Mighty Montrose FC Thread

2 hours ago, Loon From Outta Toon said:

Hutchinson’s just signed for us on loan.

He played so few minutes for us it's impossible to make an assessment of his potential.  I do hope he can contribute to keeping you boys up. 

14 hours ago, mo83 said:

... a defeat next week and we could be down to 8th place.

Don't think so, you're 4 points ahead of Queens who currently "own" 8th place thanks to our appalling excuse for a defence.

1 hour ago, The Gable Endie said:

Honestly unbelievable that SP hadn’t made a signing yet. Also he needs to switch up tactics we have been figured out since last season something needs to change ASAP.

Am sure in next day or so their could be a couple in the door.Saying that he does like to take absolutely effin ages to get the players in.

I wonder if the reason we aren't very good at the transfer market business is due to our management team being part time and having day jobs to do....?

Don't shoot me down, but it must be a factor? I know my employer wouldn't be happy if i was trying to do major non work related stuff! Scrolling insta and pie and bovril don't count! 

44 minutes ago, maz1974 said:

I wonder if the reason we aren't very good at the transfer market business is due to our management team being part time and having day jobs to do....?

Don't shoot me down, but it must be a factor? I know my employer wouldn't be happy if i was trying to do major non work related stuff! Scrolling insta and pie and bovril don't count! 

I’m not so sure that’s a major issue, a majority of managers in our league and the league below are part time and I’m sure with the contacts the management and coaching staff have in the game as well as guys like Andrew Steeves being employed at Dundee United, they’ll have a good idea of what’s available in Scotland anyway.

I think what will be effecting us more is clubs being able to name 9 on the bench and make 5 subs means that clubs above us will be more reluctant to let fringe players go. I’m not sure how much effect the 3 B teams being in the Lowland League will limit the player pool too. 

It does seem to be much, much harder to get players in than it was before Covid. I am not sure why that is- after all we are quite an attractive place to come at the moment. It's not like the old days, when the management of the day would sign any old guff that was available, as nobody really wanted to come to Links Park, if there were other options around.

Yes Petrie moves very slowly in the transfer market and that can be frustrating at times like these when there are obvious gaps in the team and further yawning gaps to appear in the summer with likely retirements coming. Arguably he's stood by a couple of players a season too long. He also seems to be fussy about who he wants in- he selects seemingly not just for playing ability but also character and desire to improve.

Whisper it, but we're unlikely to feature in the play-offs this season and the next six-nine months are all about re-setting an ageing group for a refreshed promotion effort in 23-24. By then two of the bigger teams (Pars, Airdrie, Falkirk) will likely be gone from the division to be replaced by a Hamilton side who are falling apart in front of our eyes and likely to go straight down again, and Arbroath. We also have the luxurious position of Peterhead and Clyde being as good as down already, so we don't have to worry about relegation as an issue.

I would accept moving slowly if the pay off were that there were a refreshed squad in place to try and renew top 4 momentum in a less difficult division next season. And the building of the squad needs to include a couple of players with Championship experience. This wonderful group who've delivered so many highs over the last few seasons is a really good League One outfit (or has been until recently) but it would I'm afraid stand little chance week-in week-out at the next level.

The club needs to decide if it wants to, or can, invest further to try and make the Championship, or keep investing further at the present level to ensure a competitive top half League One side which hopefully one fine day will get lucky in a play off.

Maybe we have to accept that top four in League One with the possibility of a season or two in the Championship is our level. And that's fine. The club is light years away from where it was in 2012 on and off the park. I think the support has got used to where we have been under Petrie and is wondering how we will manage to go further. I'm just happy the days of losing at home to Albion Rovers in front of crowds of 200 and finishing bottom three in the league below are done with for now.

On 04/01/2023 at 21:38, Aidan said:

Still think we might see Cammy back this season. He’s not gonna get regular minutes at St Johnstone and unless he goes to a team that plays a summer football calendar such as Republic of Ireland, he can’t play for another club this season. 

