Mighty Montrose FC Thread

Can confirm Watson’s goal was in fact a great finish. We should have been out of sight before then with missed chances, and their winner was due to more awful defending. 

there have been many disappointing performances and results this season, but to still be in with a chance of the playoffs with 2 games remaining would point to a fairly successful season. SP will say that 8th place was the target at the start of the season. I would put the downturn in form to Sinclair being recalled in January. He was a huge loss. Not having a fixed right back all season has hurt us badly. I think that’s why Webby’s form dipped. Hopefully having Williamson in there will allow Webby to keep playing further forward in his natural position. 

Whatley and Matty both appear to be off to Forfar. Whatley hasn’t really done much in his time here, would have liked to see Matty stay with the 2 year deal he wanted. He’s played nearly every game including playing out of position. Would imagine Callaghan will be on his was too

if rumours are to be believed we already have another keeper signing up, think we need more cover at CB with only Quinn there and we have no cover for Steeves either, only Liam really filled in there if needed. We will need midfielders and other striker as well. Not sure what we’ll get from Gardyne, can’t really see what he’s brought to the team in his time here. 

Can’t say I’d shed any tears if Gardyne decided he wants to jack it in.

All easy for me to say but we need at least a goalkeeper, a centre back, probably 2 in midfield and another striker in. If we could then find another defender that can cover both central and left back and they’re all of a decent standard for this level then we can hopefully kick on again next season. 

14 hours ago, broomiesniper said:

Matty, whatley and Lewis Milne confirmed as leaving 

No real surprise as mentioned before seems 2 of them could be off to Forfar and a think you might see Lewis Milne at Kelty or Edinburgh city some place closer to home.Heard their could be a few more out the door yet so could be a bigger rebuild than first imagined.

Goalkeeper wise I've heard a name,decent goalkeeper from what I remember and local so fingers crossed we get that one over the line. Would stick with the young lad as back up and let Lennox go which will probably happen anyway.Had high hopes for Lennox when he first arrived but it's just not been the best of times for him at Montrose looks shot of confidence and theirs an error in him every couple games now especially this season anyway.

21 hours ago, broomiesniper said:

Can confirm Watson’s goal was in fact a great finish. We should have been out of sight before then with missed chances, and their winner was due to more awful defending. 

there have been many disappointing performances and results this season, but to still be in with a chance of the playoffs with 2 games remaining would point to a fairly successful season. SP will say that 8th place was the target at the start of the season. I would put the downturn in form to Sinclair being recalled in January. He was a huge loss. Not having a fixed right back all season has hurt us badly. I think that’s why Webby’s form dipped. Hopefully having Williamson in there will allow Webby to keep playing further forward in his natural position. 

Whatley and Matty both appear to be off to Forfar. Whatley hasn’t really done much in his time here, would have liked to see Matty stay with the 2 year deal he wanted. He’s played nearly every game including playing out of position. Would imagine Callaghan will be on his was too

if rumours are to be believed we already have another keeper signing up, think we need more cover at CB with only Quinn there and we have no cover for Steeves either, only Liam really filled in there if needed. We will need midfielders and other striker as well. Not sure what we’ll get from Gardyne, can’t really see what he’s brought to the team in his time here. 

Who is the keeper you have heard we are signing?

1 hour ago, mo83 said:

No real surprise as mentioned before seems 2 of them could be off to Forfar and a think you might see Lewis Milne at Kelty or Edinburgh city some place closer to home.Heard their could be a few more out the door yet so could be a bigger rebuild than first imagined.

Goalkeeper wise I've heard a name,decent goalkeeper from what I remember and local so fingers crossed we get that one over the line. Would stick with the young lad as back up and let Lennox go which will probably happen anyway.Had high hopes for Lennox when he first arrived but it's just not been the best of times for him at Montrose looks shot of confidence and theirs an error in him every couple games now especially this season anyway.

Kelty is a good shout. I'm sure Lewis used to or maybe still does work for Joe Cardle's football academy so there is a link there to Kelty.

On 09/05/2023 at 15:28, 1320Lichtie said:

Cammy Gill is aryt. Means we will have to flounder about trying to sign a number 2 again this summer 

What we getting in Cammy Gill then? Never played much for you all lads that I can remember.

36 minutes ago, mo83 said:

What we getting in Cammy Gill then? Never played much for you all lads that I can remember.

Aye but when he did he was perfectly fine. Seems a good lad too. Think he played a league game when we got a 4-1 hiding off QP but not at fault for any of the goals. Cannot comment on the 5-1 pumping off Dunfermline in the challenge cup because I didn’t bother going and the starting 11 consisted of our bench (which at the time were absolutely god awful) so could’ve had prime Buffon in and conceded a few. Looked assured v Motherwell in the Scottish Cup.

Think he’d be decent with regular game time like. 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

3 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Aye but when he did he was perfectly fine. Seems a good lad too. Think he played a league game when we got a 4-1 hiding off QP but not at fault for any of the goals. Cannot comment on the 5-1 pumping off Dunfermline in the challenge cup because I didn’t bother going and the starting 11 consisted of our bench (which at the time were absolutely god awful) so could’ve had prime Buffon in and conceded a few. Looked assured v Motherwell in the Scottish Cup.

Think he’d be decent with regular game time like. 

Good to hear....Like you said with some regular game time hopefully he can kick on and be a good keeper for us.

On 08/05/2023 at 09:59, maz1974 said:

No comments on Saturday's game, does that kinda sum up how we felt about it?

Apparently Winker's consolation goal was sweet as a nut, so might watch the highlights for that.

How does everyone feel now the season is over? Relieved we survived another L1 season? Disappointed with 7th? I'm the latter.... 

