Sky Sports are Taking the Piss Thread

8 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Sky sports just did ‘big moments from the past decade of killie Celtic’ that was just a list of Celtic wins. 

Couldn’t even chuck in the win under Steve clarke for killie? 

Also chuck in the spelling mistake for ‘January’. 

We beat them twice under Clarke - I can't remember if both were on BT or if that would made a difference.

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

We beat them twice under Clarke - I can't remember if both were on BT or if that would made a difference.

So you did. 

Assuming you’re at the game and not watching they had a montage of about 6 fixtures from the past decade at rugby park, all of which Celtic won. 

7 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

It wouldn’t make a difference. Even when BT had the rights, Sky could show clips and highlights of BT games after midnight.

But the live rights holder(s) always have access to the full archive, possibly now going right back to the year dot (becuase of the SPL/SFL merger). 

I guess not showing clips from a game that was on BT will be a creative decision because it wouldn’t have Ian Crocker’s commentary. 

22 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

10 minutes ago, The Master said:

It wouldn’t make a difference. Even when BT had the rights, Sky could show clips and highlights of BT games after midnight.

But the live rights holder(s) always have access to the full archive, possibly now going right back to the year dot (becuase of the SPL/SFL merger). 

I guess not showing clips from a game that was on BT will be a creative decision because it wouldn’t have Ian Crocker’s commentary. 

I'm pretty certain one of the games was on Sky. I watched it in a pub in Ireland with a bunch of Celtic fans which was fun.

15 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

That’s more like it.

Not really, because the “secondary deal” is an option for Sky to take another 20 games each season, but if they don’t then they could be sold to another broadcaster. 

What’s not clear is if this is an option Sky would have on a season-by-season basis, or if they have to commit at the start of the rights cycle. If the former, who’s going to stump up £8m at short notice for a single season, with no guarantee they can renew for the following season? But equally, I can’t see it being the latter because otherwise what’s the point of the whole “up to 60 but at least 42”? If they take on an extra 20 a season for the full duration that means they’re committing to at least 61 games per season.

This does all seem to point at the speculation that Sky are preparing to lose some or all of their EFL rights. This would open the door for more SPFL matches because it would free up Saturday lunchtime and either Friday or Monday night each week. 

1 hour ago, The Master said:

Not really, because the “secondary deal” is an option for Sky to take another 20 games each season, but if they don’t then they could be sold to another broadcaster. 

What’s not clear is if this is an option Sky would have on a season-by-season basis, or if they have to commit at the start of the rights cycle. If the former, who’s going to stump up £8m at short notice for a single season, with no guarantee they can renew for the following season? But equally, I can’t see it being the latter because otherwise what’s the point of the whole “up to 60 but at least 42”? If they take on an extra 20 a season for the full duration that means they’re committing to at least 61 games per season.

This does all seem to point at the speculation that Sky are preparing to lose some or all of their EFL rights. This would open the door for more SPFL matches because it would free up Saturday lunchtime and either Friday or Monday night each week. 

Is there any chance of ViaPlay coming in with a bid for the rights? They seem to come with a good reputation and are in the process of taking over Premier Sports, as well as having the rights to the Scottish internationals. From what I’ve read online the SPFL don’t intend to put the rights out to tender, which seems like absolute lunacy if you want to be able to negotiate from any sort of position of power. Sky have got us over a barrel here because they know they are currently the only viable TV broadcaster with BT out the picture.

I would rather see the SPFL do something that could maybe drag Scottish football into the modern technological world rather than sign another long term contract with Sky that completely undersells our game. By that I mean looking at the multitude of streaming services out there, realising that people are choosing to watch television in different ways nowadays and something like a Sky subscription is going to be stuff of the past soon. DAZN recently launched in the UK and mainly show boxing, but they are a worldwide company who hold the rights for leagues like the EPL and La Liga in other countries. You also have platforms like Amazon and Discovery+ who have been looking to onboard sports as part of their package. Obviously I don’t have the first clue if any of them are interested or not but to start dealing with Sky for a deal that runs until the turn of the next decade, without putting the contract out to tender, seems like idiocy to me. From the outside it just looks like a lazy, thoughtless decision, which is absolutely par for the course when it comes to Doncaster and the SPFL. 

