Sky Sports are Taking the Piss Thread

1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

I'd like to see BBC Scotland take on a token league game once a weekend. A non OF one. 

Expose some of the teams to folk who can't afford to/won't pay for subscription television.

I'm sure the SPFL would love to be broacasting on the BBC rather than Sky, but they simply don't have the ability to (or at least aren't willing to) pay anything like the same amount that Sky do.

Just now, craigkillie said:

I'm sure the SPFL would love to be broacasting on the BBC rather than Sky, but they simply don't have the ability to (or at least aren't willing to) pay anything like the same amount that Sky do.

I'm not talking about them paying for it. Just give them it for a season and see what kind of viewing figures they get.

I could be wrong but there's likely loads of potential fans out there who don't support their local team because their parents  don't give a f**k. That's certainly one of the reasons why Aberdeen go so heavy on making the Primary School children aware of the club through the Community Trust.

21 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I'm not talking about them paying for it. Just give them it for a season and see what kind of viewing figures they get.

I could be wrong but there's likely loads of potential fans out there who don't support their local team because their parents  don't give a f**k. That's certainly one of the reasons why Aberdeen go so heavy on making the Primary School children aware of the club through the Community Trust.

TV revenue accounts for something like a third of clubs' income (and that will likely go up with the increased Sky deal), it's not really something they can just give away for free.

7 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

TV revenue accounts for something like a third of clubs' income (and that will likely go up with the increased Sky deal), it's not really something they can just give away for free.

I'm not talking about giving up the tv revenue. I'm suggesting placing one of the lesser games of that match week on free to air tv. 

Keep the Sky model as it is with one of the Old Firm away games on subscription telly every week. I'm confident enough that it wouldn't keep too many match going fans of those clubs away from the game and it may encourage others to give it a go if they enjoy what they see.

4 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I'm not talking about giving up the tv revenue. I'm suggesting placing one of the lesser games of that match week on free to air tv. 

Keep the Sky model as it is with one of the Old Firm away games on subscription telly every week. I'm confident enough that it wouldn't keep too many match going fans of those clubs away from the game and it may encourage others to give it a go if they enjoy what they see.

The Sky deal is for exclusive TV rights, so any move to give a game to the BBC would substantially reduce the value of that deal. If the BBC were willing to pay multiple millions per year for that it might be possible in terms of making up the shortfall, but again we know that's not the case.

That then brings us back round to the idea of the clubs foregoing a guaranteed large seven figure sum on the hope of getting increased exposure, which has a vague and intangible financial value.

Just now, craigkillie said:

The Sky deal is for exclusive TV rights, so any move to give a game to the BBC would substantially reduce the value of that deal. If the BBC were willing to pay multiple millions per year for that it might be possible in terms of making up the shortfall, but again we know that's not the case.

That then brings us back round to the idea of the clubs foregoing a guaranteed large seven figure sum on the hope of getting increased exposure, which has a vague and intangible financial value.

Do you think Sky would be fussed about St Mirren v St Johnstone being shown on free to air TV?

Could have an agreement that the kick off time matches the kick off time of the big BT Sports game of the weekend?

Tbf BBC Scotland are paying a lot of money for Scottish Football and can't really justify showing any more - esp. given the pressure they are under to cut costs. 

Ideally, you'd want STV to pick up some secondary live rights - but the higher-ups at the channel aren't interested in Sport. Which leaves the likes of Premier - who seem to be happy with the rights they already have.

4 minutes ago, Golden Gordon said:

Does anyone have an idea of why the games broadcast on Alba (TV not politics) have to be shown as a rerun? They invariably never, to my knowledge, show any games involving the popular Glasgow clubs. 

Because that's the deal they signed.

I think when they first started doing the ALBA games years ago, BT Vision had the same deal with the SPL at the time to show one of the Old Firm at home in a full delayed format on demand from 7pm on Saturday. So ALBA's rights were for games not-involving the Old Firm, and I think that deal has just been continued ever since. It's a win for ALBA as they get more viewers than normal with football and it's a win for the SPFL as it's more money in the Prize Fund and ALBA produce the "world feed" to go to Sportscene for highlights and possibly be broadcast internationally/Club TV. 

