridge was decent on the way up. Evening meal at Ocean View hotel in Laide tomorrow to end the holiday.

8 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

Evening meal at Ocean View hotel in Laide tomorrow to end the holiday.

"Ocean View Hotel" doesn't sound very original.  Then again "Anthrax Island View Hotel" might not be good for business either!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Hope it's ok to post here but I've got a week at my timeshare in Scandinavian Village in Aviemore for rent that I'm unable to use this year. 3rd July - 10th set up in a 1 bed apartment. Ideal for a family of 4. Anyone fancy it drop me a message.

On 13/06/2021 at 17:48, The Mantis said:

Thought I would resurrect this thread. A long weekend at Lochcarron with trips over the Bealach na Ba to Applecross and Shieldaig.

EOSR3650.thumb.jpg.4d92509154b52701bcd2bba2a1a2bb24.jpg

That is a great view. Was the Bealach na Ba road busy? I've visions of it being a nightmare of fellow staycationers clogging up passing places.

2 hours ago, bendan said:

That is a great view. Was the Bealach na Ba road busy? I've visions of it being a nightmare of fellow staycationers clogging up passing places.

Not busy at all on Saturday afternoon mid May and nobody I could see actually camping except one van at the bottom on the Kishorn side. Went back Sunday morning and a fair number of cars at the top but not much to get in the way. Quite a lot of cyclists tackling it both days so you have to allow for passing them.

Been back near Plockton in June, visited Portree and Elgol and overall roads in Skye and Lochalsh etc have been quiet, and pubs etc tolerably busy, although I heard some people saying accommodation was in short supply.

I heard yesterday that Applecross people were discussing having a vote about being taken off the NC500. Obviously a lot of them will be nimby incomers but I can see their point. A lot of the problems will disappear if the pandemic does, but the NC500 is extremely popular and not going away. I've got an earlier post about hiring a motorhome last September and when we strayed onto bits of the NC500 it was mobbed. I think the loop west of Lochinver should carry a warning as some vehicles and, equally, drivers shouldn't be on it.

Edited by The Mantis

• 3 weeks later...

Had to change plans from heading to Arran on Wednesday so took the Cowal/Tarbert ferries route over to Knapdale instead, camping near Kilberry. Managed to find just about the only patch of stubborn low cloud that failed to clear on Wednesday but it was much better for the long hike round the northern half of Knapdale and over to Loch Fyne for the bus back into Tarbert the next day. Too much cloud over Jura to see it in full glory on this visit but will return, probably in May when the weather's most favourable. 

IMG_20210701_102428.thumb.jpg.f0128bc63f35e519593189e750c6efd8.jpg

The highlight however was Skipness on Kintyre, with excellent food in a relaxed setting from the Cabin, and an outrageously good wild camping pitch on Skipness Point. As someone who normally can't go into a field without finding the only boulder-strewn corner hidden just beneath the surface, being able to effortlessly push even diddy pegs into the surface, with a private beach for the evening was a luxury. The midges weren't too bad either, despite there being no breeze at all by the evening. 

Watching multiple pods of porpoises sweeping up the sound into Loch Fyne/the Clyde Riviera within full view of the point was quite entertaining as well. 

IMG_20210701_212338.thumb.jpg.cdc870c659a3ec1e0e61e221e23bf9c7.jpg

44 minutes ago, virginton said:

Had to change plans from heading to Arran on Wednesday so took the Cowal/Tarbert ferries route over to Knapdale instead, camping near Kilberry. Managed to find just about the only patch of stubborn low cloud that failed to clear on Wednesday but it was much better for the long hike round the northern half of Knapdale and over to Loch Fyne for the bus back into Tarbert the next day. Too much cloud over Jura to see it in full glory on this visit but will return, probably in May when the weather's most favourable. 

