Sky Sports are Taking the Piss Thread

10 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

Embarrassing from Sky but sadly not unexpected.

They've also photoshopped GVB's head onto Gerrard's body in that tweet.

And the Rangers 'manager figure' in their little montage is all suited , booted and necktied while the Celtic 'manager figure' is dressed in casual leisure attire clearly designed to place him 'downstairs among the lower orders'. This kind of endemic anti-Irish racism tells you exactly why Celtic have been so disgracefully held back by the football authorities for decades !

1 hour ago, Leith Green said:

Do you mean supporters or people who follow certain teams on the TV?

The Sky argument would go something along the lines of "we always get bigger audiences for matches involving Rangers and Celtic than those matches where neither are involved"

Its difficult to argue against that point, on the basis that there are so few of the latter to compare with the former.

It is similar to the laughable argument that used to be trotted out by Peter Lawell that other clubs needed to provide more of a challenge...............while simultaneously sending lowball offers into competitor clubs for their best assets.

I was just musing in general the support for teams across Scotland.

This is only loosely related to the TV debate,

1 hour ago, Leith Green said:

Do you mean supporters or people who follow certain teams on the TV?

The Sky argument would go something along the lines of "we always get bigger audiences for matches involving Rangers and Celtic than those matches where neither are involved"

Its difficult to argue against that point, on the basis that there are so few of the latter to compare with the former.

It is similar to the laughable argument that used to be trotted out by Peter Lawell that other clubs needed to provide more of a challenge...............while simultaneously sending lowball offers into competitor clubs for their best assets.

Let's be honest, Sky would happily show only 4 Scottish games per season if they could

1 hour ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

If the argument is that Sky get more viewers for Celtoic and Rangers than they do for the rest, then whjy don't they only show Man Utd and Liverpool games down south? Why bother showing utter dug meat like Brentford vs Burnley as part of a "super Sunday".

They don't give a f**k about Scottish football and have done nothing but hurt our game for decades.

Because Peters Poodle , Doncaster, did not negotiate the EPL deal

I guess the number of people who say they are OF supporters is very high - although most of them have never set foot in Ibrox or Parkhead - and this will be who Sky are hoping to target to a large extent.

In comparison, with most other clubs, my assumption is that a very high proportion of folk that identify as supporters will actually go to some games. 

Sky make no pretence about the TV deal - it is based on 4 OF games a season and whatever OF side is playing away in a given week. They'll stick a couple of Edinburgh derbies in to make up the numbers but there is absolutely no attempt to promote meaningful games outwith the OF. 

In general, I think Scottish Football - outside the OF pish - is more comfortable in its skin than it was a decade ago - there is no pretence that we compete with the EPL circus and folk enjoy it for what it is. I think Sky just don't get how it has moved on and as a result, a lot of of folk just ignore it.

I’m going to go slightly against the crowd and say I don’t blame Sky for showing every Celtic game post-split. Clearly they want to show the title-winning game, plus the final day will be the trophy lift.

What they do need severely criticised for is not using their full quota of games to cover the other parts of the league.

Dundee v St Johnstone was crying out to be picked. I was also going to suggest the games where Dundee Utd, Ross County and Motherwell all play each other but I think Utd have reached their quota of 5 home games, which would rule out Dundee Utd v Motherwell; but no reason why Ross County v Motherwell shouldn’t be picked, then add Ross County v Dundee Utd on the final weekend if still relevant (but you know they won’t - they’ll want all the focus on Celtic’s party). 

5 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I'm sure the BBC will show a few next season...

Speaking of which - do we know if Sky have a veto over domestic streaming of Saturday 3pm games in the Championship and below (assuming the blackout doesn’t return)?

The BBC having live rights to the Championship would suggest not, but there’s really no telling how the SPFL’s agreements work. 

Edited by The Master

2 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I meant the cup.

So defensive for some reason...

Unlike his team. 

Spoiler

And mine, before anyone points that out. 

