Motherwell's one stop short holiday

Busta Nut

Draw's the mora, We're bound to draw some random rich team from Dagestan or something.
We're still in preseason mode by the look of things and no one is allowed to go anyway.

This could end up costing money depending on what the draw throws up. 

If we draw a team from a country that is not on the Scot Gov quarantine free list then we could not travel there and they could not travel here. Then we need to look at a neutral venue which would mean paying money to effectively rent out a stadium. 

It is quite possible we would or our opponents would forfeit the tie unless UEFA contributes to travelling expenses. 

It may be over before it even starts.

Was hoping for a Welsh or Irish team but is Ireland not allowing travel from UK ? Don’t know if this is regionalised. Although I remember reading something that it is kind of but nothing official. 

Clearly hoping for a team in the lower half of unseeded sides. Not that it will matter the way we are playing at the moment. 

Edited by welldaft

2 hours ago, welldaft said:

This could end up costing money depending on what the draw throws up. 

If we draw a team from a country that is not on the Scot Gov quarantine free list then we could not travel there and they could not travel here. Then we need to look at a neutral venue which would mean paying money to effectively rent out a stadium. 

It is quite possible we would or our opponents would forfeit the tie unless UEFA contributes to travelling expenses. 

It may be over before it even starts.

Was hoping for a Welsh or Irish team but is Ireland not allowing travel from UK ? Don’t know if this is regionalised. Although I remember reading something that it is kind of but nothing official. 

Clearly hoping for a team in the lower half of unseeded sides. Not that it will matter the way we are playing at the moment. 

Without checking in detail, I thought the qualifiers were one game at the first drawn team's ground. Uefa do pay for travel, or it's taken from prize money. Otherwise very few teams would enter at this stage, even under normal circumstances. Teams entering or leaving would be subject to testing, I doubt get a would have sanctioned an international competition without establishing guidelines that allow their members to travel.

7 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

If both Scottish teams can't beat any of those assorted diddies we really need to just pack up shop. 

Get back down to the upper basement.

I hope we get a home tie. It will be an extremely winnable tie if thats the case. The issue with these regional group pots is 8f we make it then there is a high chance we could play spurs.

Also will this be streamed to season ticket holders and PPV?

1 hour ago, Phillips455 said:

I hope we get a home tie. It will be an extremely winnable tie if thats the case. The issue with these regional group pots is 8f we make it then there is a high chance we could play spurs.

Also will this be streamed to season ticket holders and PPV?

And we did. 50/50 but does away with complications of getting to Faroes were that to be the situation. 
I suspect it will be Glentoran and have no idea how good or bad they are. 
We comfortably beat Linfield pre season last year. 
We still need to up our game big time or an upset could be on the cards. 
Still pleased with draw and home tie. 

Having done a bit more research I can see that Glentoran are one of lowest ranked teams in UEFA. HB are ranked 100 or so places above them. Not only that HB are playing competitively in their league these past few months and Glentoran are yet to play a competitive game. 

That would suggest HB would be favourites. However they are away to Glentoran and on Wiki HB have NEVER won an away game in Europe despite qualifying most years. They did amazingly beat Red Bull Salzburg at home 10 years ago. 

Also I noted on Kassies that we are only 2 seeded teams losing away from being seeded in round 2 if I interpret correctly.  And with 47 ties you would hope that is more than likely. 

Anyway the way we are playing one leg gives me the fear v unseeded team but maybe some hope v a seeded team. 

2 hours ago, welldaft said:

Having done a bit more research I can see that Glentoran are one of lowest ranked teams in UEFA. HB are ranked 100 or so places above them. Not only that HB are playing competitively in their league these past few months and Glentoran are yet to play a competitive game. 

That would suggest HB would be favourites. However they are away to Glentoran and on Wiki HB have NEVER won an away game in Europe despite qualifying most years. They did amazingly beat Red Bull Salzburg at home 10 years ago. 

Also I noted on Kassies that we are only 2 seeded teams losing away from being seeded in round 2 if I interpret correctly.  And with 47 ties you would hope that is more than likely. 

Anyway the way we are playing one leg gives me the fear v unseeded team but maybe some hope v a seeded team. 

You didn't mate. If a seeded team loses then the unseeded side "inherits" the seeded side's coefficient for the following round.

EDIT: I'm a complete idiot. Wikipedia has it as you have said. Ignore my above statement

Edited by ArabAuslander

19 teams (who play in the 1st round) are above Motherwell in the hypothetical 2nd round seedings. Unfortunately 16 are at home and 3 away. Surely two will lose though.

You didn't mate. If a seeded team loses then the unseeded side "inherits" the seeded side's coefficient for the following round.

EDIT: I'm a complete idiot. Wikipedia has it as you have said. Ignore my above statement
To be fair, normally you would be right. That's because usually the QR2 draw is before the conclusion of QR1. This year the draw is after the conclusion of QR1, so that's why it's different now.

4 hours ago, Marten said:
15 hours ago, ArabAuslander said:

To be fair, normally you would be right. That's because usually the QR2 draw is before the conclusion of QR1. This year the draw is after the conclusion of QR1, so that's why it's different now.

Yeah realised that. A couple of shocks would be good for Motherwell

It appears that our European Opponent's game (Glentoran vs HB Torshavin) will be live streamed on the BBC website. I am not sure if there will be any region locking but hopefully there wont be.

There game is on Thursday 20th August so if you are interested in it then you should check the BBC website closer to the game.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53785675