Mighty Montrose FC Thread

I'd wager it's a fair point to mention Forthbank for Stirling Albion is in a piss-poor position. If you had the stadium closer to the town and the train station it would be a great wee setup and more folk would attend. 

They do have a massive catchment area to exploit but I'm not convinced they've got the most competent people in charge. Which is the problem with being a fan owned club I guess.

2 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

I'd wager it's a fair point to mention Forthbank for Stirling Albion is in a piss-poor position. If you had the stadium closer to the town and the train station it would be a great wee setup and more folk would attend. 

They do have a massive catchment area to exploit but I'm not convinced they've got the most competent people in charge. Which is the problem with being a fan owned club I guess.

That all adds up.

Also, as Brummo says, clubs have to interact with the community.

4 hours ago, Brummo said:

The point I am making is that there needs to be a positive culture around the club which extends to wider community: e.g. football coaching by the community trust in primary schools - even as far afield as in the Mearns.

Re. Stirling Albion

Stirling County were and maybe still are a successful rugby club.

There are parts of England, Wales and Scotland where egg chasing is more prominent than football.

Maybe that is true for Stirling plus its proximity to bigger football clubs.

You mentioned the predominance of shinty in Lochaber and other parts of the Highlands. 

I think that is also a factor in the relative weakness of football in these areas, allied to their low population densities.

Montrose does not have these kinds of challenges.

In the past in the lean years, Montrose struggled to attract players but we are in a much better place now, even if we aren't in or near a big town or city.

As for Cove, I honestly don't see them being anything other than most Aberdonians' second team. They will get investment from businesses, who may be disaffected or frustrated by the Dons, as we did from Bryan Keith because his business rival Yule was involved at Aberdeen FC.

Agreed.

Rugby isn’t so big north of Perth / Fife.

The biggest challenge to football is the iPad / iPhone / X-box

We we’re out picking tatties in our youth, now it’s the apple holidays!

23 hours ago, Angus of the Mo said:

Nah, North side of the toon, like the Garvock, and 100 meters high, like the statue they Brazil lads have in Rio de ganeero 

I was thinking more like the statue of the Titan from Jason and the Argonauts with a foot either side of the road at the bridge over the North Esk. 

jason-and-the-argonauts.jpg.d6345d25610b385bd7168dd3e5a3d11d.jpg