Mighty Montrose FC Thread

Another good three points this afternoon. Both goals coming in the final ten minutes. Great that after losing a goal in the first minute, they kept looking to get something from the game. Pleased to see Gardyne and Pires Machado get the goals.

Very tough matches up ahead, although both Dunfermline and Falkirk faltered today. Airdrie, Alloa both looking strong. Edinburgh City also grinding out results. Montrose will need to finish stronger themselves but the teams above are not out of sight just yet.

10 hours ago, Brummo said:

Another good three points this afternoon. Both goals coming in the final ten minutes. Great that after losing a goal in the first minute, they kept looking to get something from the game. Pleased to see Gardyne and Pires Machado get the goals.

Very tough matches up ahead, although both Dunfermline and Falkirk faltered today. Airdrie, Alloa both looking strong. Edinburgh City also grinding out results. Montrose will need to finish stronger themselves but the teams above are not out of sight just yet.

If we didn’t get 3 points today we would have been out of the play off race. We do have a game in hand but it is against Dunfermline so it’ll be a tough ask to take anything out of that game.

With 7 games to go we are still in the hunt for the top 4 spots but a think we will just come short this year.Been a bit of a stop start season if you ask me we have never really got going and League 1 probably the strongest we have had it since stepping up.

Looking at the squad yesterday we are not far away and we have a good bunch of players at the club and we will be stronger next year.The young lad in goals clearly has potential but I'd still like us to bring in another keeper and more than happy to have him as back up,as for Lennox a think his time is up at the club.Right back area has been addressed already with Ryan Williamson been signed up on a pre-contract which is clearly what we need.Centre half wise unless we lose one all is fine,Mr reliable at LB Andrew Steeves still signed up so we are all good their.Centre midfield is where we really need to strengthen in my opinion been all over the place this year and clearly need some quality brought in.Think Mark Whatley could be away,same with maybe even Lewis Milne can't see him being at the club next year.Paul Watson great servant and has Testimonial coming up but a think his time is up at the club aswell.

Up top we have Rory Mac and CJ left another striker in and we are good to go.Honestly think we will see the best of Rory next year looks a frustrated player on the park at the moment and maybe trying a bit too hard to get that final goal but he still has bags of quality.Hoping CJ signs a new contract been getting better every year and off field problems probably affected his game this campaign.

Think Craig Brown will come onto a game next year and like the look off the new Brazilian guy looks to have something about him.We are not far away from competing again and a few tweaks in the squad and we will be back up their...COYM

• 2 weeks later...

Be good to get this season over and done with now,been a weird season and we have not got going at all, but one bad season(can you even call it that?)in the last 5-6 seasons am sure we can cut SP and his team some slack.

13 minutes ago, mo83 said:

Be good to get this season over and done with now,been a weird season and we have not got going at all, but one bad season(can you even call it that?)in the last 5-6 seasons am sure we can cut SP and his team some slack.

Lack of a right back has cost us dearly this season. Losing Sinclair back to st. Johnstone was a huge blow as well 

2 hours ago, broomiesniper said:

Lack of a right back has cost us dearly this season. Losing Sinclair back to st. Johnstone was a huge blow as well 

Yeah agree with that Sinclair has been a massive loss since he went back to the saints.The good thing is we have RB for next year now,few more out and see what we can bring in next campaign will be interesting to see who is still at the club.

My thoughts for all they're worth (very little, probably) ATM:

Lennox - offski, Matthews can stay as #2, get McKenzie back. Experienced, knows the league, knows the place, and still good for 2 years I'd think. Probably wouldn't touch the defence provided the new RB stays fit, though if someone offered £ for Allan, I'd maybe take it and use a loan for cover. Midfield - needs ripped up. Callaghan, Milne, Whatley, see you later. Wouldn't be upset if Gardyne went but someone has to be willing to buy out his last year. Watson is borderline, but would keep on as squad player for one more year. 3/4 new faces, including a loan or two. Up front, 50/50 at best on keeping McAllister. If you could get Hester instead would rather take that, and in that scenario would go for Hilson if the Smokies were inclined to let him away. Add one more on loan, and job probably done. 

Now that the season is near finished who do we keep for next year and who do we let go?

For me...

Aaron Lennox

Liam Callaghan

Paul Watson

Mark Whatley

Lewis Milne(Injured too much for me)

All done their bit for the club over the years but its time to be brutal and wield the axe more this year than we have in the past in my opinion. We have had a settled squad for years but its time to break the band up a bit and bring in some fresh faces in.Got a funny feeling we might see CJ moving on too but that's just my opinion not heard anything.

3 hours ago, mo83 said:

Now that the season is near finished who do we keep for next year and who do we let go?

For me...

Aaron Lennox

Liam Callaghan

Paul Watson

Mark Whatley

All done their bit for the club over the years but it’s time to be brutal and wield the axe more this year than we have in the past in my opinion. We have had a settled squad for years but its time to break the band up a bit and bring in some fresh faces in.Got a funny feeling we might see CJ moving on too but that's just my opinion not heard anything.

If Liam and Lewis go I would suspect CJ would be on his way too.

10 minutes ago, The Gable Endie said:

If Liam and Lewis go I would suspect CJ would be on his way too.

Yeah was kinda thinking along the lines of that aswell,pretty sure they all travel together for games.A mean don't get me wrong Lewis Milne on his day is a fantastic talent but we just don't see enough of that side.CJ aswell would 100% would keep him at the club good player to have up top,yeah he won't bang in 15-20 goals but more than makes up for it with the shift he puts in.

On 12/04/2023 at 16:00, mo83 said:

For me...

Aaron Lennox

Liam Callaghan

Paul Watson

Mark Whatley

All done their bit for the club over the years but its time to be brutal and wield the axe more this year than we have in the past in my opinion. We have had a settled squad for years but its time to break the band up a bit and bring in some fresh faces in.Got a funny feeling we might see CJ moving on too but that's just my opinion not heard anything.

agree the axe needs to be wielded.

I would definitely replace Lennox.  Can see Whatley leaving at end of contract and surprised to see Watson offered any extension unless in a coaching capacity.

We have lamented the lack of a right back but if Steeves is injured/suspended then we have no left back.  Callaghan can fit in there but not sure if he's worth retaining just for that reason.

I'd keep Milne as he's a decent squad player and think we need to keep CJ, he's improved significantly over past year or two.  No word on Matty being offered a new contract, with Dillon getting older and Aidan Quinn always struggling with injury we will be very short in the centre back position.

Gardyne will have a season left with us but I do not see what he has brought to the squad.  Maybe I expected more from him forgetting that he is also aging.  Hopefully with a 'proper' right back in the shape of Williamson we will see the return of Webby from previous seasons without the defensive responsibilities, scoring and providing scoring chances.

On 12/04/2023 at 16:00, mo83 said:

For me...

Aaron Lennox

Liam Callaghan

Paul Watson

Mark Whatley

Are a couple of them not under contract for next season?

5 hours ago, Rob1885 said:

Are a couple of them not under contract for next season?

A think Lennox,Whatley,Milne contracts are up very soon.Not sure about Callaghan and Watson to be fair, Paul Watson does have his Testimonial at some point and has been a great servant but he offers very little now. Saying that  i would have him in a coaching role as he loves the club, but am not sure if he would take one on a think he has his own business out with football and looks to be pretty busy.