Mighty Montrose FC Thread

1 hour ago, PortyMo said:

Just watched the highlights from yesterday.  Looked like a fantastic display from the whole team. Great start to the season. 

Unfortunately I had to watch it today as well and can I just say that the better team   clearly won and that my lot were abysmal.     

Watched the game online and at no point did we look like losing. Looked like SP set the team up to play on the counter attack and the early goal cemented that approach. Despite scoring 3 and deserving another 1 or 2 I’m still concerned that we don’t have enough threat upfront. Martin played as well as I’ve seen him do for a very long time. He held the ball up and linked well with those around him but he doesn’t look confident in front of goal. Hopefully that will change. Looks like SP is trying to convert Lewis to a goal scoring No10 and fingers crossed it works. He’s a much better player now than when he first arrived .. there was never any doubt about his ability but his work rate was questionable. Not anymore .. the amount of work he gets through is incredible. A very good start for us. Will be interesting to see how we deal with a Clyde team which will no doubt defend very deep and launch it long to Goodwillie next week. In the past we’ve struggled to deal with it.

11 minutes ago, notsofedupendie said:

Will be interesting to see how we deal with a Clyde team which will no doubt defend very deep and launch it long to Goodwillie next week. In the past we’ve struggled to deal with it.

If we don’t have Ian Campbell playing I think we’ll just be ok. I think we’ll be fine with them punting it up if we have Dillon and Waddell playing. We all know Lewi Milne has the ability to score tons, we just need to get him higher up the pitch which we are doing with much success 

If we don’t have Ian Campbell playing I think we’ll just be ok. I think we’ll be fine with them punting it up if we have Dillon and Waddell playing. We all know Lewi Milne has the ability to score tons, we just need to get him higher up the pitch which we are doing with much success 

Yano did have some howlers against Clyde and a few others tbf. Latterly he was an absolute bomb scare. Thankfully his playing days are over. Cracking left foot though.

Delighted that Mochrie got on for the Arabs v. the Dons, even if it was too late to make a difference. Also the Boyler got Hibs winner against Motherwell. It can only be good for the club when former loan players make a success of things in the Premier League. While I would love the Mo to have a crack at the big time in their own right, being a proven nurturing club for top flight clubs can only raise the quality of the players turning out for us and keep us competitive in League One and maybe even better than that.

How does everyone feel about the team selection for the Clyde game? At Airdrie we had Cammy Ballantyne and CJ missing from the squad but will probably be back in contention.. Blair Lyons started on the bench as did Aidan Quinn and both did well when they came on. We played well, dominated the game and won, so do we start with an unchanged team - which would leave Cammy on the bench or risk changing it? CJ should be on the bench as he's a great impact sub but might he replace Rennie to add pace up top?

Our back line at Airdrie of Matty, Waddell, Dillo and Steeves were exceptional and we had height to deal with crosses and set pieces and when Quinn came on he won every arial ball.

If we change our back line say to Allan, Waddell, Dillon and Callaghan could we put Cammy and Steeves on the midfeld wide attacking areas with Masson and Whatley in the central back four. That leaves two up front from Webby, Milne and Lyons but it could be all three if Steeves stays back and we play 4-3-3. and still have some good options on the bench. Clyde are likely to be more of an attacking threat than Airdrie were even though Dumbarton shafted Clyde last Saturday.

Good options for SP and Hopefully he'll get t right again.

Matty has started to strongly this season so I do not want to see him come out the team however Cammy will always be a starter for me. I think we need to look at getting the 5 at the back formation which was so successful in the league winning season with Cammy and Steeves bombing forward at every opportunity.

Would quite like to see the below tried out. Extremely solid at the back and lots of attacking options. Milne in a false 9 position.

Flem
Allan Waddell Dillon
Ballantyne Steeves
Whately Masson
Milne
Webby Lyons

2 hours ago, broomiesniper said:

i'd be tempted to go with "if it ain't broke don't fix it".  Is Cammy fit for this weekend?  I'd much rather keep CJ on the bench, as much as I get infuriated by Rennie he played well on Saturday, holding the ball up well and bringing others into play

A think it would be pretty harsh to to drop any of the starting 11 from last week,keep it as it is for me.Shows how strong the squad is we have this season and pretty certain their will be 1-2 players still to come in.

Absolutely champing at the bit to get back to LP once quarantine ends on Monday. When I think back to the worst match I ever saw when I was back on a visit here against East Fife in Methil during the shambolic Black era and contrast it to how things are these days with the buzz of anticipation around the club, I honestly have to pinch myself to believe it's for real. Incredible turnaround. Amazing work by all concerned. Okay, it is only the start of the season but while I want my expectations to be realistic, I can't help but feel optimistic that this particular bubble may not pop for a while yet. I really do hope this season does turn out to be Montrose FC's finest yet!

BBC News - Scottish Leagues 1 & 2: Things to look out for this season

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57934783

Not a peep about Montrose FC.

Just the usual hack BBC  "journalist" fanboy dross we have got used to over the years.

While it would be good to see SP and the team recognised more for what they are achieving, being perennial dark horses is something I can live with, especially if they end up ahead of the more fancied teams.

1 hour ago, Brummo said:

BBC News - Scottish Leagues 1 & 2: Things to look out for this season

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57934783

Not a peep about Montrose FC.

Just the usual hack BBC  "journalist" fanboy dross we have got used to over the years.

While it would be good to see SP and the team recognised more for what they are achieving, being perennial dark horses is something I can live with, especially if they end up ahead of the more fancied teams.

Clearly knows nothing about the league Queens Park are full-time too.

Pretty gutted we are not sitting top of the league 2 clear table still looks good bit Saturday draw felt like a defeat at the end.

The return of the Lanky £££ chaser this weekend when Peterhead rock up at Links park hopefully get back to winning ways.

9 hours ago, mo83 said:

Pretty gutted we are not sitting top of the league 2 clear table still looks good bit Saturday draw felt like a defeat at the end.

The return of the Lanky £££ chaser this weekend when Peterhead rock up at Links park hopefully get back to winning ways.

Hopefully he plays like the player who first signed for us and not the goal scorer he was when he left to chase the cash 

1 hour ago, broomiesniper said:

Hopefully he plays like the player who first signed for us and not the goal scorer he was when he left to chase the cash 

I can see McLean trying to stick with Dillion through the game,if he comes up against Kerr Waddell he will be to physical for rusty he doesn't like the physical side of Football Kerr will eat him up with high balls coming at him.

10 hours ago, mo83 said:

I can see McLean trying to stick with Dillion through the game,if he comes up against Kerr Waddell he will be to physical for rusty he doesn't like the physical side of Football Kerr will eat him up with high balls coming at him.

I think he knows he can take a pop from outside of the box and get a goal with the state our goalies are in.