Mighty Montrose FC Thread

19 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Still think Montrose are a very good side,  that's a few times recently that Dillon appears to be showing his age,,,   up front Lyons, Johnston and McAllister are really as good you can expect at his level,    like ourselves I fully expect mo to be challenging for top 4 all season.

It’s not up front I’m worried about it’s the fact we’ve conceded 20+ goals in 1 month. We’ve kept the spine from league 2 one season too many in my opinion.

29 minutes ago, The Gable Endie said:

It’s the first time since SP that we have gone backwards in terms of improvement. We need to sort this back line out it’s starting to get ridiculous how many goals we are conceding.

It's a concern and it just seems to have happened out of the blue.

When we beat the Pars at home in October the defence and midfield were solid. Since then we have been losing goals like crazy. Qos, Airdrie and that pitiful shambles against Darvel.

Let's hope we can sign somebody in the transfer window.

38 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

It's a concern and it just seems to have happened out of the blue.

When we beat the Pars at home in October the defence and midfield were solid. Since then we have been losing goals like crazy. Qos, Airdrie and that pitiful shambles against Darvel.

Let's hope we can sign somebody in the transfer window.

I was at the game against Queen’s Park a couple of weeks ago and thought Montrose were probably the better team that day. They defended pretty well for the most part and looked very dangerous going forward, the issue was just not taking their chances. Being extremely organised has been Montrose’s biggest strength since they’ve been in this league and is the main reason I generally fear playing them more than any other team. 

Is there a reason Petrie still hasn’t signed a Ballantyne replacement? I know a few guys can fill in there but none of them are a natural right back and playing for example Webster there is a waste of his abilities.

34 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I was at the game against Queen’s Park a couple of weeks ago and thought Montrose were probably the better team that day. They defended pretty well for the most part and looked very dangerous going forward, the issue was just not taking their chances. Being extremely organised has been Montrose’s biggest strength since they’ve been in this league and is the main reason I generally fear playing them more than any other team. 

Is there a reason Petrie still hasn’t signed a Ballantyne replacement? I know a few guys can fill in there but none of them are a natural right back and playing for example Webster there is a waste of his abilities.

We signed a boy on loan till January from dundee utd but he’s been injured most of the time and I think has only made 3 appearances but I’m not sure why SP didn’t sign another RB on a short term contract.

Didn't think we would see any transfer activity this window until the news yesterday that the 2 County lads are away back.Both have been very good to be fair and will be a miss but hopefully we have some others lined up as we look a bit flat last couple games and maybe a couple new faces in the door will give us a boost for the season ahead.

Hutchy turned out to be a waste of a loan signing with injury problems, opportunity to find another right back for remainder of season.

Cammy is a strange one.  Will St.Johnstone actually play him or should we expect him back for remainder.  Only 10 appearances short of his 100th for the club

Would like to see the Ross County boys back.  They never featured against Aberdeen, maybe they want to loan them out to Championship teams now?

Edited by broomiesniper

Pretty short in numbers now so hopefully we see some quality additions come in the door.

Would think this is last time we see Ballantyne in a Mo top,found it a bit strange we got him back when in my opinion championship is the next level he should be getting loaned out too proved he could handle League 1 with us so the next step is a league above.

2 hours ago, mo83 said:

Pretty short in numbers now so hopefully we see some quality additions come in the door.

Would think this is last time we see Ballantyne in a Mo top,found it a bit strange we got him back when in my opinion championship is the next level he should be getting loaned out too proved he could handle League 1 with us so the next step is a league above.

Still think we might see Cammy back this season. He’s not gonna get regular minutes at St Johnstone and unless he goes to a team that plays a summer football calendar such as Republic of Ireland, he can’t play for another club this season. 

6 hours ago, broomiesniper said:

Cammy is a strange one.  Will St.Johnstone actually play him or should we expect him back for remainder. 

Hes currently one of 11 players competing for 3 positions in our bloated mess of a squad, with a manager who seems determined to never play our own youngsters, so common sense would suggest he'll be loaned out to you again rather than letting him rot on the bench.

But we've had Kucheriavyi sitting in our stands for 5 months watching players in their 30s playing ahead of him instead of allowing him out on loan to play, so whos to know.

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Hes currently one of 11 players competing for 3 positions in our bloated mess of a squad, with a manager who seems determined to never play our own youngsters, so common sense would suggest he'll be loaned out to you again rather than letting him rot on the bench.

But we've had Kucheriavyi sitting in our stands for 5 months watching players in their 30s playing ahead of him instead of allowing him out on loan to play, so whos to know.

I'd forgotten he existed. Would absolutely take him on loan at Dunfermline. 

4 hours ago, Grant228 said:

I'd forgotten he existed. Would absolutely take him on loan at Dunfermline. 

I dont think he can play for anyone else this season?

He played for us in the Betfred Cup and then also for Montrose.

11 hours ago, Aidan said:

Still think we might see Cammy back this season. He’s not gonna get regular minutes at St Johnstone and unless he goes to a team that plays a summer football calendar such as Republic of Ireland, he can’t play for another club this season. 

Good point that!So yeah he might be back to play over 100 games on loan....Crazy stat lol.

10 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I dont think he can play for anyone else this season?

He played for us in the Betfred Cup and then also for Montrose.

I assumed he was referring to Max Kucheryavyi

It's been an odd season, we've veered violently between looking very handy (Dunfermline at home) and being an utter mess (Darvel at home).

I think we probably have to grin and bear the next two games (especially this Saturday) and hope SP gets a decent window draw before Kelty. Season now hinges on it - either we beef up and keep gnawing at top 4, or fall into a slump and land up 6th/7th.  

11 hours ago, Scorge said:

It's been an odd season, we've veered violently between looking very handy (Dunfermline at home) and being an utter mess (Darvel at home).

I think we probably have to grin and bear the next two games (especially this Saturday) and hope SP gets a decent window draw before Kelty. Season now hinges on it - either we beef up and keep gnawing at top 4, or fall into a slump and land up 6th/7th.  

shows how far we've come if we are slightly disappointed with not finishing in the top 4 in a league that includes Dunfermline, Falkirk, Airdrie and QOS!

Aidan Quinn out on loan now to East Fife. I really hope we’ve got players lined up to come in rather than waiting until the end of the window hoping the loan players we’ve had return. 

3 hours ago, broomiesniper said:

shows how far we've come if we are slightly disappointed with not finishing in the top 4 in a league that includes Dunfermline, Falkirk, Airdrie and QOS!

Agree!

We have been punching above our weight(or have we?)last season or two with strong competition in the league.

I would hope whoever we may bring in can add to that squad as it's a clearly talented buch but we need a new couple faces in.

On another note CJ and Liam up at the court in Ireland Jan 20th could be another 2 down if they get sentenced.

On 04/01/2023 at 14:40, broomiesniper said:

Hutchy turned out to be a waste of a loan signing with injury problems, opportunity to find another right back for remainder of season.

Cammy is a strange one.  Will St.Johnstone actually play him or should we expect him back for remainder.  Only 10 appearances short of his 100th for the club

Would like to see the Ross County boys back.  They never featured against Aberdeen, maybe they want to loan them out to Championship teams now?

Hutchinson’s just signed for us on loan.