Mighty Montrose FC Thread

Mention of Tezza reminds me that it was his Testimonial season before it was truncated by Covid-19. We must not forget that. As fans and the Club themselves we can wait a while to see how things pan out this season but we need to think of something like an online Testimonial where we can still contribute even if we can't see a game. Time yet but must not forget.

Paul Watson must be getting close to a Testimonial as well.

Meant to say as well that as an exiled fan and not therefore getting to any games this season (except Streaming) I never got around to paying my Supporters Club subs this season. I'll get that sorted after Xmas when funds are (if?) looking better. If you are in the same 'boat' don't forget as the Supporters Club do a great job.

And thirdly while I'm on here, I want to heap praise on two particular players who I'm really chuffed for at present. Rusty McLean I always knew had it in him as I've tracked him for quite a while even before he signed for us. He deserves great credit for his recent form after a frustrating time - well done Rusty, keep it going mate and that involves 'putting yourself about' on the pitch and showing who's boss! I was going to say you are the next McAllister but I think you are going to be better. Kerr Waddell is the next to heap praise on. His dad told me a while ago how good he was particularly in the air. He's had a hard time in the last year or so but he's now showing us what a great player he is - keep it going Kerr.

Others in the squad of course I don't forget and most get regular praise but it's great to see Webby getting more credit as well. CJ is another one who is a great squad member - never a great goalscorer but his contribution to the team is immense. Don't mean to miss anybody out but I just thought that Rusty and Kerr particularly deserve a lot of praise at this moment. 

And thirdly while I'm on here, I want to heap praise on two particular players who I'm really chuffed for at present. Rusty McLean I always knew had it in him as I've tracked him for quite a while even before he signed for us. He deserves great credit for his recent form after a frustrating time - well done Rusty, keep it going mate and that involves 'putting yourself about' on the pitch and showing who's boss! I was going to say you are the next McAllister but I think you are going to be better. Kerr Waddell is the next to heap praise on. His dad told me a while ago how good he was particularly in the air. He's had a hard time in the last year or so but he's now showing us what a great player he is - keep it going Kerr.
Others in the squad of course I don't forget and most get regular praise but it's great to see Webby getting more credit as well. CJ is another one who is a great squad member - never a great goalscorer but his contribution to the team is immense. Don't mean to miss anybody out but I just thought that Rusty and Kerr particularly deserve a lot of praise at this moment. 

How have Mochrie and Cochrane been?

14 hours ago, clanger165 said:
16 hours ago, MOFOREVER said:

How have Mochrie and Cochrane been?

Both young lads took a little while to settle into L1 first team football where there are a lot of very 'streetwise' opponents even if some (but not all) have seen better days. Chris and Harry have both adjusted well now though and certainly benefit from the early learning curve especially playing alongside experienced pros like Sean Dillon, Ross Campbell and Paul Watson. With Stewart Petrie as Mamager as well with his guile and tactical nouse especially his use of subs, I doubt if there is a better place for Chris and Harry to be at present. They are getting game time but being used carefully which means not being flogged to death or under-used either. What I would not like to see is them going to a club where they just warm the bench or go back to reserve team football. That will be no good for them - look at Blair Lyons our silmilar outstanding young 'find' last season - he's simply warming a bench every week at Plastic Whistle and didn't even get on the pitch against us recently except in the pre-match warm up. To summarise, Chris and Harry are developing nicely and will go on to better things IF THEIR DEVELOPMENT DOES'NT GRIND TO A HALT.

3 hours ago, Brummo said:

Sad news about former Mo player and manager: BBC News - Aberdeen: Former defender Chic McLelland dies at the age of 63

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55454098

Nothing as yet on Montrose FC website or Twitter. Can someone let them know?

Our co-manager when we were promoted in 1991.

A Mo legend. RiP

19 hours ago, Brummo said:

Thanks to the "big" teams' stalemate, my Christmas just got even happier :)

It is a pity the later matches did not have a similar outcome.

However was wondering to myself, if Tuesday night's damp squib was just the price you paid for being a part-time team. Expecting players to drive half the length of the country after work and give a top performance was a big ask. But I certainly didn't grudge them having yesterday off. At the end of the season though, when promotion may hinge on small margins, I did ponder, whether we would look back to that freezing cold Tuesday at Balmoor and rue those dropped points.

Full-time teams carry with them a higher level of expectation. They are paid to perform and entertain as their "day job". Of course the fact that Thistle had a relatively short commute to Falkirk, within the central belt meant that had they gone down the rescheduling route along the M90, it would doubtless have made less of an impact on their performance.  With no fans to take into account, other than those online, it would not have been any  less lucrative for the teams to switch to Tuesday.

The fact that playing on the Saturday after Christmas proved to be no advantage whatsoever, does seem a decent outcome for Montrose who will visit the Falkirk Stadium on the 16th. I really hope we can get a long-awaited win against a team, I feel have taken more points off the Mo than were deserved. If we play as well as we did against Dumbarton, I do not see why we this won't happen. Of course for now, there is the matter of trying to beat Forfar in our next fixture: a derby game, they will certainly be up for. It is a long road until the season ends away to Cove in May but I am feeling this truncated '20-'21 campaign could be a special one for the Mo*.

(* No, I don't think I have just jinxed it.)

On 27/12/2020 at 12:09, Brummo said:

Just came across this on the Falkirk thread... Do they seriously think SP would  be prepared to drop a division to be their manager?

Every league has 2 or 3 teams that cant accept they are playing in a league which is beneath where they think they should be.

Its not always the managers to blame, the board / Chairmen can be the bigger issue.

Falkirk are sitting top of a tough league and some are looking at a replacement? 
Ive always thought if SP was going to be poached it would be Dunfermline, who are doing okay just now and probably not looking?

Montrose don’t have the same pressures as these teams, because we are playing where we should be, and that lack of expectation probably helps create a happier team spirit, with better football.