GableEnder21

Mighty Montrose FC 2020/2021

1 hour ago, broomiesniper said:

any highlights available from Saturday and Tuesday?

not seen any yet,to be honest their wasn't much doing the whole 90mins.

Sad news about former Mo player and manager: BBC News - Aberdeen: Former defender Chic McLelland dies at the age of 63

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55454098

Nothing as yet on Montrose FC website or Twitter. Can someone let them know?

Edited by Brummo
Passing on information.

3 hours ago, Brummo said:

Sad news about former Mo player and manager: BBC News - Aberdeen: Former defender Chic McLelland dies at the age of 63

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55454098

Nothing as yet on Montrose FC website or Twitter. Can someone let them know?

Our co-manager when we were promoted in 1991.

A Mo legend. RiP

19 hours ago, Brummo said:

Thanks to the "big" teams' stalemate, my Christmas just got even happier :)

It is a pity the later matches did not have a similar outcome.

However was wondering to myself, if Tuesday night's damp squib was just the price you paid for being a part-time team. Expecting players to drive half the length of the country after work and give a top performance was a big ask. But I certainly didn't grudge them having yesterday off. At the end of the season though, when promotion may hinge on small margins, I did ponder, whether we would look back to that freezing cold Tuesday at Balmoor and rue those dropped points.

Full-time teams carry with them a higher level of expectation. They are paid to perform and entertain as their "day job". Of course the fact that Thistle had a relatively short commute to Falkirk, within the central belt meant that had they gone down the rescheduling route along the M90, it would doubtless have made less of an impact on their performance.  With no fans to take into account, other than those online, it would not have been any  less lucrative for the teams to switch to Tuesday.

The fact that playing on the Saturday after Christmas proved to be no advantage whatsoever, does seem a decent outcome for Montrose who will visit the Falkirk Stadium on the 16th. I really hope we can get a long-awaited win against a team, I feel have taken more points off the Mo than were deserved. If we play as well as we did against Dumbarton, I do not see why we this won't happen. Of course for now, there is the matter of trying to beat Forfar in our next fixture: a derby game, they will certainly be up for. It is a long road until the season ends away to Cove in May but I am feeling this truncated '20-'21 campaign could be a special one for the Mo*.

(* No, I don't think I have just jinxed it.)

Just came across this on the Falkirk thread... Do they seriously think SP would  be prepared to drop a division to be their manager?

On 27/12/2020 at 12:09, Brummo said:

Just came across this on the Falkirk thread... Do they seriously think SP would  be prepared to drop a division to be their manager?

Every league has 2 or 3 teams that cant accept they are playing in a league which is beneath where they think they should be.

Its not always the managers to blame, the board / Chairmen can be the bigger issue.

Falkirk are sitting top of a tough league and some are looking at a replacement? 
Ive always thought if SP was going to be poached it would be Dunfermline, who are doing okay just now and probably not looking?

Montrose don’t have the same pressures as these teams, because we are playing where we should be, and that lack of expectation probably helps create a happier team spirit, with better football. 

7 hours ago, Angus of the Mo said:

Montrose don’t have the same pressures as these teams, because we are playing where we should be, and that lack of expectation probably helps create a happier team spirit, with better football. 

I dispute the phrase, "playing where we should be". Judged by our performances over several decades, that would consign us to bumping along the bottom of League 2. 

I remember hearing a statement to the effect that Montrose FC targeted being a League 1 (or its then equivalent) side, with occasional sojourns in the league above. This is what other part-time teams have achieved, so it surely remains an ambition for the club.

While League 1 survival is the bottom line, I think we have the nucleus of a team which has the mentality it takes to win a league and has already done so in 2018. That was no small achievement, considering how close Peterhead ran them, right down to the wire.

The pressure on us is certainly not as great as on others in this league and that is certainly an advantage.

Arbroath's unexpected success a couple of seasons back certainly serves as an example of what can be done if the team starts to get some form and maintains the momentum.

The right results in the next couple of games and things could get interesting!*

e.t.a. Just watched SP and RC on "Mr and Mr" and accept that it would not take much to blow any hopes out of the water: loan players called back, injuries, or worst case, Covid19 ripping through the team but really encouraged by what has been achieved so far and would love to see even more reward for all the hard work done by so many at the club.

