Mighty Montrose FC Thread

5 hours ago, A Username With Mo In It said:

To be honest I wouldn't be bothered whether we make the split or not as I don't think we're nearly ready for promotion playoffs anyway.

Staying in League 1 is fine for me and I will be glad to see the back of this stop/start season.

While it is good to dare to dream, can you honestly imagine a worse nightmare from a fan's perspective, than watching a replay of what happened last night, week in, week out for a season? I do not think we have a bad team, or one lacking potential. I just think the disruption caused by the Pandemic restrictions has not allowed the level of progress to be made that would have allowed the team to step up to the Championship.

Thistle played really well last night. Were we just wabbit from having played too many games in a short space of time? Maybe there was an element of that but having seen how we were dismantled in the second half, I do wonder if even teams at Championship level, would have done much better, as everything seemed to be working for Thistle, from front to back.

SP has a stated aim of the Mo being the best team in Angus. I think we are improving but whatever we can make of last night's debacle, there is some way to go yet. I do still think there are better days beyond the immediate hurt of yesterday's thumping. So I will take that particular Beatles' classic song currently playing in my head and fling it right in the sea! Maybe not ready just  yet to crank up Primal Scream's "Movin' on up" but still, as the Monkees so aptly put it: "I'm a believer".

https://youtu.be/wB9YIsKIEbA

Edited by Brummo
Monkeeing around.

2 hours ago, Brummo said:

While it is good to dare to dream, can you honestly imagine a worse nightmare from a fan's perspective, than watching a replay of what happened last night, week in, week out for a season? I do not think we have a bad team, or one lacking potential. I just think the disruption caused by the Pandemic restrictions has not allowed the level of progress to be made that would have allowed the team to step up to the Championship.

Thistle played really well last night. Were we just wabbit from having played too many games in a short space of time? Maybe there was an element of that but having seen how we were dismantled in the second half, I do wonder if even teams at Championship level, would have done much better, as everything seemed to be working for Thistle, from front to back.

SP has a stated aim of the Mo being the best team in Angus. I think we are improving but whatever we can make of last night's debacle, there is some way to go yet. I do still think there are better days beyond the immediate hurt of yesterday's thumping. So I will take that particular Beatles' classic song currently playing in my head and fling it right in the sea! Maybe not ready just  yet to crank up Primal Scream's "Movin' on up" but still, as the Monkees so aptly put it: "I'm a believer".

https://youtu.be/wB9YIsKIEbA

Think you are being quite hard on yourselves, last night was the kind of night that happens every 2/3 seasons where everything went right for us, that added to the fact we have strength in depth which allows us to freshen things up with like for like replacements.

Our players before the game were saying that the game at LP earlier this season has  been the toughest game this season. I hope you make the top 5 playoffs because over the seas you have deserved it with some great results.

The only thing that is likely to stop you is the insane number of games you have been asked to play. The SFA / SPFL have  a total disregard for anyone other than the OF and any full time team would struggle with the schedule you guys have. I would play a youth team v Killie on Saturday if I was SP and rest as many players as possible.

Good luck.

Waddell was on the bench last night.
I think we have a far worse problem than our goalkeepers. We haven't got an out and out striker. Webby has been our most consistent scorer for 2 or three years now and he's a winger.

Until we've got a proven scorer in our team we'll never be a real threat in this league.

Think you are being quite hard on yourselves, last night was the kind of night that happens every 2/3 seasons where everything went right for us, that added to the fact we have strength in depth which allows us to freshen things up with like for like replacements.
Our players before the game were saying that the game at LP earlier this season has  been the toughest game this season. I hope you make the top 5 playoffs because over the seas you have deserved it with some great results.
The only thing that is likely to stop you is the insane number of games you have been asked to play. The SFA / SPFL have  a total disregard for anyone other than the OF and any full time team would struggle with the schedule you guys have. I would play a youth team v Killie on Saturday if I was SP and rest as many players as possible.
Good luck.

They have been asked to play that number of games by, erm, themselves and the other fans in the bottom two tiers, not the SPFL or SFA.

