Mighty Montrose FC Thread

Elgin City asked the SPFL to postpone their decision on Hester etc so that it didn't prejudice the criminal case. Off the top of my head, the others involved are McHale, Cooper and McHardy (all Elgin), O'Keefe (Peterhead), Sutherland (ICT), Rabin (EF) and Ballam ( no idea).

16 hours ago, maz1974 said:

Just as the Liam and CJ thing gets put to bed, we go and buy another one with trouble looming....

That asides, he might be brilliant! Interesting that the went as far as to say he will partner Rory. which is something we have been screaming out for, someone who thinks like Macallister does.. Could be dynamite!

Do you think Gardyne will have to go? To release some cash? 

i wouldn't lose any sleep should Gardyne go, can't see what he has done to justify his wage. Just not sure who would come in for him now

17 minutes ago, broomiesniper said:

i wouldn't lose any sleep should Gardyne go, can't see what he has done to justify his wage. Just not sure who would come in for him now

TBF, I think he does quite a lot defensively, which I never had as being part of his game. Still has a year of his contract to run, so we would recoup some money if he was to go, but he is a keep for me.

3 hours ago, broomiesniper said:

I have to admit I like Gardyne and would 100% keep him.Cant have enough experience in a squad and he fits the bill perfect.Along with Rory I think we might see them two alot better than previous year .

Edited by mo83

Saw this and wondered about its application in lower leagues. I noticed even Spartans are wearing "wonder bras": those performance stat. gathering halter tops. I suppose in a game of fine margins, as they used to say at Tesco: "Every little helps".

Of course once every other club adopts a particular piece of tech. or a proven technique it ceases to be an advantage but those clubs open to making use of or even pioneering new developments in the game are surely going to reap rewards.

I like to think that as SP gets older, he will continue to get better by being open to new developments as well as doing the tried and tested to the utmost of the team's abilities.

I wonder if there are people in the coaching / scouting set up at Montrose who are progressive in their outlook, so that progress doesn't just depend on old school solutions?

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/23543833.mathematical-brighton-system-behind-genius-roberto-de-zerbi/?ref=ebls&nid=1221

31 minutes ago, Brummo said:

The words "could" and "alleged" are indicative of a non-story.

Well it's clearly not a "non story"As the post above you notes, the fact he's now been formally charged is on the SFA website and he has a hearing scheduled for 15th June. The SFA appears not to treat gambling offences quite as seriously as the English FA for instance who just banned Ivan Toney for 8 months and previously banned Kieran Trippier for 10 weeks. However, their own guidance says the lower end ban for this if found guilty is 3 game ban, mid range is an 8 game ban and top end is a 16 game ban. The absolute maximum under their powers is £100,000 and explusion from the game permanently.

We'll have to wait and see how Hester pleads and what can be proven but if it's deemed that he was providing info to others and not just betting for himself (as appears to be the case) then it's unlikely that will be deemed a lower end offence. Ian Black got a 10 game ban, albeit most of it suspended. Brian Rice got a 10 game ban with 5 suspended. Dougie Imrie and Gordon Young also got 10 games (4 suspended) last year. Gavin Swankie got an 8 game ban (4 suspended). As far as I know all of those were only betting for themselves albeit some were an extended period of time. I suspect if Hester's found guilty including giving info to others it will be regarded as a top end offence.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

2 hours ago, cowdenbeath said:

Masterstroke by Elgin pocketing the £25k.

2 hours ago, cowdenbeath said:

Masterstroke by Elgin pocketing the £25k.

3 Year contract he will pull on a Mo Shirt eventually.