Mighty Montrose FC Thread

19 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Well done Montrose and I look forward to seeing these games over the next week or so. East Fife just seemed to run out of gas after we scored. 

And to you lot...All the best

There are times, like last Thursday when living in a different time zone (currently +6 hrs) and being able to watch  Montrose's games live is torture, especially the next morning when you have to work. At least last night, staring bleary-eyed at the telly in the dark, excruciating though it was at times, the result made it feel more worth it.

What can I say? Petrie and the Montrose squad have shown real guts in getting this far. After the recent halt to League 1 & 2 proceedings, other than the East Fife game (which ironically I didn't get up to watch) and to a lesser extent the Cup games, they never really seemed to  fully hit their stride. Squandered chances and points cheaply surrendered, culminating in the humiliating hiding at Firhill and I really felt the battle to make the cut was a lost cause. The punishing run-in of games against full-time opposition was bound to have taken its toll.

Fearing the worst at Killie, I was proved wrong. Despite the howlers, they did not implode. As they had done in the absolute shellacking from Thistle, they kept trying to play and at the very least, they richly deserved their goal.

Last night / this morning against Cove, there was nothing to lose. I am sure very few of us thought the planets would align as they did. There was always this nagging thought that like has happened time after time with the Scottish national team, even a win wouldn't be enough because other results would go against us. Then, when the commentator announced Airdrie had gone two up, the seemingly dying embers of the dream had some life breathed into them. Cove fans have pointed to the stats as suggesting they were well on top and perhaps deserved more from the game. It certainly was a nail-biting, backs-to-the-wall ordeal in the final ten minutes. If it hadn't been for the fact I would have woken everybody else up at 3.30am, I would have been shouting at the telly for the ref. to blow the final whistle. It was a blessed relief when he did. Although you could say Montrose rode their luck at times, and Cove could have been sharper, the fact is that the Mo defended really well for the most part. Fleming did what he needed to, so credit to him for his role in last night's success. We possibly allowed Cove into the game more in the second half with more than a few slack / overhit passes but I would not fault them for that, as for most of the game they looked like they could cause Cove problems, disrupting their patterns of play by harrying them whenever they had possession, chasing them down at every opportunity, real or imagined. Whilst Cove mounted wave after wave of attack and losing a goal was a possibility right to the end, the Mo also created chances of their own. Okay, they never took them but thankfully they never needed to.

Kudos to Petrie and the team on the park and backroom for achieving this immediate goal. 

A whole week ahead to prepare for the next adventure! Happy days (and nights) to be a Mo fan.

I leave my closing words for now to Dr Seuss, as found on my pc desktop.

IMG_20210421_121556521.jpg

Edited by Brummo
Just feels right.

I was so nervous last night, the 2nd half felt like we were going down the same road as the game against Airdrie. But Cove had clear cut chances and didn’t take them. I was a bit disappointed with the cove red, but I can see why he did it. I’m still a bit unsure about the split, so does it mean we can’t come 6th now even if East Fife get more points than us?

1 hour ago, The Gable Endie said:

I was so nervous last night, the 2nd half felt like we were going down the same road as the game against Airdrie. But Cove had clear cut chances and didn’t take them. I was a bit disappointed with the cove red, but I can see why he did it. I’m still a bit unsure about the split, so does it mean we can’t come 6th now even if East Fife get more points than us?

Agree with your first comment and yes to the last one.

Although SP rightly gets a lot of the plaudits I think we Mo fans should also be grateful for the part his back-up staff do. Ross Campbell has his critics sometimes but in my opinion he is doing a good job along with Iain Campbell and the senior plays like Sean Dillon and Paul Watson. Their off the pitch influence as I see it is vital particularly with the younger lads in the dressing room. So well done SP but a lot of credit to them all as working as they do together makes sure we are not just a one man show.

1 hour ago, MOFOREVER said:

Although SP rightly gets a lot of the plaudits I think we Mo fans should also be grateful for the part his back-up staff do. Ross Campbell has his critics sometimes but in my opinion he is doing a good job along with Iain Campbell and the senior plays like Sean Dillon and Paul Watson. Their off the pitch influence as I see it is vital particularly with the younger lads in the dressing room. So well done SP but a lot of credit to them all as working as they do together makes sure we are not just a one man show.

100% Ross Campbell is right up their with SP ,gets a lot of stick from some fans sometimes when he comes on which is pretty embarrassing .Part of the most successful Montrose team we have had last 20 plus years!Ross is pretty vocal with our fans sometimes which I don't think sits well.

Ross is an absolute legend, it was great to see him have a one minute cameo against Cove and give it all. Over the years he has been a great servant to the club and I hope he doesn’t hang up the boots any time soon as he can still have a big impact in a short period of time, a particularly good example was against  Brechin a couple of years back. I’ve also noticed our set-pieces have been a lot better recently and I’m presuming that is down to him.

12 hours ago, A Username With Mo In It said:

I love the way he tells fans to shut the feck up when they are giving him stick! 😄

Aye me too,some fans think they can shout whatever they want and get no reaction.

I love the way he tells fans to shut the feck up when they are giving him stick! [emoji1]
I'm fairly certain we played Deveronvale or something a couple of years ago in one of the cups and a Montrose fan was standing at the Wellington Park side giving the players abuse, Ross Campbell finally had enough and said to the boy "bring your boots to training on Tuesday and see how good you are you p***k" which made me chuckle.

Pretty topical to the above in that I just listened to a podcast with Ross Campbell having a chat about his time at the Mo. Called The Pyramid with Kenny Crawford.
Well worth a listen and Ross comes across well.
I just came on to link that very podcast.
https://open.spotify.com/episode/2BbZoIHajUzCXW21cSknpp?si=M1ZPVugoRCmefaWc5UwQ0Q&utm_source=copy-link

Yes, agreed very impressed. Hope we won't overtake Arbroath for a wee while if it means keeping "the project" together. That said, a few seasons of "neck and neck" tussle with the rivals beforehand would be good.