Mighty Montrose FC Thread

A youth boy that we released has been signed by Aberdeen.

Looks an absolute unit for his age. Seems to have done well at Turriff so I’m guessing he has something about him, wonder if it was our decision to let him go or if he wanted to leave and go play adult football.

Yeah, I saw him at their cup game against BOD and was probably their best player. Showed good movement although the whole team were a bit iffy in front of goal that day. There is some talent to be found down there, but Shanks down the road at the unwashed maroon muck shows there is still a bit of a gap with the top end of the HL to champ/L1 even for the good ones.

Hope we can turn things around tomorrow night and stick a result on the board. 

Just now, VillaKnollBoy said:

Imagine how good we will be once Rory starts scoring!

TBF, thought he put in a tremendous shift last night and it was only a goal that was missing from his contribution. 

Agree put in a right good shift last night,the goals will come 100% would like to see Rory and CJ have a stint up front together.CJ to be fair to him caused them problems with his pace which must be a nightmare when your up against him and tiring he had them run ragged.

CJ and Rory should make a great partnership, not quite sure how SP fits them both in to the team.  If Lewis Milne is injured after his stupid backheel attempt last night then there is the opportunity.

CJ feeding off Rory would be ideal, too many times we see Rory out wide putting the ball in but he needs to be in the middle on the end of the crosses.  Still a great shift from him yesterday, unlucky not to score in the second half

• 3 weeks later...

Bumping this by saying what a great match it was today Vs the Pars. Petrie has put together a really capable squad of players. Starting with Hegg's SPFL survivors, he has added very wisely, bringing in an amazing blend of experience, and loanees. Would be great to see younger players coming through though. Any signs of this happening?

First of all what a result yesterday and fully deserved, Dunfermilne are a good team but Montrose wanted it more yesterday.Kerr Waddell for me was MOTM absolute unit at the back never missed a header the whole match and kept their Forwards quiet along with Dillion who had and excellent game too.

3 hours ago, mo83 said:

First of all what a result yesterday and fully deserved, Dunfermilne are a good team but Montrose wanted it more yesterday.Kerr Waddell for me was MOTM absolute unit at the back never missed a header the whole match and kept their Forwards quiet along with Dillion who had and excellent game too.

Waddell, for me, has been the player of the season so far with Dillon continuing to defy the years alongside him.   CJ looks far better this season too. He’s always had his non stop running but his link up play and finishing has definitely improved. 

All the loan players look terrific as well, although jury still out on Hutchinson for now until he manages a run of games 

19 hours ago, Brummo said:

Bumping this by saying what a great match it was today Vs the Pars. Petrie has put together a really capable squad of players. Starting with Hegg's SPFL survivors, he has added very wisely, bringing in an amazing blend of experience, and loanees. Would be great to see younger players coming through though. Any signs of this happening?

Think we need to get Tristan, Luca etc. out on loan next season to HL teams and not this Forfar West End rubbish. The quicker we can get them into high level senior football the quicker we will see them appearing. I’ve got to say I think Tristan could be the real deal for us after watching a couple of the u-18’s matches.

Yes, we definitely need the youngsters to step up and start featuring in our match day squad, but this is by far the deepest talented pool of players we have had at LP for as far as I can recall.

If any of those were to make the step up, it would be well deserved and respected.

25 minutes ago, VillaKnollBoy said:

Yes, we definitely need the youngsters to step up and start featuring in our match day squad, but this is by far the deepest talented pool of players we have had at LP for as far as I can recall.

If any of those were to make the step up, it would be well deserved and respected.

Agree...Very strong squad we have,to think we still have Lewis Milne,Graham Webster,Rory Macalister and Terry Masson still to come back.Webby did feature a wee bit yesterday but we haven't seem him for a month or so.

Think we need to get Tristan, Luca etc. out on loan next season to HL teams and not this Forfar West End rubbish. The quicker we can get them into high level senior football the quicker we will see them appearing. I’ve got to say I think Tristan could be the real deal for us after watching a couple of the u-18’s matches.

I think we have a mix of mainly Aberdeen and Dundee based players in the youth squads? Might be easier to get some of the Aberdeen based boys out to the HL but can’t imagine many of the Dundee based ones will be up for it so that’ll be why they end up going junior instead.

saw the game against Falkrik last week and felt we competed very well; yesterday's was a really great result.

Must admit I thought the core this group had been retained for maybe one year too many but they just keep proving people wrong. Huge expereince across the back in particular.

I am too young to remember the mid 70s glory days or the Ian Stewart high of the mid 1980s (I started around the time of Rougvie & McLelland) so this is by far the best Montrose team of my lifetime. No reason why this group of boys and a couple of canny additions couldn;t perform creditably in the league above.

To think of the pish we used to watch a few years ago, and how precarious our future, as well. Such a strong foundation has been built since then which is huge credit to everyone at the club.

saw the game against Falkrik last week and felt we competed very well; yesterday's was a really great result.
Must admit I thought the core this group had been retained for maybe one year too many but they just keep proving people wrong. Huge expereince across the back in particular.
I am too young to remember the mid 70s glory days or the Ian Stewart high of the mid 1980s (I started around the time of Rougvie & McLelland) so this is by far the best Montrose team of my lifetime. No reason why this group of boys and a couple of canny additions couldn;t perform creditably in the league above.
To think of the pish we used to watch a few years ago, and how precarious our future, as well. Such a strong foundation has been built since then which is huge credit to everyone at the club.
From the outside looking in, really does seem to be one of the best set ups in the country. All credit to you all.