Mighty Montrose FC Thread

A think after Saturday is out the way we might see 1 or 2 coming in on loan.The striker's we have at the moment aren't bad we just need a bit more quality up top in my opinion.On the other hand as previous years SP very rarely pushes the panic button so if their isn't a striker out their who he thinks can improve the squad he will just make do with what he has at the moment.

2 hours ago, The Gable Endie said:

I think SP is trying to make a striker out of Lewis Milne or is just trying to play him higher up. I think we missed Cammy Ballantyne at the back but it’s good to see Matty Allan getting some minutes. I think we passed the ball ok but lost it too often. CJ had a good cameo at the end and I would like to see us play him with Rennie in the league like the good ‘ol days. My MOTM has to go to Seagull as he had just one of those performances. Hopefully he can keep it up in the league for once.

Rennie seems bereft of any confidence.  As much as its good to have him and CJ around the squad, I'd much rather have others brought in ahead of them

2 hours ago, broomiesniper said:

Rennie seems bereft of any confidence.  As much as its good to have him and CJ around the squad, I'd much rather have others brought in ahead of them

A think they will all have their part to play in the season coming up bit agree 1 or 2 more quality attacking players coming in wouldn't go a miss.

Also, what’s everyone’s thoughts on Mcpake’s comments after the game last night? I know the late challenge by Waddell was late, clumsy, unwarranted etc but think it was very unprofessional of McPake to publicly claim Waddell intended to injure the Dundee player 

Edited by broomiesniper

1 hour ago, broomiesniper said:

Also, what’s everyone’s thoughts on Mcpake’s comments after the game last night? I know the late challenge by Waddell was late, clumsy, unwarranted etc but think it was very unprofessional of McPake to publicly claim Waddell intended to injure the Dundee player 

Waddell clearly intended to stop their counter attack and mucked it up. I think McPake is just angry because it could’ve ‘broken’ McGowans leg, but surely McPake will get fined for such a comment.

3 hours ago, broomiesniper said:

I've seen worse tackles in a game but it was a sore one for the lad and thankfully (a think) he is alright,limped off but think he is fine.

As for McPake comments a was a bit disappointed he came out and said what he did maybe a rush of blood at the end of the game.

Aidan Quinn not sure where he has been to be honest? Did he not have Covid?Good soild player for us aswell a like Quinn,still a bit raw but loads of potential. 

What's everyone thoughts on the new signings?

Mark whatley- what I have seen of him I've been Impressed good hard worker in the middle of the park that does all the dirty work be a good player for us over the course of the season. 

Craig Brown-Another player I like what I see and can see how we have taken a chance on him.Quite fast and direct and looks as though he has a few tricks up his sleeve.Still raw and learning but I have a good feeling about him a think he will be a good addition to us aswell.

Whatley looks like he'll do the old Paddy Cregg job, handy player.

Slightly worried about having the same problem of the mid 2000's with too many midfielders and no enough forwards just now. Awaiting what SP pulls out of the loan rabbit hat, I spose.

Edited by Scorge

12 hours ago, Scorge said:

Whatley looks like he'll do the old Paddy Cregg job, handy player.

Slightly worried about having the same problem of the mid 2000's with too many midfielders and no enough forwards just now. Awaiting what SP pulls out of the loan rabbit hat, I spose.

I wonder how many good strikers are actually in the loan market, I remember Euan Henderson being a semi-flop and he played more on the wing. Concerning, maybe SP will dive into the non-league market and get a gem like Martin Rennie but one that can actually play in League 1! 

The loan market has served us pretty well since SP and his team took over shows how far we have come as a club in a short space of time.For years when Montrose were rank rotten we would get a player on loan that was getting released from their parent club at the end of the season and half the time they weren't very good we did get the odd good player not saying they were all bad.Now we seem to get players on loan that are close to being in the first team I.e Euan Henderson.

Not sure who is out their to bring in but am sure they will have their eye on someone and it seems we have a good relationship with the likes of St Johnstone and Hearts and a few others so we might see another player from their coming in.

How did Harry Cochrane get on at yous?
Harry did OK with us. Wouldn't have said he did anything exceptional but was always neat and tidy. I hope he does well for you however I feel like there is huge expectation on his shoulders because of what he did at Hearts at a very young age. Since then he didn't get much of a game with the Pars (although he did have injury problems) and did OK for us. Out of our loanee signings last year I rated Mochrie of Dundee United and Ballantyne of St.J above Cochrane.

4 hours ago, GableEnder21 said:
5 hours ago, qos1990 said:

Harry did OK with us. Wouldn't have said he did anything exceptional but was always neat and tidy. I hope he does well for you however I feel like there is huge expectation on his shoulders because of what he did at Hearts at a very young age. Since then he didn't get much of a game with the Pars (although he did have injury problems) and did OK for us. Out of our loanee signings last year I rated Mochrie of Dundee United and Ballantyne of St.J above Cochrane.

Talking of Mochrie there's a possibility he might be coming to us. What's he like will he do okay in the Championship.

5 hours ago, raith1974 said:

Talking of Mochrie there's a possibility he might be coming to us. What's he like will he do okay in the Championship.

1) Burgeoning talent. 

2) Yes*

(*With decent management)

22 hours ago, qos1990 said:

Injury hampered his time at us but he never put in a bad performance. The problem was that he didn’t put any good performances. He’ll probably just be bang average with you too. I would say our two other loanees were better than him last year.

18 minutes ago, broomiesniper said:

Brilliant performance by all involved today. The Mo mixed it up well, went long when required but played a lot of good football on the deck as well 

Well played today, thoroughly deserved and I think you had another couple of gears if you needed them,  not sure about your squad depth though,  don't see any reason why you do not have another strong season...

We were worse than poor, and we are a lot better than that,  how did you guys rate Dylan Easton when he played for yourselves....