On 20/04/2021 at 12:18, Jacky1990 said:

Would you actually want this though?

You know straight from the off that it'll be at least 20 mins each on Celtic and Rangers, 10 mins on Hibs or Aberdeen or Hearts to provide "balance" and 10 mins on the rest of the teams combined. I genuinely cant imagine Sky giving any sort of insight into, for instance, Livi v Ross County without just showing the manager's pre-match interview.

You appear to have described Sportscene there.

3 minutes ago, ArabAuslander said:

Because that's the deal they signed.

I think when they first started doing the ALBA games years ago, BT Vision had the same deal with the SPL at the time to show one of the Old Firm at home in a full delayed format on demand from 7pm on Saturday. So ALBA's rights were for games not-involving the Old Firm, and I think that deal has just been continued ever since. It's a win for ALBA as they get more viewers than normal with football and it's a win for the SPFL as it's more money in the Prize Fund and ALBA produce the "world feed" to go to Sportscene for highlights and possibly be broadcast internationally/Club TV. 

Much obliged. 

40 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Do you think Sky would be fussed about St Mirren v St Johnstone being shown on free to air TV?

Could have an agreement that the kick off time matches the kick off time of the big BT Sports game of the weekend?

I take it the SPFL don't break up the games into packages like the EPL? I believe they break up the games into different categories and sell them all at different rates.

We all know Sky are only interested in the old firm but the next time the TV deal comes round you could sell a separate package of say Friday night games every 2nd week and can only show a min and max of each team 3-5 times a season. You are right that Sky probably wouldn't care about losing St Johnstone v Hamilton on a Friday night so wouldn't bid for it and/or the SPFL make it only available for free to air tv.

Sky's coverage is vastly worse than BT Sport's when we had both broadcasters. It feels rushed together and a bit club TV at times, especially regarding the Old Firm. They don't seem to care that much for the game other than getting OF fans to subscribe.

When non-OF games are shown the coverage always feels apologetic in a 'sorry we're showing this' line, rather than actually embracing the the game they have on. To see Sky aren't even covering the playoff semi-finals is no surprise. Shame as the semi-finals have arguably been better games than the finals in most years! 

Edited by flyingscot

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

I do wonder how much impact 'total exclusivity to all games' has on the price over say 'exclusive coverage of Rangers and Celtic games or first pick of games'. Would it make that much difference? 

That said, your intangible value point is valid. Under normal circumstances clubs can directly see any reduction in tickets and corporate money from the game being not at 3pm on a Saturday whereas increased exposure or the value of marketing is harder to see. 

They should show our next two games but yesterday's Hibs/Aberdeen results mean that they'll likely cover that on the 12th but probably still have our game v Killie (unless it all goes to shit in the next gameweek). I suppose they could do a double bill of County-Accies and Aberdeen-Hibs or do one on the Tuesday and one on the Wednesday.

They should show our next two games but yesterday's Hibs/Aberdeen results mean that they'll likely cover that on the 12th but probably still have our game v Killie (unless it all goes to shit in the next gameweek). I suppose they could do a double bill of County-Accies and Aberdeen-Hibs or do one on the Tuesday and one on the Wednesday.

They can show 7 more games if they want to.

I haven’t checked but I’m guessing their coverage of today’s dead rubber will get the full hour build up, starting at 11?

3 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I haven’t checked but I’m guessing their coverage of today’s dead rubber will get the full hour build up, starting at 11?

There’s NO SUCH THING as a dead rubber between these two and unless you’ve been involved with those clubs you will NEVER understand it. 

5 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

There’s NO SUCH THING as a dead rubber between these two and unless you’ve been involved with those clubs you will NEVER understand it. 

Can guarantee that if there is a loser today it will be a case of “the game didnae matter anyway”