Mighty Montrose FC Thread

4 hours ago, notsofedupendie said:

Anyone go to the bounce game last night?  Any interesting trialists on show?

Went down for a little bit last night quite a feisty game against Evro football pro team,some team from Glasgow area been playing quite a few senior teams in a friendly match.We had a few first team boys out Fleming,Steeves ,Yano,Brown,Watson, Whatley,Ross Campbell and a few others.Had a guy up top that looked okay hard to tell in a game like that but he did alright.

Just listened to the bunnet on the "Sacked in the morning" podcast. It was entertaining for the most part. I remember saying years ago, I was happier to have Petrie as a manager than him. Despite what the latter has achieved with the Smokies, my opinion has not changed. With the income they're racking up in the Championship, it is hard to see how we can make up the ground necessary to fulfill Stewart Petrie's aim of making the Mo the best team in Angus but we live in hope that the long years of Gayfield gloating are numbered.

E.T.A. i.m.o. felt that Campbell's ridiculing of Gary Fraser was out of order.

Edited by Brummo
a p.s.

4 hours ago, Brummo said:

Just listened to the bunnet on the "Sacked in the morning" podcast. It was entertaining for the most part. I remember saying years ago, I was happier to have Petrie as a manager than him. Despite what the latter has achieved with the Smokies, my opinion has not changed. With the income they're tacking up in the Championship, it is hard to see how we can make up the ground necessary to fulfill Stewart Petrie's aim of making the Mo the best team in Angus but we live in hope that the long years of Gayfield gloating are numbered.

E.T.A. i.m.o. felt that Campbell's ridiculing of Gary Fraser was out of order.

Arbroath has more than double the population of the Mo.

Theoretically that’s potential for double the gate money. 
Ive no idea how a town the size of Brechin kept a team in league one for so long?

Some clubs get the money pumped in by gracious benefactors, Gretna springs to mind, but that can only last for a short time.

Queens park have come into cash, but how long will it be before that’s gone, and a small fan base can’t maintain the club. Kelty is another that comes to mind.

2 hours ago, Angus of the Mo said:

Arbroath has more than double the population of the Mo.

Theoretically that’s potential for double the gate money. 
Ive no idea how a town the size of Brechin kept a team in league one for so long?

Some clubs get the money pumped in by gracious benefactors, Gretna springs to mind, but that can only last for a short time.

Queens park have come into cash, but how long will it be before that’s gone, and a small fan base can’t maintain the club. Kelty is another that comes to mind.

Arbroath has more than twice the population of Montrose but remember that is down at least in part to the addition of "Glasgow overspill", the offspring of whom could reasonably be expected to maintain their support of the big Glasgow teams, even moreso than is the case in Montrose.

I don't know to what extent it adds to the potential support but there is probably a bigger hinterland up the coast who support Montrose.

13 hours ago, Brummo said:

Arbroath has more than twice the population of Montrose but remember that is down at least in part to the addition of "Glasgow overspill", the offspring of whom could reasonably be expected to maintain their support of the big Glasgow teams, even moreso than is the case in Montrose.

I don't know to what extent it adds to the potential support but there is probably a bigger hinterland up the coast who support Montrose.

I live in the mearns and know a fair few who come and support the mo on a Saturday 

6 hours ago, The Gable Endie said:

I live in the mearns and know a fair few who come and support the mo on a Saturday 

Aye, I’m across the Mearns from you and I take a few pals now and again spread between Craigo, Marykirk and the Rossie Brae.

I also kin a few Montrose lads who support Aberdeen, Dundee United, Hibs and Celtic / Rangers. 
But agreed with Brummo, there won’t be the same quantity of Auld firm fans in the Mo as Arbroath will have. 

There are some Stoney and Aberdeen folks travelling to the Mo as well, myself included.... That wouldn't happen if the club wasn't doing all the right things for the fans.

There's definitely a different kind of ambition with Cove/Queens/Arbroath/Kelty. They are all eyes skyward, whereas Montrose are more modest in their ambitions.

As someone already said Queens have a pot of cash, but very little means to make more when it runs out.

I think Cove are a different prospect financially from the likes of Arbroath and Kelty as the have the Oil money and a lot of Aberdeen businesses are very disillusioned with Pittodrie so are turning to Cove as their local team. Cove's sponsorship/hospitality department are relentlessly in pursuit of ££! 

3 hours ago, maz1974 said:

There are some Stoney and Aberdeen folks travelling to the Mo as well, myself included.... That wouldn't happen if the club wasn't doing all the right things for the fans.

