Can the Old firm stranglehold be broken?

1 minute ago, Tutankhamen said:

Feel sorry for the Italian and German fans in those one horse leagues.

Those leagues are not perfect either, but at least in Italy a team like Atalanta were able to mount a title challenge. I can't imagine an equivalent-sized team mounting one in Scotland.

Atalanta were able to put together a challenge because they found a tactical edge over their opponents and had the money to keep it together for a good while. We don't have the money to do that in Scotland, so we have to look at other ways to foster competition.

9 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

That’s all well and good but the Tv money being split evenly 12 ways would require a 11-1 vote in favour of it which would never happen.  Because of the monumentally fucking stupid 11-1 voting system.

Agreed, the first thing to do is scrap the 11-1 system, which only benefits short-term thinking Old Firm teams. It amazes me that this survived Rangers' spell in the lower leagues.

But ultimately, there will come a time in the near future where an Old Firm team propose a resolution that requires the support of other members. Perhaps I'm naive about the process, but I don't understand why other clubs don't say "Okay, but in exchange, the 11-1 system goes."

2 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I’m all ears for these ways about how one of the 40 other SPFL clubs can challenge the Old Firm without anything close to their revenue.

I suspect it's a similar method to the way that Scotland can completely revitalise the national team and get a deep run in the Euros/World Cup by tweaking the domestic league with colt teams or larger leagues or having Neil Doncaster stand on a soapbox and shout 'youth development' through a megaphone in Buchanan Street on Saturday afternoons.

Of course they can be caught, other teams need to get that fear factor out of their heads. Look at Celtic and Rangers in Europe, they get raped without Vaseline by teams you can barely pronounce. Wee clubs in Europe are desperate to get this vile lot in  the CL and know they have a chance of getting through. The Irish team struggled against Kilmarnock was the perfect example. 

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

What the f**k are you talking about? A club like Leicester, Everton, Wolves are far more likely to win The Barclays than someone else win the Scottish Premiership out with Celtic or Rangers. I couldn’t care less what the odds are or were. It happened in 2016 down there.

An absolute clusterfuck of an answer despite using hindsight. 

3 minutes ago, gannonball said:

An absolute clusterfuck of an answer despite using hindsight. 

A ‘clusterfuck’ of an answer which is 100% factually correct. Unlucky.

We have had good Motherwell and Aberdeen sides finish runners-up in the last decade, and cheap digs from down south about a one team league.

But look at Italy. There is no way our sides should have the same expectation to Celtic over a season as Napoli/Inter to Juventus.

A poor tv deal, no European prize money and gates making up bigger percentage of revenue than most other European leagues in stadiums a third the size of Parkhead. Our runners-up early in the run had no chance over a season. Juve’s rivals were making high profile signings, making knockout European football etc. 

Italian League teams don’t get enough criticism for having Juventus win it for nearly a decade. It’s frustrating.

Edited by East Coast Warrior

35 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I’m all ears for these ways about how one of the 40 other SPFL clubs can challenge the Old Firm without anything close to their revenue.

On further reflection, I think the examples of Bolingoli and/or the Aberdeen eight show a clear path to ending old firm dominance this season. If we can just persuade a few nubiles of the appropriate gender to honeytrap the Rangers and Celtic squad into rulebreaking behaviour by dragging them out to packed nightclubs and dirty weekends to coronavirus hotspots on the continent, we could tactically remove parts of the OF squads before vital games, by a timely leak of incriminating selfies to the footballing and public health authorities.

I suspect it'd be much, much, cheaper to pimp out suitably attractive hotties to professional footballers than it would be to hire players to compete with them on the pitch. The major snag would treading the fine line between using the tactic so often as to make a difference on the field, without using it so often that Nicola Sturgeon bans Scottish fitba' altogether.

If Morelos doesn’t leave Ibrox, RIFC will be in serious financial difficulties. They announced that they needed £10 million to complete last season, put their players wages on hold and have spent over £10 million on Hagi, Roofe etc. Popcorn on order

1 minute ago, CambieBud said:

If Morelos doesn’t leave Ibrox, RIFC will be in serious financial difficulties. They announced that they needed £10 million to complete last season, put their players wages on hold and have spent over £10 million on Hagi, Roofe etc. Popcorn on order

My source in the Square Mile tells me that during a recent conclave among the Ibrox hierarchy, it was pointed out that the directors committed to covering all losses through soft loans and the conversion of this to equity.

Stay tuned, Dear Reader.

This is the European equivalent of the Challenge Cup. I may be wrong but I don't believe the coefficient points will be made from this competition the same way as the Europa League and certainly not the CL.

You’re not wrong at all, why people are putting all their eggs into the basket of the Wintertoto Cup is beyond me.