Mighty Montrose FC Thread

1 minute ago, Aidan said:

Kane Hester signs, club record fee apparently.

Mo, I feel, have missed a prolific striker for years but I can see Kane filling that void. He'll cause defences problems and will take chances if presented. Should be a fantastic signing 👏

Intrigued to see how he will partner with Rory. 

2 minutes ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

3 year deal and money paid for a player, is something you do not often see at this level unless it’s Falkirk. Any idea what the fee is?

Club record fee is £17.5k.  So it’ll be something above that as they have stated they have broken a club record fee.

Edited by Loon From Outta Toon

Big signal of intent. Just hope we're not over-extended £ wise on this and there's some dough left to get a midfielder or two. Presume this means CJ more likely to be away.

1 hour ago, Scorge said:

Big signal of intent. Just hope we're not over-extended £ wise on this and there's some dough left to get a midfielder or two. Presume this means CJ more likely to be away.

Where is all the cash coming from?  dont have a huge fanbase, dont remember any big transfer income who is the main sponsor?

Edited by peternapper

37 minutes ago, peternapper said:

Where is all the cash coming from?  dont have a huge, dont remember any big transfer income who is the main sponsor?

We haven’t had any huge fees that I’m aware of but I’m pretty sure we got 5 figure fees for Martin Rennie and Blair Lyons in the last few years and we would have got a decent amount of money for a club of our size when Martin Boyle went to Saudi Arabia too.

Hopefully Elgin played hardball and got a good fee for Hester. He's still to get his ban from the SFA/SPFL for the betting scandal, along with several current and ex Elgin players and I'd imagine he'll get hit hard, due to it his being a criminal investigation and going as far as court (although he was found not proven.)

13 hours ago, gordon9736 said:

Hopefully Elgin played hardball and got a good fee for Hester. He's still to get his ban from the SFA/SPFL for the betting scandal, along with several current and ex Elgin players and I'd imagine he'll get hit hard, due to it his being a criminal investigation and going as far as court (although he was found not proven.)

Hard to believe he'll get anything less than a lengthy ban, he admitted he took money for getting carded, just that he forgot about the deal during the game and the foul that got him carded was just a coincidence, I'm amazed the jury found it not proven. I wonder if Montrose negotiated a get out clause if he's banned for the season?

https://www.northern-scot.co.uk/news/elgin-city-striker-kane-hester-cleared-of-defrauding-bet365-306391/

Edited by welshbairn

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Hard to believe he'll get anything less than a lengthy ban, he admitted he took money for getting carded, just that he forgot about the deal during the game and the foul that got him carded was just a coincidence, I'm amazed the jury found it not proven. I wonder if Montrose negotiated a get out clause if he's banned for the season?

https://www.northern-scot.co.uk/news/elgin-city-striker-kane-hester-cleared-of-defrauding-bet365-306391/

I'm not 100% to be honest.

I was told that it has all been dealt with now....But a bit confused by it all myself.If the big wigs were going to do anything would have done it by now?....

Just as the Liam and CJ thing gets put to bed, we go and buy another one with trouble looming....

That asides, he might be brilliant! Interesting that the went as far as to say he will partner Rory. which is something we have been screaming out for, someone who thinks like Macallister does.. Could be dynamite!

Do you think Gardyne will have to go? To release some cash?