Edited by Brummo
Additional haverin'

I cant see petrie leaving. He has a decent job which works in well with part time management. Can’t see him risking it for a shot at full time management where he could be chucked after a short time. Montrose are arguably the best run part time team in scotland and he has a good relationship with the board. There is no reason why Montrose couldnt go up and survive in the championship

25 minutes ago, Aufc said:

I cant see petrie leaving. He has a decent job which works in well with part time management. Can’t see him risking it for a shot at full time management where he could be chucked after a short time. Montrose are arguably the best run part time team in scotland and he has a good relationship with the board. There is no reason why Montrose couldnt go up and survive in the championship

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952njo6y4umuqjnjxltfq

How's Harry Cochrane looked for you lot this season?
He's done pretty well in my opinion although I still feel there is more to come from him. He has been overshadowed by our other loan Cammy Ballantyne in the midfield who has been outstanding. I thought he would be more of a goal threat than he has been but he has got stuck in and you can see he always looks to play forward.

38 minutes ago, GableEnder21 said:
2 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:
How's Harry Cochrane looked for you lot this season?

He's done pretty well in my opinion although I still feel there is more to come from him. He has been overshadowed by our other loan Cammy Ballantyne in the midfield who has been outstanding. I thought he would be more of a goal threat than he has been but he has got stuck in and you can see he always looks to play forward.

Yeah from the games I saw him in for Hearts he'll sit and do the dirty work so other players around him can get on with playing football which is maybe why Ballantyne's been so succesful in there.

Debate on our thread has been ongoing about how we never seem to get the best out the loan market. Some saying that clubs won't send their youngsters to the third division of scottish football but you lot seem to have flattened that arguement this season with the signings of Cochrane, Mochrie and Ballantyne. 

The Nairn game next week is giving me the fear. Montrose FC have a pretty abysmal cup record against Highland League opposition.

Hopefully we do enough to get past them.

4 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

The Nairn game next week is giving me the fear. Montrose FC have a pretty abysmal cup record against Highland League opposition.

Hopefully we do enough to get past them.

I know what you mean and I hope the same. Realistically though SP will again play a 'fringe'team. That said, this season's fringe team should still do the job when you look at who was on the bench yesterday, Matty Allan, Aiden Quinn, Liam Callaghan, Paul Watson, Terry Masson, Lewis Hawke, Aaron Lennox and both Campbells. He will want to give them pitch time  along with some of the lads already in the side but maybe the loanees might not play. Also depends why McLean was out on yesterday.

It's no disrespect to Nairn and if we lose to them it will be hard for us fans to take but good luck to them and even if we win it'll be behind closed doors in the next round - just our luck to get Aberdeen away BHD! Our priority is to give the wider squad some valuable pitch time and focus on League 1 but as I say, I think our fringe squad is strong this season even though in the performance yesterday against Forfar we didn't exactly cover ourselves in glory.

I am glad that the Nairn game is happening when it is.  It means an extra week to work on things ahead of the Falkirk game. No disrespect to Nairn but I think it is a better draw, even allowing for the long distance travel, than having to play a Championship side prior to resuming league business. Arbroath away is surely a bigger ask for Falkirk, even if there is literally nothing separating the teams.

Hoping we put in a decent shift at Nairn and don't pick up any injuries. I still groan inwardly when I think of how injuries picked up  in the Lothian Thistle  Hutchison Vale cup tie were a contributing factor in the 2015 relegation playoff season.

Another concern is that it gets played on Saturday, as a jaunt up to the highlands on a wintry Tuesday night would be especially brutal ahead of a crunch Saturday game.

E.t.a. Heard that live streaming of cup tie from Nairn will be an option but nothing about it so far on Nairn County FC website. Was interested to see on there that they have been responding to restrictions brought about by "Covid18"!

Edited by Brummo
Additional haverin'

You probably already know, but our manager has confirmed Cammy F Ballantyne will be staying with you lot until the end of the season.

Seems there was an option to recall him but they've decided a full season at Montrose is better for his development, before pushing for our team next season.

You probably already know, but our manager has confirmed Cammy F Ballantyne will be staying with you lot until the end of the season.
Seems there was an option to recall him but they've decided a full season at Montrose is better for his development, before pushing for our team next season.
Delighted. Thanks for letting us know.

5 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Excellent news cracking wee player so he is.Big future ahead of him if he keeps progressing the way he is.

After last seasons washout at Bonnyrigg, I hope that SP takes the cup seriously. A good run could bring in some much needed revenue.
A good draw might even see us on TV.