Mighty Montrose FC Thread

10 minutes ago, broomiesniper said:

Full time football I guess but I thought he’d have aimed for a championship team 

Easy option considering he works at the stadium it looks like. Absolutely bizarre for me. At a perfect age to really kick on if he’s wanting to be a full time player and carve out a full time career

Easy option considering he works at the stadium it looks like. Absolutely bizarre for me. At a perfect age to really kick on if he’s wanting to be a full time player and carve out a full time career

Airdrie are full time.

Whoever advised Cammy to sign for Airdrie should be shot  [emoji23][emoji23]. No idea how much more they’re paying him .. hopefully for his sake its a lot.  He should be a level above. He’ll always be welcomed back at LP. 

It’s not a huge sum.

I’d actually argue it’s a decent move for him. Come to airdrie for a year and play well and show he can meet the demands of first team football. Blair Lyons is the perfect example of moving to a league above full time team and not making it. Then move up the leagues next season.

25 minutes ago, Aufc said:

It’s not a huge sum.

I’d actually argue it’s a decent move for him. Come to airdrie for a year and play well and show he can meet the demands of first team football. Blair Lyons is the perfect example of moving to a league above full time team and not making it. Then move up the leagues next season.

Blair Lyons hadn't played senior until he was 23. Ballantyne made his debut for United at 18 and played a whole season at Montrose at 19. Been a regular since 

Lyons also never made anywhere near the impact Ballantyne has. He’s the best right back in L1 and has a good career behind him 

He’s made a sideways step which probably won’t even be much a difference in terms of wages, to a team in the same league... when most teams in the league above would’ve taken him and paid him better? A good season there and he could’ve been promoted with that team or caught the eye of Premiership teams. Falkirk and Dunfermline are an anomaly here too but they would’ve even made more sense in my opinion

Not sure what he had offers wise but imagine he’d have had a fair share of options and at the end of the day he will know what’s best for himself and what he wants but from an outside perspective it really does just look like the easy move. If he’s happy then great and good on the guy but feels like a bit of a waste. Guys a good prospect and could go far if he challenged himself I think

Said it elsewhere but he’s capable of a Nicky Devlin type career but he’s maybe left it too late now. Ballantyne be 26 this year

8 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

He’s the best right back in L1 and has a good career behind him

I'm sure Alloa fans would strongly disagree as thet believe Scott Taggart is but hey ho is all a matter of opinion.

Blair Lyons hadn't played senior until he was 23. Ballantyne made his debut for United at 18 and played a whole season at Montrose at 19. Been a regular since 

Lyons also never made anywhere near the impact Ballantyne has. He’s the best right back in L1 and has a good career behind him 

He’s made a sideways step which probably won’t even be much a difference in terms of wages, to a team in the same league... when most teams in the league above would’ve taken him and paid him better? A good season there and he could’ve been promoted with that team or caught the eye of Premiership teams. Falkirk and Dunfermline are an anomaly here too but they would’ve even made more sense in my opinion

Not sure what he had offers wise but imagine he’d have had a fair share of options and at the end of the day he will know what’s best for himself and what he wants but from an outside perspective it really does just look like the easy move. If he’s happy then great and good on the guy but feels like a bit of a waste. Guys a good prospect and could go far if he challenged himself I think

Said it elsewhere but he’s capable of a Nicky Devlin type career but he’s maybe left it too late now. Ballantyne be 26 this year

As far as I know, airdrie were first to offer him a contract. Also heard they are putting him through his coaching badges. He will have increased his wages as going full time compared with part time. Obviously moving to “full time” but it will still allow him to do his coaching which I believe he does at the airdrie stadium.

He may have jumped in with the first offer but it’s full time. It’s closer to his home. He is getting put through his coaching badges.

10 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

To be honest if it was keep Ballantyne or Lyons,Blair Lyons all day long for me great player who will get better and better lucky to have him on a 3 year contract.Cammy is a great player too don't get me wrong but Lyons can win you games.

22 minutes ago, mo83 said:

To be honest if it was keep Ballantyne or Lyons,Blair Lyons all day long for me great player who will get better and better lucky to have him on a 3 year contract.Cammy is a great player too don't get me wrong but Lyons can win you games.

Defenders can win you games too, it’s just not as obvious 

Lyons blows hot and cold. Ballantyne consistently plays well most weeks

17 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

I Dont Believe You Will Ferrell GIF

I'd agree with you here, rather than my fellow Mo fan. We've got Webster, Gardyne,  Milne who are all potential game winners. I'd be more inclined to keep Ballantyne who was solid in defence but also offers a huge amount going forward. He'll be really difficult to replace to the same standard and I wouldn't really want Tezza or Whatley filling in there long term either

2 minutes ago, endieinreekie said:

I'd agree with you here, rather than my fellow Mo fan. We've got Webster, Gardyne,  Milne who are all potential game winners. I'd be more inclined to keep Ballantyne who was solid in defence but also offers a huge amount going forward. He'll be really difficult to replace to the same standard and I wouldn't really want Tezza or Whatley filling in there long term either

To be fair there's been a few Airdrie fans claiming they would rather keep Frizzell than Easton, which we know isn't true.

1 hour ago, Aufc said:

As far as I know, airdrie were first to offer him a contract. Also heard they are putting him through his coaching badges. He will have increased his wages as going full time compared with part time. Obviously moving to “full time” but it will still allow him to do his coaching which I believe he does at the airdrie stadium.

He may have jumped in with the first offer but it’s full time. It’s closer to his home. He is getting put through his coaching badges.

Fair enough then. Coaching badges a big thing and like I said I fully understand it. I’m a bit of a hypocrite because I’m doing the exact same in my work life. Could get better elsewhere but this home working carry on is handy.... 

1 hour ago, Aufc said:

Lyons blows hot and cold. Ballantyne consistently plays well most weeks

Everyone has their own opinion, personally I'd rather keep players that want to be at the club that's twice he has jump shipped now don't think we will see him back in a Mo shirt again.

Blair Lyons has been a great find from Stirling Uni and produces most weeks a player I really like.

• GableEnder21 changed the title to Mighty Montrose FC Thread