Opinions on cammy ballantyne? Rumours going around that we’ve signed a rb on a pre contract and his name has popped up.

Best RB in the league IMO. Always get 7/10 from him and usually more than that. Would be a big loss if he was to go but I’ve no doubt the lure of full time football would be hard to turn down. If he goes he goes with nothing but best wishes and thanks for the memories.

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

They have been asked to play that number of games by, erm, themselves and the other fans in the bottom two tiers, not the SPFL or SFA.

Not arguing with that but why couldn’t they have given Montrose another day and played on Sunday morning, surely that’s not beyond the SFA to organise?

14 minutes ago, Vinnyjag said:

Not arguing with that but why couldn’t they have given Montrose another day and played on Sunday morning, surely that’s not beyond the SFA to organise?

Then they'd be playing Sunday-Tuesday instead of Thursday-Sunday - so they'd still have a two day gap.

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

Then they'd be playing Sunday-Tuesday instead of Thursday-Sunday - so they'd still have a two day gap.

They played last night so have today and tomorrow morning before KO, if the played Sunday lunchtime they would have Sunday afternoon Monday and Tuesday before their 7.45 KO.

It’s not rocket science to schedule games equitably, I don’t even support Montrose not sure why I’m even debating with you, I just think it’s wrong to ask them to play 39 hours after the end of their last game.

42 minutes ago, Vinnyjag said:

They played last night so have today and tomorrow morning before KO, if the played Sunday lunchtime they would have Sunday afternoon Monday and Tuesday before their 7.45 KO.

It’s not rocket science to schedule games equitably, I don’t even support Montrose not sure why I’m even debating with you, I just think it’s wrong to ask them to play 39 hours after the end of their last game.

In normal circumstances where a team had a fixture pile-up, yes, but the League 1 and League 2 specifically voted for a resolution which approved playing Saturday-Tuesday-Thursday-Saturday as a way of dealing with these pile-ups.

27 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

In normal circumstances where a team had a fixture pile-up, yes, but the League 1 and League 2 specifically voted for a resolution which approved playing Saturday-Tuesday-Thursday-Saturday as a way of dealing with these pile-ups.

SPFL Leagues 1 & 2 have no say over the SFA ran Scottish Cup.  Sunday morning would have been much more suitable.  

To be fair, Montrose haven't been given a uniquely packed schedule or being asked to play more games than other teams. Between the re-start and the split, they'll have played 10 games. Same as East Fife, same as Forfar, same as Partick, 1 fewer than Dumbarton, and 3 fewer than Clyde.

SPFL Leagues 1 & 2 have no say over the SFA ran Scottish Cup.  Sunday morning would have been much more suitable.  

They knew the scheduled dates for the Scottish Cup before they voted on their schedule, and those scheduled dates did not include a Sunday morning kick-off.

The whole scheduling thing is a bit of a shit show but let's be honest, the fact we're getting any football at all while almost everything else in society has had the hammer put down on it has been a minor miracle. If these were normal times then this type of fixtureshambles would never be happening and no one would tolerate it, but both the SFA and SPFL are being dealt an ugly hand and there will be some examples like this, thus I'm inclined not to be too harsh.

In all honesty, this entire season has been a bit of an indifferent clench your teeth and get through it affair. Roll on 21/22 when we might actually be allowed in. 

Edited by Scorge

12 hours ago, craigkillie said:

They knew the scheduled dates for the Scottish Cup before they voted on their schedule, and those scheduled dates did not include a Sunday morning kick-off.

The schedule never included the death of a privileged old man whose demise has made everyone reschedule their schedule. 

The schedule never included the death of a privileged old man whose demise has made everyone reschedule their schedule. 
Exactly the point.

At the end of the day the SFA put out the kick off time which didn't give much thought to the players. Killie, if we believe that they refused to move the time, are being professional in getting any advantage in a home cup tie with a team two divisions below. I like to think if the roles were reversed we would accommodate Killie if required. I guess for Killie the cup is pretty much their season now.
Hopefully gives SP and the players an edge.