Edited by The Master

Aren’t we our own worst enemies though?  I mean, how many non-OF fans will still subscribe to sky sports?  I bet there’s plenty.  

And as bad as OF fans are, at least they generally try to do speak up in protest against things.  All we do is moan on social media and carry on paying our money accepting it’s our lot. 

What if every supporter of every club boycotted OF matches? *
Not a single supporter in the ground for every match home or away v either of them. Fans could still buy tickets for home games but not attend to not lose their club income. 

Make it absolutely sterile for OF fans and sky viewers.

Push for fairer voting structure, better spread of matches covered etc.

There’s 40 other clubs and 2 of them, they need the other clubs to play against. It’s pathetic the way the rest of us just accept things, even down to chairmen never speaking out.

* and yes I’m aware St Johnstone fans have been doing this for years for OF matches!

1 hour ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

If the argument is that Sky get more viewers for Celtoic and Rangers than they do for the rest, then whjy don't they only show Man Utd and Liverpool games down south? Why bother showing utter dug meat like Brentford vs Burnley as part of a "super Sunday".

They don't give a f**k about Scottish football and have done nothing but hurt our game for decades.

Not the best example maybe - they pretty much show all of the EPL games so it's just a matter of deciding which time slot each game will get.  I'm pretty certain Man U and Liverpool games are always televised - and mostly at the prime slots as well.

Regardless, It's true they don't give a f**k about Scottish football.

On 06/04/2022 at 21:11, johnnydun said:

They should move the Saturday games to a 5.15pm KO just for a laugh.

TBF, I have been saying for years that they need to move the Juvenile and Amateur KO times so they do not clash with the SPFL times, it would mean hundreds of extra supporters would be able to go and watch. Missed revenue imo.

Alternatively, I've had similar thoughts but more about the non-league game. I'd love to see more of their matches played on a Friday night or even a Sunday, particular in places like Edinburgh or Glasgow. I follow the EoS and LL closely, and would love to take in more games than I do, but as they're all 2/3pm kick offs on a Saturday, I seldom get the chances as I'm a ST holder at Tynecastle.

Even if it was just a handful of games on some sort of rotational basis, not necessarily entire matchdays on a different day. Not sure how drastic it would increase crowds but would be interesting to see if they experimented with it.

6 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Not the best example maybe - they pretty much show all of the EPL games so it's just a matter of deciding which time slot each game will get.  I'm pretty certain Man U and Liverpool games are always televised - and mostly at the prime slots as well.

Regardless, It's true they don't give a f**k about Scottish football.

Sky show 128 EPL games, BT 52 and Amazon 20 (=200, out of 380 total). 

There’s also maximum and minimum quotas on team. Sky can only show each team a maximum of 21 times.

The other key difference between the TV deal down south and up here is that their contract gives the broadcasters the “right and obligation“ to show matches. In other words, in the unlikely event Sky didn’t show their full quota of 128 games, there would be a contractual penalty to pay. 

1 hour ago, kennie makevin said:

And the Rangers 'manager figure' in their little montage is all suited , booted and necktied while the Celtic 'manager figure' is dressed in casual leisure attire clearly designed to place him 'downstairs among the lower orders'. This kind of endemic anti-Irish racism tells you exactly why Celtic have been so disgracefully held back by the football authorities for decades !

I am no fan of Sky, but it's a bit of a stretch to say they control how managers choose to dress on the side of the pitch. 

Anyone who interprets dress choices in the way you suggest clearly has issues.

2 hours ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

Don't know the specifics of the EPL TV deal, but I'm sure all the clubs got a fair say in negotiations and managed to get a clause that every team has to be shown X number of times. As for the SPFL deal, I'm really not sure how much say the clubs got.

1 minute ago, Hendo said:

I am no fan of Sky, but it's a bit of a stretch to say they control how managers choose to dress on the side of the pitch. 

Anyone who interprets dress choices in the way you suggest clearly has issues.

I don't think he was being entirely serious with his post.