Mighty Montrose FC Thread

4 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Won't need me to remind you that Brechin won these playoffs not too long ago having lost more league games than they won that season (and Mo's current record is W9 L7).

😉

I genuinely hope Brechin can turn their supertanker of decline round. I get fed up hearing from the likes of Tom English and other so-called experts, who know diddly squat about lower league football talking about his desire to see "ambitious" clubs thrive, when it really only means "bank-rolled" clubs.

Montrose FC followed a different path from Brechin. Ironically, partly because we did not have the success that Brechin enjoyed on the pitch.

While Brechin invested in players to keep them competitive Montrose invested in corporate hospitality and in community development etc.

I don't doubt that Brechin, far from being a "dead wood" club are wanting to be back to competing in League One at least.

Surely there is more to being an ambitious"club than 1) being a rich man's plaything or 2) being a club from a big city, with a substantial fan base and attendant investment from businesses. 

I am not complaining about the likes of Kelty, Edinburgh City, Cove and Queens Park as I think they do bring something to the table, Brora less so. However, there are more laudable ways of achieving success than simply having loadsamoney, something lost on the majority of pundits.

Still not got over the excitement of last night. I honestly thought Thistle played Blair Lyons badly and didn’t cause us as much damage as he could’ve. I think it’s a testament to where the club has come that I would’ve been disappointed if we didn’t make playoffs. Hopefully we go even further in the playoffs and give a good account of ourselves. There’s even an outside chance that we’ll have an Angus derby next season!

On 01/05/2021 at 18:44, Chapelhall chap said:

We did you a favour in beating EF so I hope you can beat Thistle and I hope  we can keep up our winning streak over Falkirk.  There have been surprises over the last few days so I am not predicting anything now. Best wishes

High hopes came true. Now for interesting games . 

Well done Montrose wish you well in the play offs great to see a part time team punching above their weight. The Mo are a prime example of the roller coaster ride of lower league football. A couple of poor managers and two or three bad transfer windows and you could be fighting for your future, then a good management team with good player recruitment bringing a feel good atmosphere to the club. Just look at Brechin to see how quickly it can go tits up. Enjoy the good days of supporting a lower league team. After seeing Morton in the cup at Bayview you have nothing to fear.