Mighty Montrose FC Thread

Montrose have impressed me the few years we've been back in this division and perhaps only really lacked a prolific striker to have them really up there challenging. Could be very good business this.

Deal done for McAllister then, happy enough with that as Lyons, Gardyne, Webster and even Steeves should create plenty for him. A decent keeper and right back signed in the next couple of days and all of a sudden our squad looks about ready to go.

2 minutes ago, Aidan said:

Deal done for McAllister then, happy enough with that as Lyons, Gardyne, Webster and even Steeves should create plenty for him. A decent keeper and right back signed in the next couple of days and all of a sudden our squad looks about ready to go.

Should be covered by the loans we are allegedly about to announce.

Great signing lads. Rory's still a talented goalscorer.

Amazing how one signing changes the dynamic of the team and the hope amongst the fans.

Hopefully he'll be available for Saturday. Loves a goal, or 5, against Falkirk! Will be a harder fixture than previous years as the Bairns look stronger, especially at the back.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

To add to my earlier post, I'm very glad he's signed for you guys and not Peterhead as I expect us and Peterhead (and Edinburgh) to be fighting it out down the bottom and signing McAllister would've given them an edge.

Edited by CM.

1 hour ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Great signing lads. Rory's still a talented goalscorer.

Amazing how one signing changes the dynamic of the team and the hope amongst the fans.

Hopefully he'll be available for Saturday. Loves a goal, or 5, against Falkirk! Will be a harder fixture than previous years as the Bairns look stronger, especially at the back.

His goals return last year was largely down Cove having so many penalties, he scored 17 league goals but 8 were penalties. To only get 9 from open play in that Cove side isn't particularly great (I know he didn't start every week). Obviously a goal is a goal and it still needs stuck away from the spot, but I think the days of him winning games on his own like he did at Peterhead are gone.

That said he's not a bad signing by any means, and fully expect this post to come back to haunt me.

32 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

His goals return last year was largely down Cove having so many penalties, he scored 17 league goals but 8 were penalties. To only get 9 from open play in that Cove side isn't particularly great (I know he didn't start every week). Obviously a goal is a goal and it still needs stuck away from the spot, but I think the days of him winning games on his own like he did at Peterhead are gone.

That said he's not a bad signing by any means, and fully expect this post to come back to haunt me.

He'll take the pressure off our wingers to provide all our goals, hopefully they can just give him plenty of ammo to find the net with

45 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Not really had an out and out goalscorer in this division since they came up in 2018 so it can still be classed as a gamechanger IMO.

This signing of Rory Mac has my excitement levels right up their, last seen when we signed John "The beast " Gemmell lets hope it turns out to be better than that clown.In all honesty never in a million years did i ever think we would see the big man in a Mo top...Delighted with this signing. Absolute nuisance of a player and very strong on the ball his record speaks for himself scores year in year out, great from the club to get him on board. 

I wonder if our old pals St Johnstone would be willing to send us Ross Sinclair on loan now that they’ve got another goalkeeper in. Seems to be fairly highly rated and solves a pretty obvious issue in our squad.

If our old pals Liverpool could send us Trent Alexander-Arnold that would be great too, thanks.

Don't think I've ever seen Rory McAllister play live, but he has a helluva reputation going back to his early career. Is he heading towards his swansong days now - I've no idea.  That said, if Montrose get at least some of his goal dust magic then this could be a really decent piece of business.

Presumably the geography worked in Mo's favour here for his signing?

Oh well. Mildly optimistic rather than jumping over the moon about McAllister. If it pans out well he'll do the Tosh/Templeman role of using his experience over his pace and pick up a few with Lyons/CJ/etc doing most of the running. I just hope we haven't got him 12 months too late. Guessing Rennie may get put out on loan with that signing, now.

Probably more glad the rest of the holes in the squad got filled TBH - first three games may be tricky with time needed to bed everything in and playing what should be the three strongest teams on paper, but plenty to look forward to over the 36 games now I think.

10 hours ago, Scorge said:

Oh well. Mildly optimistic rather than jumping over the moon about McAllister. If it pans out well he'll do the Tosh/Templeman role of using his experience over his pace and pick up a few with Lyons/CJ/etc doing most of the running. I just hope we haven't got him 12 months too late. Guessing Rennie may get put out on loan with that signing, now.

Probably more glad the rest of the holes in the squad got filled TBH - first three games may be tricky with time needed to bed everything in and playing what should be the three strongest teams on paper, but plenty to look forward to over the 36 games now I think.

Rennie only under contract until January so I think he'll be away then.  Shame, was decent the year we won the league but it just hasn't happened for him since then.  Did well getting 10000euros for him and then back for nothing, perhaps the 6 month contract was out of loyalty