IMG_20210701_102428.thumb.jpg.f0128bc63f35e519593189e750c6efd8.jpg

Definitely worth the effort. If the weather is clear views are spectacular of Jura and Islay

Sunset and day break towards Ormsary a few miles north from Kilberry. Not the greatest shots but you get the gist

29-04-2018-242.thumb.jpg.6a444336f6385ca144a6d06a9dff8bbc.jpg

30-04-2018-032.thumb.jpg.f014eba71818c794ae96152a4ced3ba4.jpg

30-04-2018-108.thumb.jpg.4d8c3acd09606980d0a5b43c32571218.jpg

I know there are a few fans of the Kylesku Bridge on here so I've shared a couple of shots of this brilliant structure taken during my recent tour of the North West Highlands. 

B636AB7F-853E-44C1-8636-87955542653C.jpeg

4CA10F15-FFF3-4370-B00A-8B1122980585.jpeg

B2CA65DF-BC96-47C8-B514-A6E90BD087D9.jpeg

Edited by Big Rider

14 hours ago, Big Rider said:

I know there are a few fans of the Kylesku Bridge on here so I've shared a couple of shots of this brilliant structure taken during my recent tour of the North West Highlands. 

4CA10F15-FFF3-4370-B00A-8B1122980585.jpeg

Well done, I particularly like this one.

Had a long weekend near Duirinish last month. Scooted about Skye and Lochalsh and Plockton. Wanted to get Eilean Donan lit up but the sunset wasn’t till half ten or so, and the chance of a drink won over the need to drive there.

65B42EDD-BDAF-488A-A30D-AA59DB63B8E4.thumb.jpeg.ac093b9b77db0104424843ee6bd7fba4.jpeg

88D8C262-4BF4-44EC-AE85-6FCA33144B51.thumb.jpeg.8b74713ffd95077407d851487f29b178.jpeg

8231A4C7-4086-4A68-AA2A-F15E65AA2391.thumb.jpeg.79f0d9eb55199433e7a5095d1204d2b8.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/08/2020 at 20:31, welshbairn said:

I like the Argyll, sister hotel of the Ferry Boat and directly behind it on the next road up. Rooms too pricey for me but they have regular bands on and a great selection of draught cider. That reminds me, think I'll have a pint of Old Rosie next if the midges let up. :bag

Wee bounce for this.  I’m taking the other half up to Ullapool for a few days.  It’s been literally decades since I’ve been there.  Staying at the Riverside Guest House as the prices everywhere else were Edinburgh festival level extortion.    We’re doing (natch) a Summer Isles boat trip, and I daresay we’ll spend at least one evening at the pub.  To that end, what’s the best establishment?  Is it still the Ceilidh Place?   Any other suggestions would be smashing.

38 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Wee bounce for this.  I’m taking the other half up to Ullapool for a few days.  It’s been literally decades since I’ve been there.  Staying at the Riverside Guest House as the prices everywhere else were Edinburgh festival level extortion.    We’re doing (natch) a Summer Isles boat trip, and I daresay we’ll spend at least one evening at the pub.  To that end, what’s the best establishment?  Is it still the Ceilidh Place?   Any other suggestions would be smashing.

Ceilidh Place is definitely poshest. The Argyll sometimes has live music on too, not sure where they are with Covid restrictions on that. For something a bit more raucous or for the football, I quite like the Arches. An alternative to the Summer Isle boat trip, and I think cheaper, is going to Stornoway and back, you'd probably want to stop the night, but you see most of the Summer Isles enroute, if not quite so close up. No point if you don't enjoy ferry rides for their own sake though. I've been on both and the local boat trip is definitely worth it too, and on a good day you'll get up close to more wildlife. For a day out walking, Quinag is a fairly gentle ridge walk with astonishing views including the Summer isles. There's a fun wee 9 hole golf course too, think you can hire clubs. If Scourie are playing at home it's a beautiful place to watch football too, haven't been able to make it there yet though. For Quinag and Scourie you'll likely need a car.

Edited by welshbairn