Mighty Montrose FC Thread

That was an unbelievable game. You guys must be gutted but a few of your supporters were still good enough to congratulate us and wish us all the best when we walked by their bus after the game to our car. Fair play. All the best for next season guys wether we are in the same league as you or not.

Respect to you guys,  you backed your team well and in good numbers, crazy crazy game ,   we have been there plenty times before like yourse lves,   Mo seem a well run unit,    If the Dunfermline gig comes up (probably) could Petrie be tempted...

Mighty proud of your team hopefully. Fine margins.

As chuffed as we are with what unfolded today also aware of how crap it is to be on the receiving end.

Love visiting Montrose and Links for games and might do again next season but hopefully not.

Drink usually helps to get over what happened to you today.

Edited by Xanadu2112

Congratulations to Airdrie, over the season you deserve this. Gutted the Mo threw it away in the second half, but TBF we are probably not ready for the championship yet. I’m still proud of the Mo’s performance this season, and todays result isn’t an issue for me, I’m sure most Mo fans will agree.

Stewart Petrie has done a brilliant job, and so have the team, so we are very content and proud.

Good luck against the Nuevo Riche 

1 hour ago, Passionate said:

Respect to you guys,  you backed your team well and in good numbers, crazy crazy game ,   we have been there plenty times before like yourse lves,   Mo seem a well run unit,    If the Dunfermline gig comes up (probably) could Petrie be tempted...

No, I doubt it. SP and the board are a secure outfit. 
Dunfermline will be a huge demand, it could be a Falkirk predicament!?

7 hours ago, Angus of the Mo said:

No, I doubt it. SP and the board are a secure outfit. 
Dunfermline will be a huge demand, it could be a Falkirk predicament!?

Even in an even tougher League zone, who would bet against Montrose making the top four again? All of the full-time teams will have a lot of changes this summer and they won’t all work out perfectly, so having that stability and organisation that has served Montrose so well under Petrie could make the difference again. I just hope we’re not here to see it!

Must be a strange feeling for Montrose fans today. They certainly didn’t bottle it, they just weren’t able to handle an Airdrie team showing real quality and desire to do whatever they had to to win. I think Montrose actually played pretty well for most of the game, though the heads clearly went down a bit when we got it back to 3-2 and then again at 4-3. In hindsight Petrie’s subs were too negative and meant Montrose struggled to get back into the game in extra time but at the time I thought they were all sensible. Montrose are the one team in this league I really worry about playing, so hopefully we go up and get a break from you for a bit. There’s certainly been enough drama in the games this season to cover a few years.

I think the management on this ocassion blew that. 3-0 up and as the old proverb goes if it aint broke........ started the 2nd half with a back five and Cammy still on the left 🤦‍♂️ We allowed Airdrie to then control the middle of the pitch.Taking Cameron off after 45 minutrs was calamatous.

Can't understand why Gardyne was hooked either. 

Cannot fault the comittment, effort and bravery. The players must be devasted as they gave it everything. Hopefully another crack at it next season.

Oh well folks another season in League 1 ....Might no be a bad thing would have loved to go up but where we really ready?Who knows....

To be fair to Airdrie they would have won league 1 if it wasn't for Cove going about 24 games unbeaten which is some doing in any league.

Be interesting to see who we will bring in next year,we really need to push the boat and bring in a top striker.Cammy Ballantyne has their been any word on him signing on?

2 hours ago, Mo toring on said:

I think the management on this ocassion blew that. 3-0 up and as the old proverb goes if it aint broke........ started the 2nd half with a back five and Cammy still on the left 🤦‍♂️ We allowed Airdrie to then control the middle of the pitch.Taking Cameron off after 45 minutrs was calamatous.

Cannot fault the comittment, effort and bravery. The players must be devasted as they gave it everything. Hopefully another crack at it next season.

I don't think you guys blew it. After Agnew came off we started to move our midfield defensively a lot quicker and the ball through the midfield quicker too. I think any team would've struggled to keep us from winning that tie today. Good luck for next season guys! Let's hope we won't meet again for a while

On 08/05/2022 at 08:26, Mo toring on said:

First of all, Thanks to all at the Mo for another very good season overall.

It is harsh to blame the management for Saturday but at the end of the day, the buck stops with them. Losing a three goal cushion with 20 minutes to go isn't just football; it is game management found wanting.

As I saw it, Petrie subbed CJ and Gardyne because he was already thinking ahead to the final and wanted to rest them. Murray's subs, especially the big physical presence of Afolabi, who was giving the Mo defence huge problems, just piled the pressure on the Mo. That pressure ultimately yielded goals, however well the Mo sought to defend. Our attacking threat was neutralised. Rennie's goal was a crumb of comfort and fair play to the team for scrapping till the end.

However, over the course of the season, I feel, with the games at Links Park at least, game management was an issue. We didn't lose many games but those we did and those others in which we dropped points, were down, at least in part to not killing off games while we were ahead.

