Can the Old firm stranglehold be broken?

Ok this my first post, I hope it's not too controversial.  Can the old firm stranglehold on the game be broken?  It could be argued that it's just Celtic that has the stranglehold on the game since Rangers haven't won anything for years; however I think it's only a matter of time before they grab a trophy or two.  Celtic's original 9 in a row was undoubtedly the mark of a great team since they made 2 European finals as did Rangers during that time period.  Can the same be said for the current 9 in a row side?  Hmmmm!

9 in a rows are not unique.  Juventus have just done it in Italy while Bayern Munich look set to do it next year.  It's been seven years since Bayern Munich made the Champions league final while Juventus haven't won if for 25 years, indicating that 9 in a row is not necessarily the mark of a great team; however, it might be the symptom of a bigger problem.

It's clear that the teams that can throw the money around are going to snap up the best players from rival clubs and from abroad.  Is it now time to place restrictions on the amount of players that any team can buy and to make mandatory that clubs should field a significant percentage of home grown talent from their academies?  Let's not kid ourselves Scottish football no longer produces great home grown talent.  The way things are it's only going to get worse.

I think the circumstances would need to be absolutely perfect for a team other than Celtic or Rangers to win a title.

They are at an immediate disadvantage financially so they need to have the perfect mix of coaching, management and players that I think is almost impossible to get.

Aberdeen had the best chance to do this during the Deila years. No other club will get as good an opportunity again now that their brothers are back so Celtic aren't penny pinching.

15 minutes ago, Tribal Trash said:

Ok this my first post, I hope it's not too controversial.  Can the old firm stranglehold on the game be broken?  It could be argued that it's just Celtic that has the stranglehold on the game since Rangers haven't won anything for years; however I think it's only a matter of time before they grab a trophy or two.  Celtic's original 9 in a row was undoubtedly the mark of a great team since they made 2 European finals as did Rangers during that time period.  Can the same be said for the current 9 in a row side?  Hmmmm!

9 in a rows are not unique.  Juventus have just done it in Italy while Bayern Munich look set to do it next year.  It's been seven years since Bayern Munich made the Champions league final while Juventus haven't won if for 25 years, indicating that 9 in a row is not necessarily the mark of a great team; however, it might be the symptom of a bigger problem.

It's clear that the teams that can throw the money around are going to snap up the best players from rival clubs and from abroad.  Is it now time to place restrictions on the amount of players that any team can buy and to make mandatory that clubs should field a significant percentage of home grown talent from their academies?  Let's not kid ourselves Scottish football no longer produces great home grown talent.  The way things are it's only going to get worse.

I presume that you are counting Rangers as part of the old firm. Do you realise that since Rangers last won a trophy, Aberdeen, Ross County, Inverness Caley, St Johnstone, Hearts, Hibs, Kilmarnock and St Mirren have all won one? Where the hell does the word dominance fit in?

I actually had this discussion with my mates yesterday. It's unlikely ever to happen but if someone with significant wealth was to put a decent amount of money into a Scottish team then I think it could be done. I'm talking an owner that would run the club properly rather than some of the charlatans that have been in charge of Scottish clubs over the years.

The example we discussed was Bournemouth who are owned by a Russian billionaire. He'll have no doubt pumped millions into them over the last few years and he's now left with a Championship club. I've never really understood why someone like that doesn't put their money into Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen or any Scottish club really. To be successful in Scotland they would only need to spend a fraction of what they spend in England and if they spend the money wisely they could have a genuine title contender and the possibility of Champions League football.

The above may be viewed as utter pish in the eyes of many so feel free to ridicule.

14 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I presume that you are counting Rangers as part of the old firm. Do you realise that since Rangers last won a trophy, Aberdeen, Ross County, Inverness Caley, St Johnstone, Hearts, Hibs, Kilmarnock and St Mirren have all won one? Where the hell does the word dominance fit in?

Do you think these teams would have won these trophies if Rangers hadn't been relegated 3 divisions and didn't need to rebuild their team literally from scratch?

I know Leicester had plenty of financial clout when they won the EPL, but even then, on squad comparisons you’d have got good odds on them even finishing top 6.
It shows it might be possible, but it would to be the “perfect storm” for it to happen in Scotland.
The skill gap between a £20m player & £30m player is closer than a £5m player & a £500k player, so less likely in Scotland IMHO.

Leicester would still be far more of a shock. You only need 2 teams fo have an off season for say Aberdeen to win it. Leicester needed 4/5 to not be at the races and also the wage gap at the time between them and the likes of Man City was about 150m I think. Add in that we always seem to run at a large transfer surplus it shouldn’t on paper be anywhere near be as a shock.

Edited by gannonball

Do you think these teams would have won these trophies if Rangers hadn't been relegated 3 divisions and didn't need to rebuild their team literally from scratch?

Hearts and us did it before that happened, so I'm going to say yes.

Not whilst they play to the lowest common denominator of Scotland.  They thrive on bigotry, which allows them to gain more followers, hence all their games are shown on TV, so they get most of the TV money, which allows them to sign better players, which makes them finish first and second, which gets them more prize money, and European money.

it's an endless cycle which looks almost impossible to break.  They'll always have gargantuan levels of income streams compared to the 10 other teams in the league at any point in time.

Plus, if they did ever feel threatened or challenged, they'd just dangle the money carrot at the club who was challenging, and sign their 2/3 best players to sit in the stand for them every Saturday.

Leicester would still be far more of a shock. You only need 2 teams fo have an off season for say Aberdeen to win it. Leicester needed 4/5 to not be at the races and also the wage gap at the time between them and the likes of Man City was about 150m I think. Add in that we always seem to run at a large transfer surplus it shouldn’t on paper be anywhere near be as a shock.

Leicester were still able to spend probably over a hundred million pounds on that squad and pack it full of international players. The relative wage gap becomes a bit easier to overcome in those circumstances rather than clubs having to work almost exclusively in free transfers.