Sky Sports are Taking the Piss Thread

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Right. 

So you've no idea how we actually go about it, but some American has pumped out some buzzwords so you've decided his plan is brilliant?

Great stuff.

Do you have an idea on how to go about it or are you currently more than happy with the status quo? I doubt most on a Scottish football forum actually know how to exactly go about it.

What a condescending wanky comment.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not going to be as simple as "remarket and that's it" though. There's years upon years of damage to be undone, and if the SPFL want to take a different route, they'd probably have to take a substantially more shitty offer, at least in the early going. Because I don't buy that even a decent offer would be made in those conditions. And I don't think I could blame anyone for turning down a sharp decrease in income from one season to the next.

2 minutes ago, Andre Drazen said:

It's not going to be as simple as "remarket and that's it" though. There's years upon years of damage to be undone, and if the SPFL want to take a different route, they'd probably have to take a substantially more shitty offer, at least in the early going. Because I don't buy that even a decent offer would be made in those conditions. And I don't think I could blame anyone for turning down a sharp decrease in income from one season to the next.

That's exactly what I'm saying. It needs to be a whole process. Otherwise we will just continually accept shit. The deal runs until the end of the 24-25 season. We should be planning now on how to go forward.

Edited by Ludo*1

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

Do you have an idea on how to go about it or are you currently more than happy with the status quo? I doubt most on a Scottish football forum actually know how to exactly go about it.

What a condescending wanky comment.

I don't think there's a better option just now than Sky, since they're the highest bidder.

Its just boring as f**k when absolute dreamers pop along, talk about how shit everything is, say everything would be better if folk weren't saying it was shit, claim there's some magical solution if everyone "just tries it", and then absolutely bottle making any genuine constructive points when asked.

You go on about "long term planning" and "remarketing" with absolutely no further detail. Where would the money come from? How accessible would it be for fans? How would the money filter through the leagues? How do you market it? What do you do if the income is far lower than expected?

It just reeks of absolute bollocks that would end with us stuck with some Setanta like company who are also full of complete dreamers and we all end up worse off. Sky is shit in terms of coverage, but anyone who remotely gives a f**k about what pundits are saying instead of just watching the match is OFTW anyway.

I think the SPFL were thinking about exposure when they signed with Sky as well, viewing figures for games on BT are about half that of SPFL games on Sky. As much as Sky are really annoying at times, they have a much larger customer base for clubs and more importantly their sponsors to reach. This season Sky nearly got 1m viewers for the New Year Old Firm, numbers that BT would never get unless its for a "huge" English game.

I think in future, the way to go would be to ensure that x number of "B-class" games a season were available Free-to-air, with the rest going to Sky, BT, DAZN etc. Then there's less of a worry over "exposure" with a pay-tv firm, and that if a Channel 4 or 5 show 15 games a season, it gets the best of both worlds, money and exposure.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I don't think there's a better option just now than Sky, since they're the highest bidder.

Its just boring as f**k when absolute dreamers pop along, talk about how shit everything is, say everything would be better if folk weren't saying it was shit, claim there's some magical solution if everyone "just tries it", and then absolutely bottle making any genuine constructive points when asked.

You go on about "long term planning" and "remarketing" with absolutely no further detail. Where would the money come from? How accessible would it be for fans? How would the money filter through the leagues? How do you market it? What do you do if the income is far lower than expected?

It just reeks of absolute bollocks that would end with us stuck with some Setanta like company who are also full of complete dreamers and we all end up worse off. Sky is shit in terms of coverage, but anyone who remotely gives a f**k about what pundits are saying instead of just watching the match is OFTW anyway.

You calling anyone boring is ridiculous. 

It's also absolutely moronic to not think the game could be promoted better than it currently is.

Let's just accept our place then with no drive or want to improve.

Edited by Ludo*1

3 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

You calling anyone boring is ridiculous. 

It's also absolutely moronic to not think the game could be promoted better than it currently is.

Let's just accept our place then with no drive or want to improve.

Thanks for your in depth response on how to improve things.

I'm fully on board with you now, truly your plan can lead us into a new golden age.

Edited by RandomGuy.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Thanks for your in depth response on how to improve things.

I'm fully on board with you now, truly your plan can lead us into a new golden age.

Yeah, because I'm getting into the detail with someone that's acting like a condescending w**k. Naturally, that's how I want to spend my evening.

2 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Yeah, because I'm getting into the detail with someone that's acting like a condescending w**k. Naturally, that's how I want to spend my evening.

I imagine you'll repeat your act from a few nights ago and tell me you're leaving as you've better things to do, over the course of 4 separate posts and the best part of half an hour, tbh.

It was a simple question but the fact you're refusing to try and answer probably helps explain why I'm massively dubious of it. Yer man Nelms absolutely stinks of a dreamer aswell, so that makes me even less likely to back it.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

I imagine you'll repeat your act from a few nights ago and tell me you're leaving as you've better things to do, over the course of 4 separate posts and the best part of half an hour, tbh.

It was a simple question but the fact you're refusing to try and answer probably helps explain why I'm massively dubious of it. Yer man Nelms absolutely stinks of a dreamer aswell, so that makes me even less likely to back it.

No, you were talking shite the other night and whilst there's definitely merit in this current argument that you're throwing up, the need to act the way you are defeats the purpose of engaging.

As it is, if you think that we (Scottish football/Doncaster/clubs) are doing everything we can to secure better deals in the future, grow the game in terms of viewership and general interest, then fair fucks to you.

In terms of getting more exposure, who are we supposed to be "exposing" the product to, and what tangible benefits will the clubs get out of that?