Next season isn't going to be any easier, so Petrie has to cultivate an absolute ruthlessness in the team, to learn from the misery of Saturday and never again squander the kind of momentum we had up until Airdrie's second goal. 

I clapped as enthusiastically as any other Mo fan on Saturday because I did feel the players gave their all. It wasn't for want of effort. However after emerging from a dazed and confused state of mind, I am past the stage of platitudes.

I hope that the team aren't just disappointed but actually spurred on and angry from Saturday to develop a new determination to learn from a horrible experience and not allow the game to be turned the way it was. Kudos to Airdrie for never giving up. They were having a nightmare yet managed to turn the game round with twenty minutes to go. They deserved to win. Their nightmare became ours.

This defeat was definitely harder to deal with than either our defeat to QoS or Morton. This had a different feel from the wipe out at Dumfries or the sickening Morton last minute winner. 

I really, really hope this won't spell the end of promotion playoffs for the Mo and that Petrie will learn and pick up the pieces and fire up the Mo to do better this coming season.

As others have said, we maybe aren't ready for the Championship yet. It is easy to have our heads turned by the success of our neighbours to the south and good luck to them but I am really grateful that Saturday was a promotion playoff and not one for relegation. How much worse would that have been?

League One is sure to be a really competitive league as the Pyramid is giving lower league football the kick in the pants it was needing.

I always cherish the dream that football success is about more than having the most money and that Montrose FC can continue to punch above their weight for many a season to come.

Hoping that if Arbroath do manage to get promoted and strengthen their side accordingly, we can benefit from that.

Right, rant over. Back to normal life.

Looking at the squad for next year as per previous years under SP theirs not going to be a whole lot of changes.Most of the squad signed up again apart from Cammy Ballantyne and Alan Fleming that's all I can think off? Craig Brown out on loan another loan stint would probably do him good.The guys on loan will go back to their clubs,Cammy F Ballantyne has been great for us  unfortunately I can't see another loan stint next year.Lyle Cameron aswell very good player and a hope he goes on to play for Dundee alot more in the Championship.

A think it's time in my opinion to let Alan Fleming move on,been a good servant to the club and part of the title winning squad but for me his time is up at the club.We could do with another keeper to keep Lennox on his toes and push him for the jersey.

Defender wise if we can sign up Ballantyne ( RB)  and get Matty Alan and Kerr Waddell fit be more than happy with what we have  in that department.In midfield a think it's the case of a couple centre midfield players big Sena at Partick Thistle would be a good addition.Out wide we have Webster,Lyons,Gardyne and Brown that could do a job their so we have cover.Forward wise a think it's plain to see CJ needs some help up that end of the pitch.Martin Rennie been out for a fair while he will probably stay but a think we need some real quality up their to reach the next level in my opinion.

Edited by mo83

^^^

Yeah, I agree with all of this though I do think that defensive cover is definitely required. We missed Matty Allan and Kerr Waddell big time on Saturday. Dillon's not getting any younger either so I reckon a new defender is required.

2 minutes ago, Paul Kersey said:

^^^

Yeah, I agree with all of this though I do think that defensive cover is definitely required. We missed Matty Allan and Kerr Waddell big time on Saturday. Dillon's not getting any younger either so I reckon a new defender is required.

A kinda thought that too but with both Waddell and Alan under contract and Aidan Quinn am not sure if we need 5 Central Defender.A player like Sena would be good can play both positions and would be a great addition.

On 08/05/2022 at 08:26, Mo toring on said:

Gardyne was fuckin' raging being subbed. Your manger went too defensive too soon. If he had stayed on you would've been the ones preparing for a play off final IMO because he was playing out his skin. You are a good team and I've always enjoyed our trips up to Montrose, it's a hard hunting ground and they'll be a good few teams that experience that. Best wishes for next season.

can only echo what's been said already.  Montrose, the last few years have been (along with Arbroath) leading the way for part time teams in Scotland.  Sustainable, community based and a loyal manager (so far).  First time I had been to Links Park last week and thoroughly enjoyed it.  I arrived a few hours early (working in Dundee that day) and I spoke to the head steward boy who stands at the home end, he was a Montrose fan, kindly showed me the best place to park, where to get something to eat etc, a real credit to the club.

I wont even mention Saturday there, you guys will have been replaying that over and over again but I hope we can go up now, and I hope Montrose have a cracking season again next time. All the best.

5 hours ago, CHEMOMAN said:

Gardyne was fuckin' raging being subbed. Your manger went too defensive too soon. If he had stayed on you would've been the ones preparing for a play off final IMO because he was playing out his skin. You are a good team and I've always enjoyed our trips up to Montrose, it's a hard hunting ground and they'll be a good few teams that experience that. Best wishes for next season.

Talking of Gardyne, I might have misread it but I'm sure I saw someone on our facebook page saying he looked like Messi. I can't imagine yer man Lionel would be too pleased with that comparison!