Mighty Montrose FC Thread

7 hours ago, Angus of the Mo said:

Montrose don’t have the same pressures as these teams, because we are playing where we should be, and that lack of expectation probably helps create a happier team spirit, with better football. 

I dispute the phrase, "playing where we should be". Judged by our performances over several decades, that would consign us to bumping along the bottom of League 2. 

I remember hearing a statement to the effect that Montrose FC targeted being a League 1 (or its then equivalent) side, with occasional sojourns in the league above. This is what other part-time teams have achieved, so it surely remains an ambition for the club.

While League 1 survival is the bottom line, I think we have the nucleus of a team which has the mentality it takes to win a league and has already done so in 2018. That was no small achievement, considering how close Peterhead ran them, right down to the wire.

The pressure on us is certainly not as great as on others in this league and that is certainly an advantage.

Arbroath's unexpected success a couple of seasons back certainly serves as an example of what can be done if the team starts to get some form and maintains the momentum.

The right results in the next couple of games and things could get interesting!*

e.t.a. Just watched SP and RC on "Mr and Mr" and accept that it would not take much to blow any hopes out of the water: loan players called back, injuries, or worst case, Covid19 ripping through the team but really encouraged by what has been achieved so far and would love to see even more reward for all the hard work done by so many at the club.

Edited by Brummo
Additional haverin'

I cant see petrie leaving. He has a decent job which works in well with part time management. Can’t see him risking it for a shot at full time management where he could be chucked after a short time. Montrose are arguably the best run part time team in scotland and he has a good relationship with the board. There is no reason why Montrose couldnt go up and survive in the championship

25 minutes ago, Aufc said:

I cant see petrie leaving. He has a decent job which works in well with part time management. Can’t see him risking it for a shot at full time management where he could be chucked after a short time. Montrose are arguably the best run part time team in scotland and he has a good relationship with the board. There is no reason why Montrose couldnt go up and survive in the championship

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952njo6y4umuqjnjxltfq

How's Harry Cochrane looked for you lot this season?
He's done pretty well in my opinion although I still feel there is more to come from him. He has been overshadowed by our other loan Cammy Ballantyne in the midfield who has been outstanding. I thought he would be more of a goal threat than he has been but he has got stuck in and you can see he always looks to play forward.

38 minutes ago, GableEnder21 said:
2 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:
How's Harry Cochrane looked for you lot this season?

He's done pretty well in my opinion although I still feel there is more to come from him. He has been overshadowed by our other loan Cammy Ballantyne in the midfield who has been outstanding. I thought he would be more of a goal threat than he has been but he has got stuck in and you can see he always looks to play forward.

Yeah from the games I saw him in for Hearts he'll sit and do the dirty work so other players around him can get on with playing football which is maybe why Ballantyne's been so succesful in there.

Debate on our thread has been ongoing about how we never seem to get the best out the loan market. Some saying that clubs won't send their youngsters to the third division of scottish football but you lot seem to have flattened that arguement this season with the signings of Cochrane, Mochrie and Ballantyne. 

4 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

The Nairn game next week is giving me the fear. Montrose FC have a pretty abysmal cup record against Highland League opposition.

Hopefully we do enough to get past them.

I know what you mean and I hope the same. Realistically though SP will again play a 'fringe'team. That said, this season's fringe team should still do the job when you look at who was on the bench yesterday, Matty Allan, Aiden Quinn, Liam Callaghan, Paul Watson, Terry Masson, Lewis Hawke, Aaron Lennox and both Campbells. He will want to give them pitch time  along with some of the lads already in the side but maybe the loanees might not play. Also depends why McLean was out on yesterday.

It's no disrespect to Nairn and if we lose to them it will be hard for us fans to take but good luck to them and even if we win it'll be behind closed doors in the next round - just our luck to get Aberdeen away BHD! Our priority is to give the wider squad some valuable pitch time and focus on League 1 but as I say, I think our fringe squad is strong this season even though in the performance yesterday against Forfar we didn't exactly cover ourselves in glory.

