Mighty Montrose FC Thread

12 hours ago, endieinreekie said:

Good draw against Fraserburgh if we get through against Nairn 

Away again! :( (if we get past Nairn) Gives us an insight into what life would be like in a parallel universe in which Garry Wood missed and we'd ended up in the HL.

17 hours ago, Brummo said:

Away again! :( (if we get past Nairn) Gives us an insight into what life would be like in a parallel universe in which Garry Wood missed and we'd ended up in the HL.

That was quite an atmosphere. 
My son, who was 9 at the time decided to run on the pitch as the whistle went, so I was the second to run on, after him.

We gave Marvin Andrews a high five 😁

Respect to our pals from Brechin that came through to support us.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey lads, recently spoke to your Captain Paul Watson, topics included - Possible promotion to the Championship, how the club has changed over the past decade, the gaffer, and his thoughts on Cammy, Harry and Chris and their futures. NE98: Paul Watson interview
Decent article [emoji1303]

Yes, good read, especially in the current hiatus. The club's turnaround is pretty amazing after the "wilderness" years.

Although the appointment of Stewart Petrie has been pivotal, he would be the first to concede it has been down to a number of other people too. 

I think the Montrose Community Trust has done an amazing job of raising the positive profile of the club in the town and beyond.

Having "ownership" of the club in the local community from tiniest tots in Little Dribblers to work amongst the oldest, struggling to keep their "football memories", this is investment that surely amounts to far more than if we were just a "rich man's plaything" club.

I suppose the questions begging to be asked in my opinion are: how can what has been achieved so far be sustained and built on, beyond just crossing our fingers that Stewart Petrie stays a bit longer?

Also, there is the related question of what is the best way to develop the club in order for it to not to just scrape along the bottom of the Championship, were we to be promoted?

Obviously, the Brechin situation is a worst case scenario to be avoided at all costs and I would hope that we have more in the tank even now than that. However, I wonder if there is a vision of how the club could grow to the extent of being a truly competitive Championship side, that isn't just making up the numbers? 

I mentioned "rich man's plaything" clubs and it would be heart-breaking to see the good work achieved unravelled by some rich clown entering the scene at Links Park. However, at the back of my mind, I think if Ross County can grow like they have, why can't the Mo?

We may not have a MacGregor pumping money into the club but is it not possible to grow the club "organically", as has been happening over the last ten years and secure the right kind of investment to move to full-time football, if that's necessary to thrive at a higher level and doing so without losing the club's community strengths?

Okay, most of the above is madness and when play resumes, we could hit a bad run and be at the wrong end of the table but surely it is good to dream and along with that think ahead to how at least some of these dreams might become a reality. Consolidation of the club as a solid League One outfit is our "bread and butter" but why not aspire to a banquet?

On 30/01/2021 at 00:47, Brummo said:

Yes, good read, especially in the current hiatus. The club's turnaround is pretty amazing after the "wilderness" years.

Although the appointment of Stewart Petrie has been pivotal, he would be the first to concede it has been down to a number of other people too. 

I think the Montrose Community Trust has done an amazing job of raising the positive profile of the club in the town and beyond.

Having "ownership" of the club in the local community from tiniest tots in Little Dribblers to work amongst the oldest, struggling to keep their "football memories", this is investment that surely amounts to far more than if we were just a "rich man's plaything" club.

I suppose the questions begging to be asked in my opinion are: how can what has been achieved so far be sustained and built on, beyond just crossing our fingers that Stewart Petrie stays a bit longer?

Also, there is the related question of what is the best way to develop the club in order for it to not to just scrape along the bottom of the Championship, were we to be promoted?

Obviously, the Brechin situation is a worst case scenario to be avoided at all costs and I would hope that we have more in the tank even now than that. However, I wonder if there is a vision of how the club could grow to the extent of being a truly competitive Championship side, that isn't just making up the numbers? 

I mentioned "rich man's plaything" clubs and it would be heart-breaking to see the good work achieved unravelled by some rich clown entering the scene at Links Park. However, at the back of my mind, I think if Ross County can grow like they have, why can't the Mo?

We may not have a MacGregor pumping money into the club but is it not possible to grow the club "organically", as has been happening over the last ten years and secure the right kind of investment to move to full-time football, if that's necessary to thrive at a higher level and doing so without losing the club's community strengths?

Okay, most of the above is madness and when play resumes, we could hit a bad run and be at the wrong end of the table but surely it is good to dream and along with that think ahead to how at least some of these dreams might become a reality. Consolidation of the club as a solid League One outfit is our "bread and butter" but why not aspire to a banquet?

What a great post.

A couple year ago I was harsh on Montrose and thought they were only here for a season tbf.  But from another teams supporter POV, Montrose have quickly consolidated, improved and now have aspirations of moving up again which is exactly the type of progressive thinking lots of clubs at this level seriously lack. To many have found a level and become comfortable at it, my club more than most (see longest serving team in league 1 for info!).

I've become an interested observer of Montrose FC and I'm excited to see just how far the ambition can go.

On 30/01/2021 at 00:47, Brummo said:

Ross County has a fairly large catchment area and a chairman with big pockets and a coherent long term model to make it viable. Not wanting to sound too pessimistic, but we are one of four clubs in a fairly small region with more modest means, and you shouldn't really build foundations for a house you'll never need, so to speak. There's a realistic ceiling for a club like us before you tip the balance sheet into the red. Our LOADSAMONEY period (2006-09) ultimately backfired, and the last thing I'd want is another Brookes Mileson here today gone tomorrow type firing a lethal amount of money around. If we ever spawned our way into the Championship, I wouldn't expect us to stay there for long (but I doubt we'd totally capitulate like Brechin either).

The off-field stuff and the community work is key, because it can build connections that will hopefully stay even if the first team hits another downswing, and keeping people engaged keeps part time clubs afloat in the end. A club with purpose trumps a club with money IMO. A black-gold funded club like Brora would be on a much stickier wicket if the dough dries up.

Re. a fairly large catchment area: from what I've been able to glean from the internet, the population of Ross and Cromarty area is around 9000 people. Although their nickname is "the Staggies", having a fairly large hinterland largely populated by sheep and deer is not a particularly convincing argument for their support base being larger than the Mo's.

Yes, there are (currently) four clubs in Angus playing in SPFL national leagues. Arbroath would likely see itself as the team to step up to full-time, or even semi-full-time as Airdrie have done. The town has a bigger population than Montrose too, as has Forfar but if Montrose FC can continue to thrive, we also have a "hinterland" in north Angus and the Mearns to draw support from. Throw into the mix, potential growth in the town and surrounding area related to being the port for the new offshore wind farm and other renewable technology and there is scope for being a bit more ambitious than aspiring to just being strugglers in the Championship. Why can't we achieve more than our other Angus neighbour's have done?

I am not suggesting we overspend in pursuit of a crazy dream but I do take issue with the idea of building a foundation for a house we will never need. The club has been growing and can continue to grow. It doesn't need a Russian oligarch or even a reincarnated Brookes Mileson to strive for further improvement. It just needs a vision and people to make it happen, which happily I think is already the case. 

5 hours ago, Utter Roaster said:

Random channel hopping the other night and I caught the tail end of this feature on A View from the Terrace. Now on BBC website: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/56042170

Yes, saw that and thought it was great. When just about everyone being interviewed at the club gives credit for what's happening, have you noticed they usually use the phrase: "everyone from the chairman down to Ron"? He never gets top billing but he's such a great servant of the club. This clip from "View from the terracing" gives Ron some much deserved limelight and highlights how much of what we often take for granted around Links Park is "down to Ron".  Good on you mate!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...