Mighty Montrose FC Thread

2 hours ago, gav-ffc said:

He’s missed 31 of the 57 league games during his time at the club. 

A don't know much about his injury to be honest,but maybe a bit off time off the right recovery period might do him good.Am certainly not writing him off just yet

2 minutes ago, mo83 said:

A don't know much about his injury to be honest,but maybe a bit off time off the right recovery period might do him good.Am certainly not writing him off just yet

To be fair, he does have an appalling fitness record. For a first team standard player, he's managed 26 league games for Falkirk in 18 months. He managed 27 in two seasons with Partick Thistle before that. And he managed 19 games for Dunfermline in his last season there. Played pretty much every game in 18/19 but managed only 14 games in 17/18.

He's 27 next month and he's had one season in his career to date without missing significant time (months) injured. Perhaps he's another Nicky Low who would benefit enormously from stepping away from full time football and into part time to prolong his career. He's certainly a risk though.

10 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

To be fair, he does have an appalling fitness record. For a first team standard player, he's managed 26 league games for Falkirk in 18 months. He managed 27 in two seasons with Partick Thistle before that. And he managed 19 games for Dunfermline in his last season there. Played pretty much every game in 18/19 but managed only 14 games in 17/18.

He's 27 next month and he's had one season in his career to date without missing significant time (months) injured. Perhaps he's another Nicky Low who would benefit enormously from stepping away from full time football and into part time to prolong his career. He's certainly a risk though.

The fact he is injury prone is only part of the issue here. The main problem is he is also one of these players that finds any excuse not to play not one that will play with a bit of a knock here and there or play through a bit of pain. He's been  signing his own sick lines at Falkirk ffs . I very much doubt any difference in training will change his attitude . I'm shocked any team would take him on anything other than a pay as you play contract .

3 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

The main problem is he is also one of these players that finds any excuse not to play not one that will play with a bit of a knock here and there or play through a bit of pain.

That's a wild leap you've taken there.

59 minutes ago, da_no_1 said:

That's a wild leap you've taken there.

He did seem to really struggle with the mental side of the game when he was with us tbf, could visibly see head go down and will to play disappear. He did get an unfair amount of stick mind you, which can't have helped.

2 hours ago, mo83 said:

His recovery period is August to May.

Seems to be a decent lad but completely done as a footballer.

Even when fit he will not get involved in the physical side of the game ie tackle.

This tends to be a problem in a defender.

44 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

His recovery period is August to May.

Seems to be a decent lad but completely done as a footballer.

Even when fit he will not get involved in the physical side of the game ie tackle.

This tends to be a problem in a defender.

Thanks for your input will get back you this time next year 👍

12 hours ago, mo83 said:

Have to say am pretty happy with the signing of Ryan Willamson,he is a good age and has played at a decent level.Falkirk fans seem to think he will be out injured all the time but il judge him on that come the end of his first season.

The new Brazilian recruit don't know much about him to be honest but trust SP all the way and must have something about him.

I'm honestly not trying to rubbish the lad here, but he's really not a defender. He's not going to solve any defensive problems that you may have on the right side of your defence. Honestly can't remember him ever winning a 50-50 header for example, despite him being over 6ft and his positioning is bad too.

If he stays fit (which would be really unexpected) and you play him as a wing-back, you'll have a big asset however.

7 hours ago, Grant228 said:

McGlynn is a fucking idiot when it comes to dealing with injuries though, absolute dinosaur. 

To be fair McGlynn loaned us James Keating's what a disaster that was injured all the time hopefully this boy is not like him.

56 minutes ago, mo83 said:

To be fair McGlynn loaned us James Keating's what a disaster that was injured all the time hopefully this boy is not like him.

It was McGlynn that fucked Keatings, would recommend having a look at Keatings interview. 

1 hour ago, Grant228 said:

It was McGlynn that fucked Keatings, would recommend having a look at Keatings interview. 

Keating's was well fucked before then. Another who had ability but unfortunately didn't have the strength of character to be a top pro footballer. Williamson is exactly the same.  Slight niggle and he won't train.  Any player that signs their own sick lines is no use to  anyone.

Edited by Shodwall cat

3 hours ago, Shodwall cat said:

Keating's was well fucked before then. Another who had ability but unfortunately didn't have the strength of character to be a top pro footballer. Williamson is exactly the same.  Slight niggle and he won't train.  Any player that signs their own sick lines is no use to  anyone.

James Keating's had issues that Inverness and his previous clubs managed. McGlynn had got a prehistoric way of dealing with such issues. 

On 01/02/2023 at 12:02, Shodwall cat said:

Wild leap? Just ask mcglynn.

Seriously? The same McGlynn who utterly fucked the Rovers over a calendar year ago with one single decision. Na I'll give him a swerve.

My dad went and Gavin Swankie's father-in-law went. So that's two people I know of that did go. I didn't though, so that just adds to the list of non-attendees. Apparently Gavin Swankie's father-in-law thought his son-in-law would be a good signing. SP said Gavin has struggled to find fitness for a while and did not see him fitting in with the current Montrose set-up. Thankfully my dad did not advocate on my behalf regarding my football prowess and suitability for inclusion in the team, as he is not that deluded.

11 hours ago, Brummo said:

My dad went and Gavin Swankie's father-in-law went. So that's two people I know of that did go. I didn't though, so that just adds to the list of non-attendees. Apparently Gavin Swankie's father-in-law thought his son-in-law would be a good signing. SP said Gavin has struggled to find fitness for a while and did not see him fitting in with the current Montrose set-up. Thankfully my dad did not advocate on my behalf regarding my football prowess and suitability for inclusion in the team, as he is not that deluded.

Swankie did indeed train with Montrose around about Octrober/November time, but couldn't commit due to his work schedule.