We definitely underperformed more than a couple of times and it has cost us those places.

See lots of new blood next season I expect, but hope we don't lose our identity totally.....

I think the turning point this season when things really started to take a turn for the worse, was the away match Vs Airdrie, the Saturday after we had inflicted the season's only defeat on the Pars. The team bus had been stuck in traffic, due to a train strike, having had to take the long way to the ground via the Forth Bridge. Having played so well against Dunfermline and being told by the management, they had little to fear from an Airdrie team, with only "boys on the bench", the Mo that day were outclassed and offered next to nothing in response. It was the first time I had witnessed such a heavy defeat since Petrie took charge. I also felt really disappointed that with Airdrie staying down courtesy of Queen's Park last season, we at least had an opportunity to try to extract some sort of revenge on them, following our catastrophic failure in the away leg of last year's playoffs. How far-fetched a wish that turned out to be!

Was it just a blip, a bit of complacency following the high point of the victory over Dunfermline?

Nope, the next away match, we were again completely scudded 4-0 by QoS.

My memory of the Petrie revival up till this season is that when we lost, it was usually narrowly, other than in the Stephen Dobbie victory over us in the first playoff semi final away leg.

This season has been different. We have definitely gone backwards and I am wondering if that includes the ethos of the team. I wonder if, without naming names, bringing in players, who have somewhat mixed reputations on and off the park, presumably on substantial wages, has been counter-productive? I am wondering if the feel good vibe about the club has been compromised as a consequence?

It has been less than a stellar season for all the Angus teams, for different reasons. I think for Arbroath and ourselves, we have both suffered because, bigger teams have got their acts together and we haven't been able to secure and retain the same calibre of loan players.

Plus this: losing one Cammie Ballantyne is bad enough, but losing two is just downright careless!

That's my tuppence worth on a really meh season. Desperately hoping Stewart Petrie can rebuild over the summer and make us competitive again.

Edited by Brummo
missing a "t" and repetition of "is bad enough"

11 minutes ago, Brummo said:

I think the turning point this season when things really started to take a turn for the worse, was the away match Vs Airdrie, the Saturday after we had inflicted the season's only defeat on the Pars. The team bus had been stuck in traffic, due to a train strike, having had to take the long way to the ground via the Forth Bridge. Having played so well against Dunfermline and being told by the management, they had little to fear from an Airdrie team, with only "boys on the bench", the Mo that day were outclassed and offered next to nothing in response. It was the first time I had witnessed such a heavy defeat since Petrie took charge. I also felt really disappointed that with Airdrie staying down courtesy of Queen's Park last season, we at least had an opportunity to try to extract some sort of revenge on them, following our catastrophic failure in the away leg of last year's playoffs. How far-fetched a wish that turned out to be!

Was it just a blip, a bit of complacency following the high point of the victory over Dunfermline?

Nope, the next away match, we were again completely scudded 4-0 by QoS.

My memory of the Petrie revival up till this season is that when we lost, it was usually narrowly, other than in the Stephen Dobbie victory over us in the first playoff semi final away leg.

This season has been different. We have definitely gone backwards and I am wondering if that includes the ethos of the team. I wonder if, without naming names, bringing in players, who have somewhat mixed reputations on and off the park, presumably on substantial wages, has been counter-productive? I am wondering if the feel good vibe about the club has been compromised as a consequence?

It has been less than a stellar season for all the Angus teams, for different reasons. I think for Arbroath and ourselves, we have both suffered because, bigger teams have got their acts together and we haven't been able to secure and retain the same calibre of loan players.

Plus this: losing one Cammie Ballantyne is bad enough, but losing two is just downright careless!

That's my tuppence worth on a really meh season. Desperately hoping Stewart Petrie can rebuild over the summer and make us competitive again.

Only speaking for Arbroath here but the reason we’ve struggled is purely down to ourselves. Went away from what we were good at, picking up the best players from L1 and L2 and instead venturing into a whole new market.

We’ve had signings from England, USA and fucking Uzbekistan instead of just solid pros already playing in this league or at a decent level. It took us signing a guy from Sligo, Falkirk, Peterhead and East Fife (who was on loan from Hibs) before we started to resemble a reliable outfit. 

Had so many trialists in the pre season it was ridiculous, too busy trying to unearth a gem instead of looking closer to home. 

Dick, Ian and the club appointed a scouting / recruitment team in October time after it became clear we had signed a load of jobbers in the summer that were not up to standard in the league. 

I think you’ve got a pretty good chance of signing Hester for what it’s worth. Be a good signing for you if it happened.

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Only speaking for Arbroath here but the reason we’ve struggled is purely down to ourselves. Went away from what we were good at, picking up the best players from L1 and L2 and instead venturing into a whole new market.

We’ve had signings from England, USA and fucking Uzbekistan instead of just solid pros already playing in this league or at a decent level. It took us signing a guy from Sligo, Falkirk, Peterhead and East Fife (who was on loan from Hibs) before we started to resemble a reliable outfit. 

Had so many trialists in the pre season it was ridiculous, too busy trying to unearth a gem instead of looking closer to home. 

Dick, Ian and the club appointed a scouting / recruitment team in October time after it became clear we had signed a load of jobbers in the summer that were not up to standard in the league. 

I think you’ve got a pretty good chance of signing Hester for what it’s worth. Be a good signing for you if it happened.

I'd like us to make a move for Kane but I think he might go to Cove or Arbroath in all fairness.Heard their was a good chance he would have went to Brechin City if they got back into League 2 but that will not be happening anytime soon.

I'm actually pretty interested to see how he would get on in League 1 or the Championship,banged the goals in League 2 in a pretty poor Elgin side over the years.Be interesting to see how he got on  up against better sides week in week out.