Scottish Premiership Hot Potato 2020/21

5 hours ago, AmericanFan said:

The hot potato the team that is at the bottom of the table?

Not quite.

The team suffering the heaviest defeat on the opening weekend of the season takes possession of the Hot PotatoTM. (Hamilton lost 5-1 to Celtic) Thereafter, they have to win to get rid of it. If they don't win, they keep the Potato. Often times, it is the team at/near the bottom, as they lose more often, but in theory someone could win the league, and also win the Hot PotatoTM .

11 hours ago, deej said:

Not quite.

The team suffering the heaviest defeat on the opening weekend of the season takes possession of the Hot PotatoTM. (Hamilton lost 5-1 to Celtic) Thereafter, they have to win to get rid of it. If they don't win, they keep the Potato. Often times, it is the team at/near the bottom, as they lose more often, but in theory someone could win the league, and also win the Hot PotatoTM .

So they give the potato to whomever they beat and it just gets passed around?

4 hours ago, AmericanFan said:

It sounds quite straightforward, but for many in Scottish football, this is a far more significant trophy than the league title.  Whereas only the two rich clubs can realistically win the title, this ‘prize’ is available to all.

To most ‘in the know’ followers of the game here, deej is a more important figure than either Neil Doncaster or Ian maxwell. Certainly does a better job.

11 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

It sounds quite straightforward, but for many in Scottish football, this is a far more significant trophy than the league title.  Whereas only the two rich clubs can realistically win the title, this ‘prize’ is available to all.

To most ‘in the know’ followers of the game here, deej is a more important figure than either Neil Doncaster or Ian maxwell. Certainly does a better job.

haha

5 hours ago, AmericanFan said:

Exactly that.

53 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

🥰

1 hour ago, The Other Foot said:

One wonders how entertaining it would be to back-date the Hot Potato to the beginnings of Scottish footballing history. Someone should do it. Bagsy not me though. 

I've started us off with Vale of Leven, who lost 8-2 to Cambuslang on the opening day of the 1890-1891 Scottish Football League.

Thanks to the jammy wearers over at London Hearts, this could actually be done...

https://londonhearts.com/scores///games/189008161.html

58 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

This could come undone if the tattie is with a club that dies while in possession. Say Third Lanark, Airdrie or any other club that's died.

I've just done the first season as an experiment (I am not, repeat not, getting roped into doing this in full) and so far no problems:

1890/91 Hot Potato

Vale of Leven lose 8-2 on the opening day to Cowlairs, and hold it for 2 weeks before they win 2-1 against...

Abercorn, who hold on to the tattie for 21 weeks, before they hand out a 5-1 thrashing and pass it over to...

St Mirren, who keep possession for 7 weeks before they secure a 3-2 win against...

Third Lanark, who have it for five weeks before they stick four past...

Heart of Midlothian, who keep it until the final day of the season before they play none other than...

Vale of Leven, everything comes full circle with their 4-2 defeat to Hearts.

The fear is that in 1891-92, the bottom two sides are not re-elected to the league. If either of them are carrying the potato, then it's all goosed after just two seasons.

ETA: Of course, I've just realised from looking at the table that Vale of Leven go the season without earning a single win. :lol:

That last day win for Hearts has doomed the mother of all Hot Potato odysseys. 689397000_JackCross.png.b63270ced54fdef5112ad4e526dda567.png

Edited by HibsFan

13 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I've got the data to do this with a quick computer program rather than going through it manually. Leave it with me.

We can just have a rule that if the holders go down it gets redistributed at the start of the next season.

This happens anyway

1 minute ago, LiviLion said:

Thought the point was that the holders are relegated? Most exciting part of the season is if the HP ends up in the top half after the split.

Ideally, but Neil Doncaster hasn't replied to my bebo messages

The way I've been doing it is simply a Potato per season, so relegation is not an issue. 

Season 1890-91 

Vale of Leven, as above

Season 1891-92

Vale of Leven kick us off getting pumped 10-3 by Celtic, and then make it very easy by failing to win any games that season, drawing 5 and losing 17.

Season 1892-93

Abercorn take possession in week 1, losing 4-0 to Rangers. They hold it for 4 weeks, then defeat Leith Athletic 1-0. 2 weeks later they beat Renton 3-2, who immediately give it back to Abercorn with a 2-1 away win. 2 weeks after that, Clyde are on the end of a 2-1 defeat. Quite a while later, Clyde beat Hearts 3-2 at Tynecastle in the penultimate game of the season, before Hearts lose at Ibrox to finish the season in 5th place, with a Hot Potato.

This is interesting, but fairly time consuming when I'm supposed to be working. If anyone fancies doing some seasons, crack on, if not I'll get back to them at some point. That London Hearts website is brilliant, but I do wish statto.com was still alive.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

Aye, but we're talking about doing a long-term one which straddles the entire history of Scottish top flight football.

I got to about 1902-03 last night before your post rescued me, and I was on the third potato. Potato I was buried with Vale of Leven at the end of the 1891-82 season, Potato II was buried with Dumbarton at the end of the 1895-86.