Mighty Montrose FC Thread

Er, no it isn't that simple and if you honestly expect any Mo fan to agree with you, you have another think coming.
Thanks for clarifying the situation, even if it is very obviously from the perspective of your maroon-tinted glasses. As I said I look forward to the Mo competing successfully with Arbroath in the league again one day in the not too distant future, hopefully in the Championship, if you're not out of reach in the top tier by the time we get there.

You’ll never be on our level

4 hours ago, Biglichtie74 said:

You’ll never be on our level

There is never a day goes by when I am not thankful for that.

E.t.a. Not talking strictly about football. Just delighted to have been born between the South and North Esk rivers in the pearl of the Angus Riviera.

Edited by Brummo
Clarification

54 minutes ago, Brummo said:

There is never a day goes by when I am not thankful for that.

Original post that got me started had a hint of jealousy to be honest. What is their secret like it’s not completely obvious to anyone who knows anything about Arbroath. Acting like DC had some dodgy dealings going on 😂

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Original post that got me started had a hint of jealousy to be honest. What is their secret like it’s not completely obvious to anyone who knows anything about Arbroath. Acting like DC had some dodgy dealings going on 😂

As far as I am aware there is nothing "dodgy" about a manager investing financially in the club he manages.

Would I trade Arbroath's league position with Montrose's? Unhesitatingly, yes but that is the end of story.

I only mentioned Arbroath because Angus of the Mo brought it up in a post and I only did so in order to stress my preference for Stewart Petrie as a manager. I honestly never expected any Smokie interest in this thread, so apologies for any offence caused through any perceived disrespect shown for DC's leadership.

While you are here though, did think he was bang out of order for his mockery of his former player, Gary Fraser in the "Sacked in the morning" podcast. That was unprofessional I.m.o. even if it was just banter.

12 minutes ago, Brummo said:

As far as I am aware there is nothing "dodgy" about a manager investing financially in the club he manages.

Would I trade Arbroath's league position with Montrose's? Unhesitatingly, yes but that is the end of story.

I only mentioned Arbroath because Angus of the Mo brought it up in a post and I only did so in order to stress my preference for Stewart Petrie as a manager. I honestly never expected any Smokie interest in this thread, so apologies for any offence caused through any perceived disrespect shown for DC's leadership.

While you are here though, did think he was bang out of order for his mockery of his former player, Gary Fraser in the "Sacked in the morning" podcast. That was unprofessional I.m.o. even if it was just banter.

One of his most famous stories is about Gary Fraser. It’s no big deal Gary will love it and it’s DC character all over

Have to say I'm not jealous or envious of AFC one bit at the moment doing absolute brilliant in the championship at the moment,be a different story if we were doing crap like we were before SP came in but because we are doing good too doesn't bother me what their up too good Manager's at both clubs and long may it continue the sucsess for both sides.

On 14/12/2021 at 13:07, 1320Lichtie said:

It really is though. Just looking at it. Your average crowd this season is 591. 591 on average paying money into your club every week. We are nearly at 1000 season ticket holders. So 1000 season ticket holders with an average crowd of 1495, that’s a whole lot of extra money going into our football club every single week. Our hospitality is usually sold out and is about half the size of your average crowd. That’s a lot of money.

Petrie is clearly a great manager and good guy but DC still the top man in PT football management and he’s at a place that is allowing him to fulfil his potential. 

eta- over 1000 season ticket holders just there today 

As a Mo fan, I will state that I am really pleased for Arbroath (even though we had to dodge the punches coming out of Gayfiled after we gubbed you 0-1 🤣  fekkin Smokies )

Seriously, I want to see Arbroath win, and they are in a league where they should be. Arbroath, like the Mo punched beneath their weight for too long, while Brechin punched above theirs for too long (also thanks to DC).

As regards crowd sizes, our average was way higher when we had Arbroath in League 1 and Forfar and Brechin) but Arbroath were the ones that brought the crowd.

Arbroath is double the size of Montrose in Population. Montrose is double the size of Brechin, and I think Forfar is slightly bigger than Montrose, so that does effect the attendances each club can bring.

Your point about stabilizing the club in lower Championship / top of league 1 is absolutely correct, and this is what the Mo has been doing, cementing a future in League 1.

Looks like both clubs are keeping the heed!

2 hours ago, Angus of the Mo said:

As a Mo fan, I will state that I am really pleased for Arbroath (even though we had to dodge the punches coming out of Gayfiled after we gubbed you 0-1 🤣  fekkin Smokies )

Seriously, I want to see Arbroath win, and they are in a league where they should be. Arbroath, like the Mo punched beneath their weight for too long, while Brechin punched above theirs for too long (also thanks to DC).