The SPFL briefing it's pet journalists I see.

If the big idea was to sell more games to Sky to increase the TV revenue, they might have told us that in the first place. 

I'm not quite sure how they're going to square it with the 3pm traditionalists, but I guess that's their problem. 

Lets do some maths shall we?

Current deal: 48 games, £29.5m per season = £615,000(ish) per game. 

New deal: 60 games, £30m per season = £500,000 per game.

New deal with option: 80 games, £38m per season = £475,000 per game. 

Doesn't seem that great to me!

Edited by G51

If the big idea was to sell more games to Sky to increase the TV revenue, they might have told us that in the first place. 
I'm not quite sure how they're going to square it with the 3pm traditionalists, but I guess that's their problem. 

The price per game is always going to drop as you add more games though. Games 1-48 are obviously going to be more attractive to broadcasters than games 49-60 and 61-80.

Most teams in the league were shown 6 times or fewer on Sky last season. If this deal means 3 or 4 more televised games for an increase of over a third in income then that has to be viewed as a win IMO.

Would allow them to show some genuinely interesting games instead of whichever bigot invasion is happening each weekend too.

14 minutes ago, G51 said:

At a time when inflation is at an all time high, and almost every product and commodity is being sold for a higher price than what it was 12 months ago, Doncaster manages to go and do a deal with Sky that brings in less money than the previous deal. The guy needs hunted. 

Is there any chance of ViaPlay coming in with a bid for the rights? They seem to come with a good reputation and are in the process of taking over Premier Sports, as well as having the rights to the Scottish internationals. From what I’ve read online the SPFL don’t intend to put the rights out to tender, which seems like absolute lunacy if you want to be able to negotiate from any sort of position of power. Sky have got us over a barrel here because they know they are currently the only viable TV broadcaster with BT out the picture.
I would rather see the SPFL do something that could maybe drag Scottish football into the modern technological world rather than sign another long term contract with Sky that completely undersells our game. By that I mean looking at the multitude of streaming services out there, realising that people are choosing to watch television in different ways nowadays and something like a Sky subscription is going to be stuff of the past soon. DAZN recently launched in the UK and mainly show boxing, but they are a worldwide company who hold the rights for leagues like the EPL and La Liga in other countries. You also have platforms like Amazon and Discovery+ who have been looking to onboard sports as part of their package. Obviously I don’t have the first clue if any of them are interested or not but to start dealing with Sky for a deal that runs until the turn of the next decade, without putting the contract out to tender, seems like idiocy to me. From the outside it just looks like a lazy, thoughtless decision, which is absolutely par for the course when it comes to Doncaster and the SPFL. 

Not sure I buy the idea that Sky is some outdated organisation which will be phased out in the near future. They’ve been in the streaming game for more than a decade and their Now platform is the equivalent to DAZN, Discovery+ etc.

20 minutes ago, G51 said:

The games are already getting played.

Just now, lubo_blaha said:

The price per game is always going to drop as you add more games though. Games 1-48 are obviously going to be more attractive to broadcasters than games 49-60 and 61-80.

Most teams in the league were shown 6 times or fewer on Sky last season. If this deal means 3 or 4 more televised games for an increase of over a third in income then that has to be viewed as a win IMO.

Would allow them to show some genuinely interesting games instead of whichever bigot invasion is happening each weekend too.

Of course. Your premium games are going to sell first, and after that it's going to be the less attractive ones. 

But this is only true if:

a) the five-games-per-ground rule holds, which I notice is conspicuous through it's omission from the Scotsman's press release. Whose to say this isn't just going to be Sky showing loads of Rangers and Celtic home games?

b) Sky actually take up the option, which is clearly far from a guarantee.

In addition, naming the price for the option doesn't seem like a great idea if Sky turn it down, because you've effectively capped the maximum value of your deal. BT aren't going to pay £9m for games that Sky turned down for £8m.