Mighty Montrose FC Thread

3 hours ago, The Gable Endie said:

Callaghan honking. The two youngsters Baxter and Giocummani both look like players that can be real assets for us.

A never thought Callaghan played that bad to be honest, certainly wasn't the worst on the park?Lewis Milne first half was poor I thought played better second half.

Was hoping to see Liam Fontaine but wasn't in the squad for whatever reason.Kerr Waddell was back to his best very good player when fit,also thought Craig Brown had a decent run out.

Terry Masson testimonial game tommorow great achievement for a player we signed in 2010 and now has over 380 appearances for the club. Hopefully he gets a good turn out and a win would be great too, brilliant servant for the club and deserves all this.

Back in 2015 after the Play off scare against Brora a don't think anyone could argue if we didn't see any of they players again it wouldn't be a big miss.Fast forward 5 years and Terry is still at the club along with a few others and playing most weeks.Just shows you what can happen when you play with better player's and have a good manager that trust's the way you play.

39 minutes ago, notsofedupendie said:

What’s the story with complete lack of signing activity this summer and the absence of any trialists?  Is this a cunning plan or are we fekked?

A think the Management team would have spoke to plenty of player's just seems to be a bit harder every year to get them over the line.

It's been a very quiet summer overall for every club. Lots of fans expressing frustration at the lack of signings. Unusual, to be honest.

I'm afraid players are on holiday or have just come back to pre-season and are in no hurry to sign / make their minds up until the right money comes along. Failing that, they will stick with what they have.

I do also wonder how much travelling from the Central Belt or any distance to training twice a week and a weekend game will be for some. Energy costs will really hit clubs and players this season and it's a time of great uncertainty generally.

Petrie is conservative in his approach to who he signs at the best of times so it's no surprise things are slow. I do think we need anything between 3-5 players in yet but it's only the first week in July so we have time yet.

Just need to be patient.

Edited by Ivo den Bieman

On 28/06/2022 at 09:36, mo83 said:

Looking like Liam Fontaine wont be signing heard he is away to sign for another League 1 club.

We are lacking centre backs and he played under McPake. 2+2 could equal 5 though.

I suspect what we have signed up is what we’ve got .. other than loans. That’s ok for GK as Annie is solid .. right back is a big hole as Webby ain’t Les Barr. Midfield is grim .. Tez,Winker and Whatley will get get ground down .. as for up top ..CJ seems to be getting more savvy but who else is going to score🤷🏻‍♂️

15 minutes ago, notsofedupendie said:

I suspect what we have signed up is what we’ve got .. other than loans. That’s ok for GK as Annie is solid .. right back is a big hole as Webby ain’t Les Barr. Midfield is grim .. Tez,Winker and Whatley will get get ground down .. as for up top ..CJ seems to be getting more savvy but who else is going to score🤷🏻‍♂️

Nah their will be a couple signed I think then a few loans.We will be fine SP will pull off a good signing watch this space!As for CJ completely agree getting better by the year like a fine wine 🍷

Noticed Foxy was back last night too helping with the warm up.Tony Bullock away maybe freed up a wage to bring him back to the club?Would still think we need a coach for the keeper's too mind you.

On 06/07/2022 at 07:29, mo83 said:

Noticed Foxy was back last night too helping with the warm up.Tony Bullock away maybe freed up a wage to bring him back to the club?Would still think we need a coach for the keeper's too mind you.

The young keeper made some great saves against Dundee, well maybe two....

assuming Annie is just on holiday and will be back? does anyone know?

1 hour ago, maz1974 said:

The young keeper made some great saves against Dundee, well maybe two....

assuming Annie is just on holiday and will be back? does anyone know?

Aye the keeper did do good a bit on the short side height wise but we will wait and see what happens with him.

Not a clue where Lennox was on Tuesday night to be honest.

Lennox was on holiday last month and has been in at least 1 squad for the friendliest so hopefully he’s just got a wee niggle or something and was told not to bother travelling up from Edinburgh if he wasn’t 100%

Seems to be plenty of teams struggling to get players in so far but I’m hoping we can get a keeper, right back and a striker who can at least hit double figures sorted out in the next couple of weeks. Looks almost certain now that Fontaine isn’t signing but I’d hope we’re still on the hunt for a left sided defender and another midfield option would be nice but the first 3 positions I mentioned are vital imo.

Not one for pressing the panic button just yet but come on MFC let's get a signing or two on board.Liam Fontaine away to Fc Edinburgh who was training with us and Richie Foster another who was seemingly training with the club away to a club in the USA.

Not one for pressing the panic button just yet but come on MFC let's get a signing or two on board.Liam Fontaine away to Fc Edinburgh who was training with us and Richie Foster another who was seemingly training with the club away to a club in the USA.

Who's he away to mate?

8 hours ago, Rob1885 said:
9 hours ago, mo83 said:

Who's he away to mate?

Not sure what club it is in the USA just what I was told.