Mighty Montrose FC Thread

34 minutes ago, Scorge said:

We've all known this since August TBH.

I think Rusty would have carried over his form from last season easily, but he made his bed up the A90 and seems happy to lie in it. A couple of years ago I said I wouldn't have bothered with McAllister as I thought he might be past the peak of his powers, but given the pace he'd have to work with around him in our team I'd have had him this season over Keatings easily. If it weren't for the off-the-pitch stuff then I'd have been looking at Hester, personally. Guess we'll see what lands in the window.

Kane Hester is a good shout too,but like you say with this ongoing court case which seems to have dragged on a bit probably wouldn't touch him till we know what the outcome is.

37 minutes ago, Scorge said:

We've all known this since August TBH.

I think Rusty would have carried over his form from last season easily, but he made his bed up the A90 and seems happy to lie in it. A couple of years ago I said I wouldn't have bothered with McAllister as I thought he might be past the peak of his powers, but given the pace he'd have to work with around him in our team I'd have had him this season over Keatings easily. If it weren't for the off-the-pitch stuff then I'd have been looking at Hester, personally. Guess we'll see what lands in the window.

Agree about Rory, he'd get plenty of goals in a Montrose side for sure. Holds the ball up well and a clinical finisher. To be honest I doubted if he was the right signing when he first came to us given his age and dip in form at Peterhead but he's been brilliant; improving as his tenure goes. Got 18 months left on his contract and at that time will be 36. 

Hester I saw a fair bit of when we were in League 2 and was very impressed. He partnered Shane at the time and was some front line. I'd have gladly taken either then. With Elgin struggling I wonder if Kane will be wanting away and if Elgin will look to cash in. Admittedly under a lengthy contract. Pace and a natural finisher. Undoubtedly could score plenty in L1

Edited by CoveRangers1922

TBF there were 20 SPFL teams in Newcastle the weekend Montrose were down there apparently, some of our lads could have had their picture taken with a number of players.

Keep Keatings, as a previous poster said, Raith don't need him atm and given a run of games with us, he will bag a few.

Cammie Ballantyne will be a show of intent come January. If the board persuade the Saints to allow him to remain at LP, we will surely have eyes on the top spot.

With Blair getting a goal, could this be his return to where he left off at before he went to Partick? He’s had a goal drought since his return.
Missed last night but the last few games I've been to he's looked a lot better. Start of the season he was taking too many touches and it almost felt like he was turning back on himself to try and skin one player too many but I've noticed he seems more eager to take players on by driving at them now. I think he's won a couple of penalties doing this too?

3 hours ago, Angus of the Mo said:

With Blair getting a goal, could this be his return to where he left off at before he went to Partick? He’s had a goal drought since his return.

Certainly has been more like the player that left us, the past month or so. Hopefully he can carry this level of performance on for the remainder of his loan spell.

6 hours ago, Angus of the Mo said:

Good shout! if Blair can find his "inner Blair lyons" again we'd be golden!

Happy Christmas everybody.

Just reminiscing about my misspent youth as a sheep.

I switched back to the Mo after a cup game between the two sides at a snowy Pittodrie tested my true allegiance.

I watched a good many 2-0 wins there back in the heyday of McLeish and Miller. The Dons played pretty badly at times and yet still managed to carve out a win.

That resonated with how I felt about our recent game against the Blue Toon.

Looking at the league table, I see that we have the lowest number of goals against.

I remember reading somewhere that a team that defends well is more likely to  achieve success than a more free-scoring team that doesn't.  That was certainly true for the Dons back in the early eighties. 

I like to think that while we could always do with finding another out and out striker, if we remain really strong in defence, that could prove crucial in this league campaign.

Sure Cove's defence is also pretty stingy but I reckon ours is better. Also strikers seem to lose their mojo more readily than defenders.

This is just one reason why a glance at the league table gives me a bit of hope that 2022, could be a good one for the Mo.

A lo-o-o-ong way to go but pleased with the season so far, that's for sure.

Edited by Brummo
Ho-ho-ho!

5 hours ago, Angus of the Mo said:

WTF!

Fair play to the Smokies. Dowds getting the goals for them also, the Fife will be missing him 

image.png

The smokies can do whatever they fucking want. 

We've got SP and we are on the way up and that is all that matters.

On 26/12/2021 at 17:12, Angus of the Mo said:

WTF!

Fair play to the Smokies. Dowds getting the goals for them also, the Fife will be missing him 

image.png

So will Falkirk who he is on loan from at the moment. Personally I thought he was a bit over-rated and goals to games ratio was poor.

On 30/12/2021 at 18:21, WhoAmI said:

So will Falkirk who he is on loan from at the moment. Personally I thought he was a bit over-rated and goals to games ratio was poor.

I thought he was good at the Fife and seemed to be getting the goals in? 
Aye, I forgot he was signed by Falkirk. He’s probably better being loaned to Arbroath the way things seem to be with the Bairns the now.