Sky Sports are Taking the Piss Thread

Even including all 3 that’s mad. I pay £60ish for BT including sports, broadband and tv. 
I'm sure they'll offer me a deal to stay, but I don't really see the point. All my daughter watches is YouTube and Netflix and the Mrs Netflix. And I have a 4G unlimited plan with EE and a 4G router that's twice as fast as landline broadband anyway.

On 12/04/2022 at 17:09, Clown Job said:

Slightly off topic but I see FIFA has announced its launching its own streaming platform to show live football 

Edit: It’s free and will have archived footage. 

Clicky

That’s it up and running, you can download the app or stream it direct 

They showed Randers v Midtjylland live earlier and some Mongolian football.

No commentary and some of the games they’re broadcasting are single camera. But it’s still pretty impressive 

On 12/04/2022 at 19:58, Jinky67 said:

I do have a vested interest as both an employee of them and someone who has savings invested as shares

What i’ve shared with you there isn’t commercially sensitive or hard to find out nor am i unhappy that my mortgage, security and kids futures aren’t at risk because the company i work for haven’t had the foresight to have contingencies in place if the golden goose of the EPL was taken away.

Skys churn numbers are the lowest they have been for over a decade and they are no longer just a UK brand so what you posted just isn’t the reality.

Now that isn’t to say i don’t think or would like to see better coverage of Scottish football of course i would however some of those questions need to be asked of those selling the game to broadcasters as to why they value it so little

This reminds me of that guy who was buying Northern Rock shares as they plummeted.

3 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

This reminds me of that guy who was buying Northern Rock shares as they plummeted.

I do a new SAYE scheme every 3 years when you factor in your 20% discount and the fact they are up $20 a share since my last one started in 2019 i should be fine, the worst that happens is i get all my money back 😉

When Comcast bought all of our shares in 2018 it was a nice earner and one of the better ways to boost your savings risk free 😊

Edited by Jinky67

I do a new SAYE scheme every 3 years when you factor in your 20% discount and the fact they are up $20 a share since my last one started in 2019 i should be fine, the worst that happens is i get all my money back [emoji6]
When Comcast bought all of our shares in 2018 it was a nice earner and one of the better ways to boost your savings risk free [emoji4]

I've never been a fan of SAYE (just a personal thing). Never sh*t where you eat and all that, as well as the lock in period. But I've known lots of people get returns from it over the years so if you're happy to just fire and forget, as you say, you at worst get your money back if you don't convert to shares so all you've lost is 3 years of inflation against it.

Out of interest, is it Comcast shares you get now? Had a look for BSY and looks like it was delisted after Comcast took over.

3 hours ago, gaz5 said:

I've never been a fan of SAYE (just a personal thing). Never sh*t where you eat and all that, as well as the lock in period. But I've known lots of people get returns from it over the years so if you're happy to just fire and forget, as you say, you at worst get your money back if you don't convert to shares so all you've lost is 3 years of inflation against it.

Out of interest, is it Comcast shares you get now? Had a look for BSY and looks like it was delisted after Comcast took over.

Aye, you can get it back - unless the company goes bust and the SAYE money has not been held in trust.

Aye, you can get it back - unless the company goes bust and the SAYE money has not been held in trust.
That's got to be the exception, to be fair, rather than the rule. [emoji846]

As I say, I'm not a fan, I don't (and have never) used SAYE for a bunch of reasons.

2 minutes ago, gaz5 said:

That's got to be the exception, to be fair, rather than the rule. emoji846.png

As I say, I'm not a fan, I don't (and have never) used SAYE for a bunch of reasons.

I don't really get how you are paying that much. Seems like a mistake. We are paying £60 a month for Sky TV with sports and broadband.

4 hours ago, gaz5 said:

I've always found it pretty worthwhile but sometimes timing is everything. I had one that i finished and converted to shares as it was becoming apparent Sky was being sold and the Comcast/Fox bidding war started. The price offered at that time i started that sharesave was around £9.50 , Comcast ended up buying the shares at over £17 each so the 7.5k i had saved over the period almost doubled.

But yeah now its Comcast shares you are given the chance to buy and the fixed option price was around £27 so should again be a decent kicker and it works for me just now as i have never been a particularly great saver of money using conventional methods, it comes off the top line along with some of my other benefits so i don't ever feel like i miss it.

Edited by Jinky67

3 hours ago, DMCs said:

I don't really get how you are paying that much. Seems like a mistake. We are paying £60 a month for Sky TV with sports and broadband.

Will see what they say when I call to cancel at the weekend. I'm about 5 years past my contact tie in for all services, so probably my own fault for just rolling it on.

Attached what my bill says currently, for info.Screenshot_20220414-152104.thumb.jpg.98d7c7ae6d30445c012b8cafc2a74c81.jpg

Have a look on sites like MoneySavingExpert for advice on haggling with Sky. I normally just wait until there is a deal on and say I want to recontract on the Black Friday Deals (as an example). I've got half price everything at the minute.

Apologies for turning this into a HotDealsUK type post.

50 minutes ago, gaz5 said:

Will see what they say when I call to cancel at the weekend. I'm about 5 years past my contact tie in for all services, so probably my own fault for just rolling it on.

Attached what my bill says currently, for info.Screenshot_20220414-152104.thumb.jpg.98d7c7ae6d30445c012b8cafc2a74c81.jpg

You are on a lot of legacy packages mate that don't exist anymore so it isn't the most cost effective way to have a package bundled. For example Line rental is now bundled with Broadband and isnt charged separately and Variety is no longer a package we sell. 

Even just by moving off the legacy packages you could save yourself around £40 

23 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

You are on a lot of legacy packages mate that don't exist anymore so it isn't the most cost effective way to have a package bundled. For example Line rental is now bundled with Broadband and isnt charged separately and Variety is no longer a package we sell. 

I'm similar to GazS, have a like for the advice. 

Cheers mate, I'll give them a bell tomorrow. [emoji106]

8 hours ago, gaz5 said:

We might be on a starter deal or something to be fair. Plus looks like your internet is better quality. I'm not sure my missus deals with this particular bill as a hangover from the internet she had in her previous flat. I deal with most others.

£117 with no sport is outrageous though. You should absolutely be quitting that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

This seems as good a place as any to mention that Sky are seemingly showing the Scottish Premiership in UHD this season. 

They’ve launched a UHD version of Main Event on channel 858 and it’s showing the two games at the weekend as being in UHD.