We're already doing exceptionally well on attendances at all levels, and I'm not convinced there's loads of room for growth there. I'm also pretty convinced that beyond (maybe even including) the two obvious clubs there is never realistic chance of our clubs having substantial global appeal.

7 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

No, you were talking shite the other night and whilst there's definitely merit in this current argument that you're throwing up, the need to act the way you are defeats the purpose of engaging.

As it is, if you think that we (Scottish football/Doncaster/clubs) are doing everything we can to secure better deals in the future, grow the game in terms of viewership and general interest, then fair fucks to you.

I think there's almost zero chance you'll ever get folk from England bothered in the slightest about Hamilton v Kilmarnock battling for the play off spot, never mind anywhere else on the planet, so the chances of us pushing this league without it being all about the top two clubs is dead before it hits the water.

There was probably a window in the 90s when Sky was growing, the EPL was new and Rangers were pumping money into themselves, for Scottish football to grow in terms of audience/appeal. That's gone now though. There's not room for a new channel (Amazon will fail unless they massively improve), so your entire plan is convincing one of the current ones to change their approach. Premier won't, that's a fact. BT showed their commitment to Scottish football with their paltry offer last time around, then you're left with Sky, who don't even pretend to care about anything other than the English top flight.

I've zero idea where you think Scottish football can turn? We have no bargaining rights, none of the TV companies need our product. They won't change this opinion because Neil Doncaster goes into a meeting talking about exciting the top 6 race is, or because some no mark is baselessly claiming its the "toughest league on the planet".

I've genuinely asked you for any detail on what you think can be done, who we could turn to, and you're just avoiding the question/turning to insults, which is exactly what dreamers do.

8 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

In terms of getting more exposure, who are we supposed to be "exposing" the product to, and what tangible benefits will the clubs get out of that?

We're already doing exceptionally well on attendances at all levels, and I'm not convinced there's loads of room for growth there. I'm also pretty convinced that beyond (maybe even including) the two obvious clubs there is never realistic chance of our clubs having substantial global appeal.

That's a fair point. The appeal definitely is limited. Do you think we've maximised our appeal though? Will we sustain these attendances? Football is becoming more and more of a closed shop. The latest Champions League plans reflect that.

Do you think that would have a negative impact on our league going forward? Is there anything else we (scottish football) can be doing to ensure this sort of level is at the very least maintained if not improved?

On a completely non-scientific basis, as a teacher, I've noticed a growing trend of kids preferring English football to Scottish. There's always been kids that has been the case with, but I'd suggest that it's becoming more and more of a majority.

Sky aren't the problem as I said in a previous post, and they take a completely understandable approach and just use our leagues as a channel filler, but and I might be dreaming, would it not be preferable if we had a TV company talking the game up every time we were on like BT did when it was joint? Selling our game is going to be massively important in the coming years IMO. I don't confess to having all the answers, but I am sure that more can be done through clever marketing, and a real push on selling the game.

I'm not just confining to Sky, that'd be silly. I mean in general. How long has our top flight went without sponsorship? Our SC is again, without a sponsor. This is money that could be spent on marketing IMO.

19 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

That's a fair point. The appeal definitely is limited. Do you think we've maximised our appeal though? Will we sustain these attendances? Football is becoming more and more of a closed shop. The latest Champions League plans reflect that.

Do you think that would have a negative impact on our league going forward? Is there anything else we (scottish football) can be doing to ensure this sort of level is at the very least maintained if not improved?

On a completely non-scientific basis, as a teacher, I've noticed a growing trend of kids preferring English football to Scottish. There's always been kids that has been the case with, but I'd suggest that it's becoming more and more of a majority.

Sky aren't the problem as I said in a previous post, and they take a completely understandable approach and just use our leagues as a channel filler, but and I might be dreaming, would it not be preferable if we had a TV company talking the game up every time we were on like BT did when it was joint? Selling our game is going to be massively important in the coming years IMO. I don't confess to having all the answers, but I am sure that more can be done through clever marketing, and a real push on selling the game.

I'm not just confining to Sky, that'd be silly. I mean in general. How long has our top flight went without sponsorship? Our SC is again, without a sponsor. This is money that could be spent on marketing IMO.

I've seen this too, so just take the piss out of it regularly. "Woaft. That game was a shocker last night" "VAR is murdering any excitement" "God, the amount of goalkeeping howlers you see down there these days" "So many poor poor teams these days in the BPL".

Quality entertainment.

23 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Yeah, I agree with this. Scottish football is only ever really watched by Scottish folk, but in a huge percentage of the population compared to other leagues around the world. We have very little appeal outside this.

I would like to hear from @AmericanFan on this and what enticed him to come on board?

8 hours ago, johnnydun said:

Yeah, I agree with this. Scottish football is only ever really watched by Scottish folk, but in a huge percentage of the population compared to other leagues around the world. We have very little appeal outside this.

I would like to hear from @AmericanFan on this and what enticed him to come on board?

I just enjoyed my visit to Scotland a few years back and was kind of curious about the league. I also have Scottish heritage from the Highlands. I've always been a football fan on the global stage, and it's popular for fans over here to pick an EPL team to follow, so I took that and moved it north. 

4 hours ago, AmericanFan said:

I just enjoyed my visit to Scotland a few years back and was kind of curious about the league. I also have Scottish heritage from the Highlands. I've always been a football fan on the global stage, and it's popular for fans over here to pick an EPL team to follow, so I took that and moved it north. 

It’s called soccer over here, mate.

17 hours ago, AmericanFan said:

So would a 'Your Heritage Needs You'  campaign work in America?