As regards crowd sizes, our average was way higher when we had Arbroath in League 1 and Forfar and Brechin) but Arbroath were the ones that brought the crowd.

Arbroath is double the size of Montrose in Population. Montrose is double the size of Brechin, and I think Forfar is slightly bigger than Montrose, so that does effect the attendances each club can bring.

Your point about stabilizing the club in lower Championship / top of league 1 is absolutely correct, and this is what the Mo has been doing, cementing a future in League 1.

Looks like both clubs are keeping the heed!

This Arbroath love in has to stop now. I couldn't give a monkey's about the demographics. I want my team to be doing better than their local rivals. Supporting a football team isn't about keeping the heid: it's about passion and unreasonable expectations and getting one over the opposition. This may be the season of peace and good will to all but believe me, from a football perspective at least, nothing would give me more pleasure than seeing the Mo give the Smokies a right good doing in a New Year derby league game. I live in hope that I won't have to wait too long to see it.

33 minutes ago, Brummo said:

This Arbroath love in has to stop now. I couldn't give a monkey's about the demographics. I want my team to be doing better than their local rivals. Supporting a football team isn't about keeping the heid: it's about passion and unreasonable expectations and getting one over the opposition. This may be the season of peace and good will to all but believe me, from a football perspective at least, nothing would give me more pleasure than seeing the Mo give the Smokies a right good doing in a New Year derby league game. I live in hope that I won't have to wait too long to see it.

Well you’ve been waiting for 6 years since you beat us by more than 1 goal and only beat us once 1-0 since. Be waiting until 2023 for another shot or 2024 for a new year derby game at the earliest I’m guessing. 

52 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Well you’ve been waiting for 6 years since you beat us by more than 1 goal and only beat us once 1-0 since. Be waiting until 2023 for another shot or 2024 for a new year derby game at the earliest I’m guessing. 

The wait will be worth it whatever! I hope Smokies still relish a derby with us too, even though we are lowlier opposition than you've grown accustomed to ;)

4 hours ago, The Gable Endie said:

Have we been linked with any players yet?

Outside looking in you're just needing a striker capable of 15-20 goals a season. Not easy to find someone like that, however, add that missing piece to the puzzle and you'd be golden. Think Rusty would have notched a few?

Suspect SP will already have his targets lined up and will strengthen with loans in the window. 

Webby fairly banging them in, 13 in 18 games? Granted a fair few pens but still some return.

I'll be at LP on Wednesday. Looking forward to watching Montrose in a neutral capacity.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

34 minutes ago, broomiesniper said:

not what Montrose need, and hopefully nobody was taking snapchats of him................................

Gardyne is getting on a bit but would definitely take him at the club if he was available cant see it happening though,am pretty sure he is  good pals with Paul Watson and a few other of the Dundee based lads so probably something to do with that. Wouldn't look too much  into it a remember seeing a few pics a couple years ago off a night out Montrose had and Andy Munro and Michael Travis where their too probably same circumstances friends with a couple of the squad then.

Hopefully we can keep Cammy F Ballantyne for the year that's the first thing i'd be doing what a difference he has made in the middle of the park since coming back.After that it would be to bring in a couple strikers,not sure if James Keatings deal will be extended or not cant see Raith having him back in a hurry the way they are playing at the moment.I would personally have him for the season if the option was available a think there's more to come from him if he gets a good run of games together.Am sure SP will have a few boys he would like to bring in, Dale Hilson was mentioned before and could be a possibility as I'm sure we tried to get him last transfer window.

14 minutes ago, Lichtie78 said:

Hilson to Montrose would be a good move for all parties I think. Never going to get a run in his best position at Gayfield & is often shoehorned out wide where he isn’t great.

I'd like to see him at LP always impressed me for Forfar to be fair.Not had the best of spells at Arbroath and a change probably do him good.Dick Campbell obviously rates him as he has signed him a couple times for Forfar and then Arbroath of course.

7 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Outside looking in you're just needing a striker capable of 15-20 goals a season. Not easy to find someone like that, however, add that missing piece to the puzzle and you'd be golden. Think Rusty would have notched a few?

We've all known this since August TBH.

I think Rusty would have carried over his form from last season easily, but he made his bed up the A90 and seems happy to lie in it. A couple of years ago I said I wouldn't have bothered with McAllister as I thought he might be past the peak of his powers, but given the pace he'd have to work with around him in our team I'd have had him this season over Keatings easily. If it weren't for the off-the-pitch stuff then I'd have been looking at Hester, personally. Guess we'll see what lands in the window.