Mighty Montrose FC Thread

I thought Russel McLean was absolutely hopeless but he seems to have stepped up massively this season when we've needed him. Not sure if I'll be able to convince my Mrs to call our first son Russell Stewart Ross Steevesy Templeman Aidan but I'm willing to try

Only checked the result after our game and it set Montrose up for a good away performance. I don't want to jinx you but I hope you win-it's time  again for two new teams to go up- I include Airdrie in this as I think we have not managed to go up via an actual play off win.

Just looked back at the 3-1 Brora playoff at home and 5 of that starting line-up are still at Montrose with one of them scoring today against Morton.
Not that it needs highlighting but what a job has been done by all at the club.
What a team.

Superb result, stick it to Morton, they are there for the beating. Will be great to see any of the 3 L1 clubs go up if for no other reason to piss of the petulant child that is @virginton . Though I shouldn't give him oxygen I look forward to his hysteria and bleatings.  

16 hours ago, Gogs Grog said:

Just looked back at the 3-1 Brora playoff at home and 5 of that starting line-up are still at Montrose with one of them scoring today against Morton.
What a team.

Yeah, six years ago I would never have believed that we'd be competing with the likes of Partick, Falkirk and Morton and yet here we are... with half of the same team that faced Brora. 

Stewart Petrie should be president of the People's Republic of Montrose.

17 hours ago, Gogs Grog said:

What a team.

I think Hegarty is due some credit for digging us out of that hole. He was old school man management, having had Jim McLean as a gaffer. That approach wasn't working with a younger generation of players but he did sign some decent players for us. It is worth checking out the pages around page 195 of the news section of the official Montrose FC website to see how much things have changed since then.*

*The website's club history section has not been updated since Forbes Inglis' article, which was submitted in 2004. 

Edited by Brummo
Additional details

I think Hegarty is due some credit for digging us out of that hole. He was old school man management, having had Jim McLean as a gaffer. That approach wasn't working with a younger generation of players but he did sign some decent players for us. It is worth checking out the pages around page 195 of the news section of the official Montrose FC website to see how much things have changed since then.*
*The website's club history section has not been updated since Forbes Inglis' article, which was submitted in 2004. 
No doubt Heggie and Holt get respect for keeping us up by winning that playoff. But it was clear the next season we were heading the wrong way again. Things were in good shape off the park but not working on it. I just found it surprising that so many from that playoff are currently pushing to get us up to the Championship. Whatever SP and team have done, be it roles, shape, confidence, fitness or one of the most important just enjoyment for the players at the Mo it works.
Incidentally BBC radio called the game the Marvin Andrews game. I always think of it as the Garry Wood game. I have a blank of about a minute after he scored and not sure how I celebrated.

13 hours ago, Gogs Grog said:

Incidentally BBC radio called the game the Marvin Andrews game. I always think of it as the Garry Wood game. I have a blank of about a minute after he scored and not sure how I celebrated.

Agree with you there - still remember the footage on YouTube of the game (which seems to have disappeared now) and as Woody's drive leaves his boot you hear someone in the stand near the camera shouting "that's in". All I can remember was general chaos and jumping around after 2 goals in 2 minutes.