St Mirren v Celtic

I don't think Foley and MacPherson played that well yesterday, but I'm unsure if it's a case of instructions or just having a bad game. I think all of us would like to see a bit more attacking intent and I'm sure Goodwin would too.

For those of us old enough to remember, the fear is an 'Ebbe Skovdahl like' result if we try and play against either side of the OF. It's slightly frustrating seeing Kilmarnock managing a draw for several reasons, but let's see where we are come Thursday to see where we stand in relation to that.

4 minutes ago, Munoz said:

If we're to make this game any kind of a contest,  a vast improvement will be needed on yesterday's performance. 

Not to give the opposition space or time on the ball was Goodwins orders . After the game Goodwin saying more of the same on Wednesday. Would be surprised if any Saints fans are actually looking forward to this game. From what I have seen from other teams we look far off top six quality.  Normality will resume this season. 

We were feeble yesterday. On the whole, pretty embarrassing stuff. Showed a bit more intent in the second half, but tough to award pass marks to anyone except the keeper and, possibly, the defence (though it's tough to know who to blame when the ball keeps getting lumped clear, straight back to the blue shirts: those doing the lumping, or those ahead not giving them options.) As I said ont he match thread, McGrath looked tidy in possession at times and will hopefully be more influential against weaker sides.

That said, the real fear is a backlash from Celtic dropping points at the weekend, so I can't see Jim taking his eyes off the GD column for this one. I'd go slightly more attacking, and restore McGrath to the centre, drop Sheron, and put Thor on the right wing. 

---------- Same defence-----------

--------- Cammy - Foley ------------

Thor - ------ McGrath ---- Durmus

--------------Obika----------------

Edited by Coventry Saint

I know it's easier said than done, but I just want to see us get in their faces, Jullien struggles against a physical striker so hopefully Obika can let him know he's in a game. With being allowed to make 5 subs that gives us more scope for playing a high press for longer spells of the game.

We also need to use the ball better when we have it, too often yesterday we gave away possession and invited more pressure on.

Retaining possession is the big issue for me so far this season (along with needing more options up top) 

We were poor in that aspect against Livingston too with some dire passing

24 minutes ago, Danny said:

Retaining possession is the big issue for me so far this season (along with needing more options up top) 

We were poor in that aspect against Livingston too with some dire passing

Good shout - when you think we conceded a lot of possession to LIvingston, too, the omens were always grim for yesterday/Wednesday.

29 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

I know it's easier said than done, but I just want to see us get in their faces, Jullien struggles against a physical striker so hopefully Obika can let him know he's in a game. With being allowed to make 5 subs that gives us more scope for playing a high press for longer spells of the game.

I was thinking that - we can tell players in certain positions to absolutely run themselves into the ground for 60 minutes, whilst knowing we're still covered for injuries, etc, if something doesn't go to plan. Less need to pace themselves.

Really missing having a fit Ryan Flynn for these types of games. 

7 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Good shout - when you think we conceded a lot of possession to LIvingston, too, the omens were always grim for yesterday/Wednesday.

I was thinking that - we can tell players in certain positions to absolutely run themselves into the ground for 60 minutes, whilst knowing we're still covered for injuries, etc, if something doesn't go to plan. Less need to pace themselves.

Really missing having a fit Ryan Flynn for these types of games. 

Jim Goodwin has to take some responsibility for that performance yesterday.  I'm not calling for his head he has to have his players show far more effort at holding the ball and its distribution.  

Need to get this game over with, get the heads up and look onwards to the rest of the games this month.  

Caught the 'Highlights' from yesterdays game (not a sniff of showing the penalty call) on the BBC and it looked fucking grim.  Despite advertising the game on Radio Scotland I couldn't get the commentary online or on FM/AM.  Had to listen to Radio Clyde when I was driving back down the road.  One of the many lowlights was the 'Who was the best corner taker at Ibrox'.  Cringeworthy 'yer da' criminal patter, been at least 25 years since I listened to the football on there.  Hope it's another 25 till I have to again.  

Scrappy, balls to the wall defending, Celtic win 1-0 and have 80% possession. 

Move along, nothing to see here.  

26 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Jim Goodwin has to take some responsibility for that performance yesterday.  I'm not calling for his head he has to have his players show far more effort at holding the ball and its distribution.  

My fear is that that's going to be our approach across the season. It was basically the same against Livingston, it's just that we got a decent early goal and then defended stoutly. Plus Rangers are, IMO, looking like a genuinely good side now.

Won't lie: I'm worried about Wednesday.

6 hours ago, Doctor Sanchez said:

Need to get this game over with, get the heads up and look onwards to the rest of the games this month.  

Caught the 'Highlights' from yesterdays game (not a sniff of showing the penalty call) on the BBC and it looked fucking grim.  Despite advertising the game on Radio Scotland I couldn't get the commentary online or on FM/AM.  Had to listen to Radio Clyde when I was driving back down the road.  One of the many lowlights was the 'Who was the best corner taker at Ibrox'.  Cringeworthy 'yer da' criminal patter, been at least 25 years since I listened to the football on there.  Hope it's another 25 till I have to again.  

Scrappy, balls to the wall defending, Celtic win 1-0 and have 80% possession. 

Move along, nothing to see here.  

To think what it was like with Sanderson. These days are long gone , not perfect but better R.S.  for me. 

6 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Radio Scotland will not provide live commentary from Ibrox for as long as Chris McLaughlin is persona non grata.

Yea, and I've been thinking about this for the last year or so.  I dunno why they've previously  been pandering to Sevco with commentary from someone watching a sky feed with really bad croud noises played over it.  Didn't realise they'd stopped that.

I understand why, and FWIW i agree with their decision, just a pity it's the fans of visiting teams that suffer.  I pay my licence fee etc etc...