I am glad that the Nairn game is happening when it is.  It means an extra week to work on things ahead of the Falkirk game. No disrespect to Nairn but I think it is a better draw, even allowing for the long distance travel, than having to play a Championship side prior to resuming league business. Arbroath away is surely a bigger ask for Falkirk, even if there is literally nothing separating the teams.

Hoping we put in a decent shift at Nairn and don't pick up any injuries. I still groan inwardly when I think of how injuries picked up  in the Lothian Thistle  Hutchison Vale cup tie were a contributing factor in the 2015 relegation playoff season.

Another concern is that it gets played on Saturday, as a jaunt up to the highlands on a wintry Tuesday night would be especially brutal ahead of a crunch Saturday game.

E.t.a. Heard that live streaming of cup tie from Nairn will be an option but nothing about it so far on Nairn County FC website. Was interested to see on there that they have been responding to restrictions brought about by "Covid18"!

Edited by Brummo
Additional haverin'

You probably already know, but our manager has confirmed Cammy F Ballantyne will be staying with you lot until the end of the season.

Seems there was an option to recall him but they've decided a full season at Montrose is better for his development, before pushing for our team next season.

You probably already know, but our manager has confirmed Cammy F Ballantyne will be staying with you lot until the end of the season.
Seems there was an option to recall him but they've decided a full season at Montrose is better for his development, before pushing for our team next season.
Delighted. Thanks for letting us know.

5 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Excellent news cracking wee player so he is.Big future ahead of him if he keeps progressing the way he is.

14 hours ago, PortyMo said:

After last seasons washout at Bonnyrigg, I hope that SP takes the cup seriously. A good run could bring in some much needed revenue.
A good draw might even see us on TV.

Was that only last year?!?! - Seems like a long time ago... or maybe I'm just blanking it out!

Cracking prospect for the Saints. Tremendous talent.

Can never understand how your manager hasn’t been snapped up by someone else. Does a great job. No disrespect
Where do you think he would go? Big risk in him moving to a full time club. He has a good job out of football and probably have one of most secure part time jobs in the country.

Fantastic business again by our management team and board. Contract extentions until 2023 for:
- Andrew Steeves
- Kerr Waddell
- Matty Allan
- Craig Johnston
- Graham Webster
- Lewis Milne

- Aidan Quinn already extended his contract to 2023 earlier in the season.
- Martin Rennie signed until summer 2023
- Paul Watson and Liam Callaghan signed up until summer 2022

Also just to remind all Mo fans Ross Campbell and Stewart Petrie are signed up until summer 2023.

5 hours ago, Wee Jockie said:

Can never understand how your manager hasn’t been snapped up by someone else. Does a great job. No disrespect

The board at the Mo took SP from being assistant manager at Broughty Juniors because they saw what they wanted, this was when we were rock bottom of league 2, at the trap door to the Highland league.

The point here is it’s not just that we have a good manager, but we have a good board. There are clubs out there with good managers but poor directors and they are not doing so well.

I know two of the directors, they started out with very little, but did well for themselves. One of them used to be my manager and you couldn’t meet a nicer more honest person. Even when people fekked up he always gave them a chance and he was greatly respected in his business.

Montrose is probably the happiest club in the whole of Scottish football, because we are doing fine and not under any pressure to perform better or facing relegation. It’s sad to see the likes of Brechin, and it’s baffling what has gone wrong there.

On 08/01/2021 at 02:12, PortyMo said:

After last seasons washout at Bonnyrigg, I hope that SP takes the cup seriously. A good run could bring in some much needed revenue.
A good draw might even see us on TV.

Bonnyrigg Rose did pretty well against Dundee, so maybe last year's defeat was not as big an underperformance as it felt like at the time. 

Disappointed that the Nairn match was postponed. If it goes ahead on Wednesday, that definitely doesn't help with preparations for the showdown with Falkirk on Saturday.

Hope Arbroath can do better than Alloa did. Cove seem to have ridden out their wobble, since we ended their winning streak.  

Still, hopeful we can progress to round three without damaging our chances for Saturday.