Confirmation from our manager today hes trying to loan Ballantyne to Ireland now, rather than give him any form of chance.

18 hours ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

It does seem to be much, much harder to get players in than it was before Covid. I am not sure why that is- after all we are quite an attractive place to come at the moment. It's not like the old days, when the management of the day would sign any old guff that was available, as nobody really wanted to come to Links Park, if there were other options around.

Yes Petrie moves very slowly in the transfer market and that can be frustrating at times like these when there are obvious gaps in the team and further yawning gaps to appear in the summer with likely retirements coming. Arguably he's stood by a couple of players a season too long. He also seems to be fussy about who he wants in- he selects seemingly not just for playing ability but also character and desire to improve.

Whisper it, but we're unlikely to feature in the play-offs this season and the next six-nine months are all about re-setting an ageing group for a refreshed promotion effort in 23-24. By then two of the bigger teams (Pars, Airdrie, Falkirk) will likely be gone from the division to be replaced by a Hamilton side who are falling apart in front of our eyes and likely to go straight down again, and Arbroath. We also have the luxurious position of Peterhead and Clyde being as good as down already, so we don't have to worry about relegation as an issue.

I would accept moving slowly if the pay off were that there were a refreshed squad in place to try and renew top 4 momentum in a less difficult division next season. And the building of the squad needs to include a couple of players with Championship experience. This wonderful group who've delivered so many highs over the last few seasons is a really good League One outfit (or has been until recently) but it would I'm afraid stand little chance week-in week-out at the next level.

The club needs to decide if it wants to, or can, invest further to try and make the Championship, or keep investing further at the present level to ensure a competitive top half League One side which hopefully one fine day will get lucky in a play off.

Maybe we have to accept that top four in League One with the possibility of a season or two in the Championship is our level. And that's fine. The club is light years away from where it was in 2012 on and off the park. I think the support has got used to where we have been under Petrie and is wondering how we will manage to go further. I'm just happy the days of losing at home to Albion Rovers in front of crowds of 200 and finishing bottom three in the league below are done with for now.

Brilliant post , fans are fickle and we always want more but stability , wee cup runs and decent league positions at our level is what it’s all about , think this is our level as well as would get trounced almost every week in championship , more than happy plodding along here 

We've been spoiled since Petrie came on the scene. Play offs every season and the title win became the norm. We've been punching well above our weight since promotion to league 1 and probably become far too complacent. Our aim at the start of every season is 8th or better. As it stands, it would appear that We've done that comfortably. Having said that, the squad is aging and fragile and needs some new faces. Time to earn your corn, SP.

Martin Rennie has left the building,feel the time was right to let Rennie go and find a new club.He played his part in the title winning season and made the club some money with his move to Ireland so not all bad.

1 hour ago, mo83 said:

Martin Rennie has left the building,feel the time was right to let Rennie go and find a new club.He played his part in the title winning season and made the club some money with his move to Ireland so not all bad.

Not a massive surprise really. I liked him, handled the step up from the juniors well and scored a few goals in our league winning season and our first season in League 1 but always felt he was never quite good enough to be first choice. 

Spoke to him plenty of times at games, good lad and he seems to really like the club, will probably be one of these guys that turns up to every former players event in the future.

did he sign for Clyde?

can't see him signing permanently for Podcast FC and know he knocked back Cowdenbeath. Martin's a great, wholehearted player at his best, a really good servant to the club over the years, but experience shows L2 is his level. Not been quite the same since a serious injury.

2 hours ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

did he sign for Clyde?

can't see him signing permanently for Podcast FC and know he knocked back Cowdenbeath. Martin's a great, wholehearted player at his best, a really good servant to the club over the years, but experience shows L2 is his level. Not been quite the same since a serious injury.

https://www.clydefc.co.uk/news/2023/01/18/7340/#.Y8gLXxfP2M8

3 hours ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

did he sign for Clyde?

Yes.

Hoping he can hold the ball up well. We've been crying out for a physical type player to support Jordan Allan.