Mighty Montrose FC Thread

18 minutes ago, Peter LaFleur said:

What happened to Mochrie at the tail end of the season? Him and Cammy F Ballantyne were always standouts against Falkirk and I noticed he’s been benched for a while. Gutted to see Montrose fall last night, would have loved for you to have been promoted. 

I think SP changed the shape a little and he had a bit stiffer competition in where he may have fitted in. I also noticed his form dropped a tad which may be another reason.

42 minutes ago, mo83 said:

Good signing for me leader on the park just what you need and want in a player and at a good age too.Heard we were signing Greig Spence too but will wait and see if that happens.

Good luck signing Greg Spence. We had him on loan from Stennie for the tail end of the season. Afraid he looked like a shadow of his former self. Glad we are not in the running for him!!

Agreed, was a player who I always wanted ti see in an arbroath shirt and was such a disappoint when it happened, seems to have massively declined,

Good luck signing Greg Spence. We had him on loan from Stennie for the tail end of the season. Afraid he looked like a shadow of his former self. Glad we are not in the running for him!!

12 hours ago, Aidan said:

In a weird way I feel like it's a good thing that I'm annoyed that we haven't gone through. My earlier confidence has been proven to be misplaced but I still absolutely love this team. I said to a couple of Montrose supporting pals earlier that if we didn't win I have a feeling that SP might move on, I really hope I'm wrong again.

I hope you are wrong too, I really think SP wants to see us as the top team in Angus before he moves on.  As it has been said many times, he has a good job away from football so is maybe content working in part-time football

Hopefully Rusty signs on again, a real turn around in his play over the past 12 months or so.  We have always harped on about needing an out and out goalscorer but I reckon our first task is to get reliable, consistent keepers on board

There's some interesting stuff about Pep Guardiola and how he has defied convention regarding the need for a striker and lots of other ideas. Granted he has a (cough) little more money to spend than SP but nevertheless there are some interesting ideas about how his approach has made a difference for City this year. When I listened to Ross Campbell on the Pyramid Podcast, I was impressed by the professionalism of his approach. Clearly football nowadays at lots of different levels is about maximising small margins and making them count. The Iceland national team's progress at the Euros a few years back was an example of this. 

The Mo seems to be on a similar track, as can be seen in how a number of players have been able to thrive under Petrie's leadership. Getting the best from players and knowing how to get the squad to play in ways which maximise its potential is clearly what gives teams the edge. 

We fell just short of a Championship level win yesterday but it surely is tantalisingly close to being within this team's grasp to clinch it sooner rather than later.

Here's the Pep Guardiola article...

BBC News - Man City win Premier League: ‘We’ve never seen anything like this before’ - Micah Richards
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56959792

Edited by Brummo

1 hour ago, WhoAmI said:

A think Spence just needs a club to settle at for a few years.Too much chopping and changing every year.Never did much at Stenny but they have been piss poor,Mark Mcuigan has been quiet aswell their probably due to the fact the players around him.Will wait and see if he does join and see how he gets on.

Edited by mo83

2 hours ago, Brummo said:

There's some interesting stuff about Pep Guardiola and how he has defied convention regarding the need for a striker and lots of other ideas. Granted he has a (cough) little more money to spend than SP but nevertheless there are some interesting ideas about how his approach has made a difference for City this year. When I listened to Ross Campbell on the Pyramid Podcast, I was impressed by the professionalism of his approach. Clearly football nowadays at lots of different levels is about maximising small margins and making them count. The Iceland national team's progress at the Euros a few years back was an example of this. 

The Mo seems to be on a similar track, as can be seen in how a number of players have been able to thrive under Petrie's leadership. Getting the best from players and knowing how to get the squad to play in ways which maximise its potential is clearly what gives teams the edge. 

We fell just short of a Championship level win yesterday but it surely is tantalisingly close to being within this team's grasp to clinch it sooner rather than later.

Here's the Pep Guardiola article...

BBC News - Man City win Premier League: ‘We’ve never seen anything like this before’ - Micah Richards
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56959792

He’ll get to manage the top team in Angus when the top team in Angus manager decides to hang up his bunnet

23 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Would you not say there’s a great chance of that happening? 

Whatley is a great guy and player to have in your squad.

Great chance of it happening when?

34 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

When D.C. retires obviously. Petrie stick on for it 

More chance of Sp going to Dunfermline I'm afraid. When DC retires / gets the sack from Arbroath their will be a bitter bust up and he will become Montrose director of football 😉

3 hours ago, The Gable Endie said:

Why would he want to undo his progress at Montrose though? It’s completely illogical. When he goes it will be to a full time team not part timers.

Why would he undo his progress at Montrose though? Taken you as far as you’ll go. Why would he go FT thought he has a good job? 

7 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Would you not say there’s a great chance of that happening? 

Whatley is a great guy and player to have in your squad.

Petrie has a stated aim of making Montrose the best part-time in Angus. He wants to compete with Arbroath, so simply taking over from Dick Campbell is surely not fulfilling his ambition.

Dick has actually been attending quite a few Montrose games (contrary to regulations - but he is allowed in). I am not sure of the reason for his attendance, although being the father of two players and a friend of Stewart Petrie's, it maybe shouldn't be too surprising.

The signing of Whatley is arguably evidence of co-operation between the clubs but I think talk of Arbroath FC becoming the Mo's feeder club is premature and unwarranted.

I certainly hope the reverse is also not true. The thought of Dick pulling the strings at Links Park,  grooming his protégé to take over at Gayfield is outrageous and frankly the stuff of nightmares.

Edited by Brummo
Erudition