Mighty Montrose FC Thread

10 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Why would he undo his progress at Montrose though? Taken you as far as you’ll go. Why would he go FT thought he has a good job? 

Arbroath fans seem to think when Dick has left the building its a stick on that Sp will be straight in at Gayfield....Delusional.

Edited by mo83

Another really good season, even though it does feel bit strange and detached at times. Hopefully never again on that front, and back at the carpet next term round.

I wouldn't be entirely shocked if SP ended up down the A92 at some point, though I'd obviously rather he didn't. The gig here is probably his for as long as he wants it, but there's sometimes a point where a manager might just fancy another challenge (if he ever went FT it'd be Dunfermline, surely), or worse, it starts to feel stale even if results don't completely tank (see D. McInnes). I think he's here a while yet, thankfully, because he does seem to think there's unfinished business, and the club itself has a solidity not seen for a long time, possibly ever.

Shame Elgin aren't coming up - when the away days resume, there aren't as many good ones as I'd hoped coming. 

5 minutes ago, Scorge said:

Another really good season, even though it does feel bit strange and detached at times. Hopefully never again on that front, and back at the carpet next term round.

I wouldn't be entirely shocked if SP ended up down the A92 at some point, though I'd obviously rather he didn't. The gig here is probably his for as long as he wants it, but there's sometimes a point where a manager might just fancy another challenge (if he ever went FT it'd be Dunfermline, surely), or worse, it starts to feel stale even if results don't completely tank (see D. McInnes). I think he's here a while yet, thankfully, because he does seem to think there's unfinished business, and the club itself has a solidity not seen for a long time, possibly ever.

Shame Elgin aren't coming up - when the away days resume, there aren't as many good ones as I'd hoped coming. 

I wouldn't be shocked if SP went to Arbroath later is his management career either,a just don't think it will be the way that lot have it in their heads.

Aye I'd love to see him in the dugout at East End.

Its nice having players signed up already for next season and not doing the trawl 2 weeks before season start we were used to for a long time.
Agreed, SP seems to know who he wants and gets them signed up nice and early.
Great support from the board once again too.

100% love that aswell most years we are only looking for a handful of signings.The big one we are waiting for is Cammy Ballantyne really hope he signs on again cracking player for us.If he doesn't I hope it's to a full time team not in our league as he is good enough for a chance up a level.

On 13/05/2021 at 10:43, Scorge said:

Sorry about that. Even though they should have won Elgin just couldn't take the chances we handed to them on Tuesday so we got fed up and equalised.

I like Montrose as an away day so if we beat Dumbarton that's something to look forward to 

Oh well didn't see that coming Lennox and Fleming re-signing for the next campaign.A honestly thought after the Airdrie game we wouldn't see Lennox in a Montrose shirt again.

Would have kept 1 of them and tried to strengthen in that position but will just have to make do not the end of the world.

Now let's try and Get Cammy Ballantyne over the line, cracking player if we have to push the boat out a bit to keep him we 100% have too rather than lose him.

16 minutes ago, mo83 said:

Oh well didn't see that coming Lennox and Fleming re-signing for the next campaign.A honestly thought after the Airdrie game we wouldn't see Lennox in a Montrose shirt again.

Would have kept 1 of them and tried to strengthen in that position but will just have to make do not the end of the world.

Now let's try and Get Cammy Ballantyne over the line, cracking player if we have to push the boat out a bit to keep him we 100% have too rather than lose him.

Agreed here, I thought that the GK spot was one area that needed to be addressed.

If/when Cammy and Rusty sign, that will be 16 players contracted for next season already.

23 minutes ago, VillaKnollBoy said:

Agreed here, I thought that the GK spot was one area that needed to be addressed.

If/when Cammy and Rusty sign, that will be 16 players contracted for next season already.

That’s probably us for the season then with a couple of loanees.

Retaining both keepers seems a strange decision to me as neither has inspired much confidence over the season. Hopefully, SP has a cunning plan. I assume Cammy and Rusty must have other offers under consideration which raises the concern that one or both may well end up leaving. Not sure how I feel about who we’ve got signed up other than we desperately need a bit of extra pace and nous up top.

Cammy is a must to sign up if not we are looking for a RB to replace him which will be very hard.Have to say I'm not overly fussed if rusty signs up again.Has come onto a game last couple weeks before the season ended but still doesn't do enough for me.

Would have been more than happy for Fleming to sign up again as a backup but wouldn't have liked either of them as first choice. I have probably been more critical than most about Rusty Baws but I'd love him to stay although not as out first choice striker. Would be more than happy for Aaron Lennox to be sent to Brechin or something, he's probably a nice guy but not a very good goalkeeper.

11 hours ago, Aidan said:

Would have been more than happy for Fleming to sign up again as a backup but wouldn't have liked either of them as first choice. I have probably been more critical than most about Rusty Baws but I'd love him to stay although not as out first choice striker. Would be more than happy for Aaron Lennox to be sent to Brechin or something, he's probably a nice guy but not a very good goalkeeper.

I feel people have been harsh on Lennox. It was an absolute clanger in injury time against Airdrie but I don't think he was solely responsible for the Mo's second half performance in that game. It was clear that Montrose eased off or Airdrie stepped up and in all probability a bit of both, which allowed the Mo's 2-0 lead to be squandered. Airdrie's subsequent performances showed they have come into a bit of form and they may yet go up. Lennox should have done better on the day but from what I have seen, limited to pixelot's slightly erratic camera work admittedly, he has not been an awful keeper. If anything Fleming, while making some outstanding saves, strikes me as being the more unpredictable of the two. 

Overall then, while I would like a more rock-solid reliable keeper, perhaps if Fleming can cut down the frequency of his clown school defending moves and Lennox can stay alert for a whole game, Petrie may be doing the right thing by retaining them.

In other news...

From a purely selfish standpoint, I would like as little change as possible in League One in the season ahead. Cappielow may be a good day out but the pitch is dreadful and doesn't suit the Mo's style of play.

At the other end, if Edinburgh City came up, they could potentially also attract the kind of investment that comes from being based in a large centre of population. One Cove Rangers is more than enough already.

"Big-spending" Queen's Park look as if they're going to be a like for like replacement for Thistle, which means they will be tough opposition. 

The League is not going to get easier, so Montrose have to keep on getting better.

Edited by Brummo
Removing content of a controversial nature.

1 hour ago, Brummo said:

"Big-spending" Queen's Park look as if they're going to be a like for like replacement for Thistle, which means they will be tough opposition. 

I wonder if they will raid some teams in league 1 now as they have heaps of money and the appeal of full-time football. Hopefully they haven’t offered Cammy Ballantyne or Rusty a contract so we are not competing with them for the services for next season.