There's definitely a different kind of ambition with Cove/Queens/Arbroath/Kelty. They are all eyes skyward, whereas Montrose are more modest in their ambitions.

As someone already said Queens have a pot of cash, but very little means to make more when it runs out.

I think Cove are a different prospect financially from the likes of Arbroath and Kelty as the have the Oil money and a lot of Aberdeen businesses are very disillusioned with Pittodrie so are turning to Cove as their local team. Cove's sponsorship/hospitality department are relentlessly in pursuit of ££! 

Kelty cant sustain this when the money stops, its Gretna stuff. Queens park will need a while to blow £5 million but can do it.

Arbroath are a result of good management, and so are the Mo, both due to Petrie and the Board.

But keeping it real, the Mo are, for the size of club / town really a League 1 team, Arbroath for years punched beneath their weight and are probably where they should be.

Brechin is a roller coaster, and have huge ambition and money apparently.

Brechin and Kelty are villages, no offence meant, but 6 k of a population can only offer a small fan base. 

I often wonder how Ross County does it. Suppose they have a huge catchment area?

58 minutes ago, Angus of the Mo said:

Kelty cant sustain this when the money stops, its Gretna stuff. Queens park will need a while to blow £5 million but can do it.

Arbroath are a result of good management, and so are the Mo, both due to Petrie and the Board.

But keeping it real, the Mo are, for the size of club / town really a League 1 team, Arbroath for years punched beneath their weight and are probably where they should be.

Brechin is a roller coaster, and have huge ambition and money apparently.

Brechin and Kelty are villages, no offence meant, but 6 k of a population can only offer a small fan base. 

I often wonder how Ross County does it. Suppose they have a huge catchment area?

It is obviously not just down to population size or hinterland. Stirling Albion and even Fort William should be much more successful were that the case. 

I think promoting a positive community culture around the club in which health and well-being are priorities is one of the ways a club in a small town and its hinterland can be better supported. 

This has been happening at the Mo.

I think it also happened with Ross County but there they have Roy MacGregor injecting cash to help the club grow. Before his backing, most of the school children in Invergordon and other places around Dingwall would have supported the OF and obviously some still do but Ross County are active in the communities and that has meant up and coming generations are more likely to identify with and support County than bigger clubs further away.

1 hour ago, Brummo said:

It is obviously not just down to population size or hinterland. Stirling Albion and even Fort William should be much more successful were that the case. 

I think promoting a positive community culture around the club in which health and well-being are priorities is one of the ways a club in a small town and its hinterland can be better supported. 

This has been happening at the Mo.

I think it also happened with Ross County but there they have Roy MacGregor injecting cash to help the club grow. Before his backing, most of the school children in Invergordon and other places around Dingwall would have supported the OF and obviously some still do but Ross County are active in the communities and that has meant up and coming generations are more likely to identify with and support County than bigger clubs further away.

Right enough, but town size is still a factor.

Maybe Stirling is too close to the OF heartlands, but you would think a town of that size would have a bigger club.

Fort William, like most of the Highlands has many of the youngsters going into Shinty instead, otherwise towns like Oban would have a decent football team

Cove have a catchment zone over the whole of Aberdeenshire, North and South. Their youth teams are quite big, and they are all given season tickets. With Aberdeen not doing as well as they used to, I think cove will start getting an influx of disillusioned dandies. I think the club has to appeal more to the mearns and try get more fans there than bothering about a potential fan base further north?

1 hour ago, Angus of the Mo said:

Right enough, but town size is still a factor.

Maybe Stirling is too close to the OF heartlands, but you would think a town of that size would have a bigger club.

Fort William, like most of the Highlands has many of the youngsters going into Shinty instead, otherwise towns like Oban would have a decent football team

The point I am making is that there needs to be a positive culture around the club which extends to wider community: e.g. football coaching by the community trust in primary schools - even as far afield as in the Mearns.

Re. Stirling Albion

Stirling County were and maybe still are a successful rugby club.

There are parts of England, Wales and Scotland where egg chasing is more prominent than football.

Maybe that is true for Stirling plus its proximity to bigger football clubs.

You mentioned the predominance of shinty in Lochaber and other parts of the Highlands. 

I think that is also a factor in the relative weakness of football in these areas, allied to their low population densities.

Montrose does not have these kinds of challenges.

In the past in the lean years, Montrose struggled to attract players but we are in a much better place now, even if we aren't in or near a big town or city.

As for Cove, I honestly don't see them being anything other than most Aberdonians' second team. They will get investment from businesses, who may be disaffected or frustrated by the Dons, as we did from Bryan Keith because his business rival Yule was involved at Aberdeen FC.