Mighty Montrose FC Thread

Anyone else think we shouldn’t start with a frontline line of Webby, Blair and Gardyne along with a back 3 again?  In my mind you can play a 3-5-2 or 3-5-1-1 but going 3-4-3 like we did on Saturday left Bally and Liam with too much chasing to do and simply handed control to Cove’s midfield. Might’ve got away with it if Terry had started as he gets around a bit more. Going to 4-3-3 at halftime made a difference but the front 3 didn’t work for me.  If we’re going to play a front 3 one of them will have to start on the bench. 

Anyone else think we shouldn’t start with a frontline line of Webby, Blair and Gardyne along with a back 3 again?  In my mind you can play a 3-5-2 or 3-5-1-1 but going 3-4-3 like we did on Saturday left Bally and Liam with too much chasing to do and simply handed control to Cove’s midfield. Might’ve got away with it if Terry had started as he gets around a bit more. Going to 4-3-3 at halftime made a difference but the front 3 didn’t work for me.  If we’re going to play a front 3 one of them will have to start on the bench. 
I reckon with everyone fit a 4231 or some variation of it would work. Lyons, Gardyne and Webby playing off Eli sounds sexy to me and would be very easy to switch things up when required.

The biggest thing I think SP got wrong on Saturday was not to play Paul Watson or Terry Masson in the middle of the park,both can put in a tackle when needed which we lacked in the first half and let Fraser Fyvie dictate play.Second half was alot different with Tez snapping at him and giving Fyvie not so much time on the ball as he did in the first half.

With everyone fit the Manager has a really good squad to pick a starting 11 from Lewis Milne still to come hopefully I'n  the next few weeks he has been a big miss and hopefully big Elijah will come good he looks a good prospect.

7 hours ago, notsofedupendie said:

It's a fair point depending on the opposition. We missed Cammy B and Steeves overlapping (when Webby was missing) against Alloa by playing a back four. Against Cove we needed to have overlapping full backs to stretch the Cove defence because we needed to score with the expectation that Cove would get at least one with their attacking prowess. SP was right to change it at half-time when we conceded early but to sit back from the start would have simple allowed Cove to have non-stop aggression even with a more robust midfield. As it happened they got a soft goal anyway but if it had stayed at 0-0 I've no doubt SP would have changed it in the second half to go for the winner. In hindsight you might have been right but we've won a good few games against other teams. We certainly missed a striker, but Simpson is not really up to the mark yet I don't think, maybe if CJ had been available I think his pace might have caused Cove problems  

I read somewhere that a 14 game unbeaten run in the league might be a record for the MO.

Not quite, the record is 15 set in 1974/5 between Jan/75 and Apr/75. Our record for unbeaten away games in the league is 10 so the current season falls short of that. The record for unbeaten home games stands at 22 set between 1974 and 1976. IN 1903/4 we won all our home games in the Northern League (all 11 of them) and continued into the following season by winning the next 7 home games so setting the record for successive home wins in the league.

Current season still Ok though!

Good luck to Martin Boyle on his move, cracking player
Yeah fair play to him, if the wages being rumoured are anywhere near true its life changing for him.

Wonder if we might see a bit of cash coming our way from this deal too? Can't be bothered even bothering to attempt to work out how the training compensation stuff works but if both Dundee and ourselves had sell on clauses it might be a nice wee earner.

59 minutes ago, Aidan said:

Yeah fair play to him, if the wages being rumoured are anywhere near true its life changing for him.

Wonder if we might see a bit of cash coming our way from this deal too? Can't be bothered even bothering to attempt to work out how the training compensation stuff works but if both Dundee and ourselves had sell on clauses it might be a nice wee earner.

I was thinking about that myself

Wow! I didn't see the Kelty Hearts game but never expected them to get past St. Johnstone. The performances of both Kelty and Cove certainly contrast with my recollections of really one-sided matches between the Mo and the likes of the Premier League teams, the latter pair were up against.

Sitting out this weekend leaves me feeling a bit like I do when Scotland have failed to qualify for tournament finals: lamenting over what might have been.

It isn't made any easier coming off the back of a narrow defeat from Cove and having to face a tough tie against a (possibly) revitalised Falkirk this coming Saturday.

Still, no reason to get despondent. I think the Mo are in a far better place than back in the day we shipped 9, yes NINE on a damp and dismal night at Easter Road, when Mo legend Steve Kerrigan scored - for Hibs.

Then there were the obligatory 3-0 or whatever, defeats at Perth, when however stuffy the resistance offered by Montrose, the cup exit at full-time was never really in doubt.

Thankfully, "these days are past now and in the past, they must remain" (please). Really hoping that despite other teams strengthening over the January transfer window, (i.e. Cove's acquisition of Reynolds from the Arabs, undoubtedly for quite a pile of Riyals), the Mo can stay in playoff contention. No easy task, that's for sure but after the long years of living a Mo fan's enduring nightmare, daring to dream of even better days ahead seems like a risk worth taking.

Edited by Brummo
Tidying up

Greetings mighty mo fans. falkirk fan here looking for info please.

can't see a thread for Saturdays game yet so on this thread looking for it. 

yours is one of the few grounds I've never visited so looking to take a car full up on Saturday including an Australian pal who flies in late Friday night and has never been to a Scottish game before.

if you buy tickets online is it a phone app ticket set up or do you print them off? where is best for away fans to park? is there a choice of places to sit/stand cover/uncovered? pre match bar?

cheers 

3 hours ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

if you buy tickets online is it a phone app ticket set up or do you print them off? where is best for away fans to park? is there a choice of places to sit/stand cover/uncovered? pre match bar?

Tickets can be printed out or just shown on phone and scanned.

Plenty of on street parking around the ground.

Segregation in place so away fans enter from beach end turnstiles and have identified end and part of the stand. 

Main street is only 5 mins walk from ground for food/drink.

Hope this helps you

35 minutes ago, watdeadlyone said:

Tickets can be printed out or just shown on phone and scanned.

Plenty of on street parking around the ground.

Segregation in place so away fans enter from beach end turnstiles and have identified end and part of the stand. 

Main street is only 5 mins walk from ground for food/drink.

Hope this helps you

that helps, much appreciated 👍 

Guest TedCrilly
5 hours ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

yours is one of the few grounds I've never visited so looking to take a car full up on Saturday including an Australian pal who flies in late Friday night and has never been to a Scottish game before.

cheers 

The Market arms was good in our previous fixture pre match. Filled with Falkirk fans and a decent selection of beers if I remember correctly. 

Edited by TedCrilly

6 hours ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

cheers 

Market bar in the high st is popular, also the black horse, in Murray st, which is just a continuation of the high st is a good wee bar, Guinness is the best in town if you like Guinness.