Rangers vs St Johnstone - August 12th

5 minutes ago, perthsaint1977 said:

Could be messy for saints. Severely undercooked and a few injuries. Hopefully not a humping like we got from Celtic last season as that can throw your season into a mess early doors.

Think we'll need three in the middle to cope with this one. Any idea if Murray is fit?

Rangers obliterated St Mirren centrally today, and United caused us massive problems there in the first half last week. Millwall fans reckon the 5-2-3 set up saw them stronger defensively than a 4-5-1 set up.

Sadly I don’t we aren’t ready for this sort of test at Ibrox. Another reason the Aberdeen 8 situation was infuriating, it would have been a good game to assess where we are. Saying that, I’m confident our defence will be a good test for the Rangers attack. Our midfield and attack is too early to tell. I predict a loss, 2-0 

A game where saints having injuries, have had things go against us for practically the last month, lacking match practice. Usually the sort of game where we'd go, backs to the wall and grab a result.

However new manager, plus new system may see that a pipe dream. I'm more looking at the performance and trying to get some sort of match fitness in before we start to look in trouble. 

I’d quite like Kamara or Jack sacrificed to bring in a more creative player in midfield.

I feel this game may be similar to the St Mirren match and it just seemed a bit safe playing both of them together.

Of course, they dominate most midfields in this system but I’d prefer swapping it up every now and then to give us more attack power.

So something like ...

Parish

Kerr        Gordon       McCart

Craig

MacN     Spoony                  McCann      Booth

Hendry               May

... with Wotherspoon pushing up to the right of a front 3 if that's what Davidson wants to play? 

Was impressed with the Patreon analysis discussing how we used a front 3 defensively at Tannadice, that made sense. Different proposition here and not great coming into this with only one competitive game but would not be too upset if it was the same shape again. 

Think we have enough creative ability to get something against this defence and the same CB's have played well enough against Morelos in the past. Problem for us is going to be pace, which it looks like we might be a bit short of against the better teams this year. 

1-1 (Tanto doing the business and grabbing a late equaliser off the bench).

Edit : fk it

0 -1 (Tanto doing the business and grabbing a late winner off the bench).

Edited by Valentino Bolognese

So something like ...

Parish

Kerr        Gordon       McCart

Craig

MacN     Spoony                  McCann      Booth

Hendry               May

... with Wotherspoon pushing up to the right of a front 3 if that's what Davidson wants to play? 

Was impressed with the Patreon analysis discussing how we used a front 3 defensively at Tannadice, that made sense. Different proposition here and not great coming into this with only one competitive game but would not be too upset if it was the same shape again. 

Think we have enough creative ability to get something against this defence and the same CB's have played well enough against Morelos in the past. Problem for us is going to be pace, which it looks like we might be a bit short of against the better teams this year. 

1-1 (Tanto doing the business and grabbing a late equaliser off the bench).

Edit : fk it

0 -1 (Tanto doing the business and grabbing a late winner off the bench).

That would be my side too.

Watched Rangers a couple of times now and think three in the midfield makes sense. My worry with the 5-2-3 is that the wide players are pinned back by the Rangers fullbacks. That leaves you 2 vs 3 in the middle and with one central striker trying to occupy the centre halves. There was a bit of joy against them in the last meeting playing 5-3-2 because May's really good at defending from the front and knowing when to drop to help out our full backs or to let one of the middle three do so.

There is temptation to have O'Halloran (or Olaofe) high up the pitch as even St.Mirren had two or three moments where they were in, or close to being in, behind. The only issue is that's not worked in about five years. Might be a source of encouragement if we do play a 5-2-3 if we can get the wide players close enough

ETA: just remembered O'Halloran is suspended

1 hour ago, nelsjfc said:

That would be my side too.

Watched Rangers a couple of times now and think three in the midfield makes sense. My worry with the 5-2-3 is that the wide players are pinned back by the Rangers fullbacks. That leaves you 2 vs 3 in the middle and with one central striker trying to occupy the centre halves. There was a bit of joy against them in the last meeting playing 5-3-2 because May's really good at defending from the front and knowing when to drop to help out our full backs or to let one of the middle three do so.

There is temptation to have O'Halloran (or Olaofe) high up the pitch as even St.Mirren had two or three moments where they were in, or close to being in, behind. The only issue is that's not worked in about five years. Might be a source of encouragement if we do play a 5-2-3 if we can get the wide players close enough

ETA: just remembered O'Halloran is suspended

Maybe CD might go with 3 up front to try to push them into long ball rather than playing through us. Can't see that working, their game time vs ours this year will be a big factor and going with a formation we've only used competitively for 45 minutes would be a bit risky. Also agree that 2 of our players up against a strong midfield with a man up is a tough gig. Even if one of them is Ali McCann. Tanto up front trying to get in behind makes sense if we have 3 up top given that May and Hendry both sit a wee bit deep. Again, high risk for the lad's first game. Either way looking forward to the game. 

Interested to see if the absence of a crowd makes any difference when one of the 'big teams' are at home. 

We're 2 games in so overdue a Morelos sending off. Hopefully he gets told any moves he's looking for have fallen through just before kick-off.

19 hours ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Maybe CD might Interested to see if the absence of a crowd makes any difference when one of the 'big teams' are at home. 

Could work either way. Frustrating the crowd is a key part of winning games like this.

19 hours ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Maybe CD might go with 3 up front to try to push them into long ball rather than playing through us. Can't see that working, their game time vs ours this year will be a big factor and going with a formation we've only used competitively for 45 minutes would be a bit risky. Also agree that 2 of our players up against a strong midfield with a man up is a tough gig. Even if one of them is Ali McCann. Tanto up front trying to get in behind makes sense if we have 3 up top given that May and Hendry both sit a wee bit deep. Again, high risk for the lad's first game. Either way looking forward to the game. 

Interested to see if the absence of a crowd makes any difference when one of the 'big teams' are at home. 

We're 2 games in so overdue a Morelos sending off. Hopefully he gets told any moves he's looking for have fallen through just before kick-off.

I actually think you might see a 2 man midfield from Rangers tonight, Jack and Kamara.

If it's anything like Saturday, Aribo will be so far up that it'll be a front four. Judging from last nights training video, that's what we were practicing yesterday.