Mighty Montrose FC Thread

11 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Perhaps a weird question, but how does Aidan Quinn look in terms of being a CB moving up a level?

Him and Kerr Waddell came out pretty well when I had a look for a certain type of CB under a certain age. Feel like its maybe skewed by how Montrose play though.

What impressed me about AQ was the way he seemed to slot in fairly seamlessly when Kerr Waddell was injured towards the end of the season. He and Dillon clearly had a good understanding.

Waddell has been criticised for his tendency to punt the ball out too readily rather than keep possession but I for one can live with that degree of caution.

I do not know how either of them would do at a higher level.

Partick Thistle at their very best blew Montrose's defence apart. Against Morton, the defence coped reasonably well for the most part. I think having Sean Dillon to marshall things at the back is a major contributor to Montrose's success. It is difficult to assess whether Quinn and Waddell would cope as well, not having the likes of him around.

1 hour ago, Brummo said:

What impressed me about AQ was the way he seemed to slot in fairly seamlessly when Kerr Waddell was injured towards the end of the season. He and Dillon clearly had a good understanding.

I always got the impression AQ was always a bit frantic with the ball, apart from that he was decent.

Interesting developments 9 miles up the road. Seems like rather than go down the "sensible" route of shifting player recruitment north and getting in someone with a knowledge of the Highland League and more north based players, Brechin are going for bust and throwing everything at getting promotion back to the SPFL Two. I saw in the Courier that their Chairman mentioned trying to get a Community Trust going, like Montrose. I suppose if we were in their shoes and had some benefactor in the wings willing to splash the cash to get out of the HL, we wouldn't say no but for me there is a major disconnect between being a community club and being one that's bank-rolled by somebody with little obvious connection to the club. I don't know where the money is going to come  from, other than it being linked to Mackie's "connections" 

As someone who is generally kindly disposed towards our other Angus clubs, I hope I'm wrong, but can't help thinking that the approach being taken has all the ingredients of being a slo-mo car crash in the making. 

Edited by Brummo
Full stop. New paragraph.

Any news on Russel McLean signing a new deal yet?Been a few weeks now and still seems to be nothing sorted out.Would hope their is a deadline for him signing a new deal or we move on and find someone else.

6 hours ago, mo83 said:

Any news on Russel McLean signing a new deal yet?Been a few weeks now and still seems to be nothing sorted out.Would hope their is a deadline for him signing a new deal or we move on and find someone else.

No news as of yet. But I think our chances of having him in royal blue next year are practically null. Heard Morton are close to a deal.

4 hours ago, The Gable Endie said:

No news as of yet. But I think our chances of having him in royal blue next year are practically null. Heard Morton are close to a deal.

Yeah.Best of luck to him if he moves on,not been his biggest fan to be honest.Montrose have been pretty good with him when he was rank rotten too start off with sending him out on loan and sticking by him.He has had a decent season this year but don't think he will do much in the championship if he was to go to Morton.

39 minutes ago, MO7S said:

I'm  happy to see we are going to play pre-season friendlies this year and not just use the League Cup as warm up games.  Any thoughts folks?

Good tough couple game's to set us up for the League Cup.Squad is pretty much as it is can see 1-2 maybe more coming in,things are looking good I'd say.

On 08/06/2021 at 16:49, The Gable Endie said:

Our local rag reported a week or so ago that McLean had rejected a ft offer from us to stay part time.

Are you saying that deal is still on?

8 hours ago, madton said:

Our local rag reported a week or so ago that McLean had rejected a ft offer from us to stay part time.

Are you saying that deal is still on?

Well my source must be wrong then! I think it may still be on as he still hasn’t signed a deal with us yet. Either that or he goes to Airdrie 

32 minutes ago, The Gable Endie said:

Well my source must be wrong then! I think it may still be on as he still hasn’t signed a deal with us yet. Either that or he goes to Airdrie 

Would love to know what the hold up is ? If he is trying to get a full time deal and play at a higher level then good luck to him. But if its down to money I'd be telling him to GTF.

7 hours ago, mo83 said:

Would love to know what the hold up is ? If he is trying to get a full time deal and play at a higher level then good luck to him. But if its down to money I'd be telling him to GTF.

Time to come back home Rusty.🙂

I went for the other strip as I like the cleaner look, but then I'm nearer 50 than 40. And that's being kind. Might be a strip that gets better and becomes iconic.
I still love the white strip with tiger strips that was re-released last year. Wish I could find the original I had.

Great to see the squad is pretty much settled early, but then other teams like Dumbarton are getting their shit together early as well and a fulltime QP in the division isn't making things any less competitive. Tough year next year.

On 10/06/2021 at 07:31, The Gable Endie said:

Is this ITK or just an educated guess? I'm not a huge fan of his but he offers something different to our other strikers and would at least be a handy option were we to go long.