UEFA Champions League 20-21

GNU_Linux

Just a fractured nose and eye socket for De Bruyne. I think Rudiger was a bit lucky but until the culture of that kind of foul changes, there will always be incidents like that.

7 hours ago, Gianfranco said:

Werner is the nearly man. His positional sense, link up play and movement is incredible. He’s always in the right place although he’s missing a lot of chances and only scoring when offside at the moment.

Yet at RB Leipzig he was scoring better than a goal every two games. Not sure why that's changed at Chelsea but he sure fucked up my early season Fantasy Football team 

1 minute ago, sparky88 said:

Yet at RB Leipzig he was scoring better than a goal every two games. Not sure why that's changed at Chelsea but he sure fucked up my early season Fantasy Football team 

He's just utter shite. The Bundesliga is horse. The lad has worse technique than most amatuer players. He'll be moved on as soon as Chelsea can cause he's brutally shite, and if he couldn't run like f**k wouldn't even be playing professionally.

1 hour ago, sparky88 said:

Because he gets less chances with Chelsea. He's always been a woeful finisher.

Final was a simple case of one manager playing his best side in a simple, structured, solid set up, while the other has completely over analysed the game and complicated it for themselves. 

Guardiola seems like his own worst enemy tbh, needs a dull as f**k pragmatic assistant to slap him every so often.

Edited by RandomGuy.

7 hours ago, David W said:

Just a fractured nose and eye socket for De Bruyne. I think Rudiger was a bit lucky but until the culture of that kind of foul changes, there will always be incidents like that.

Agreed. Was saying watching the game last night that if that was rugby its probably a red card, although incidents like this are much rarer in football it's something they need to consider updating the rules for.

Guest TheJTS98
21 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

They have it spot on, peps ego again costing his team dearly, 

Could be ego, but I think at this point it's probably more like a lack of confidence.

Whatever anyone says, there's no way a decade of 'the best coach in the world' not winning the Champions League is not playing on his mind.

Changing things like this in crunch games just looks to me like he doesn't trust his system or his players and is desperately trying to second guess how they're going to f**k up. Which, of course, means they play these games with less fluency due to using unfamiliar shapes.

He definitely needs a stronger assistant, or someone to just tell him to shut up from time to time.

Could be ego, but I think at this point it's probably more like a lack of confidence.
Whatever anyone says, there's no way a decade of 'the best coach in the world' not winning the Champions League is not playing on his mind.
Changing things like this in crunch games just looks to me like he doesn't trust his system or his players and is desperately trying to second guess how they're going to f**k up. Which, of course, means they play these games with less fluency due to using unfamiliar shapes.
He definitely needs a stronger assistant, or someone to just tell him to shut up from time to time.
Its a bit of a difficult analysis tbf, to think why someone like Pep suddenly decides, in a final, to totally concede control of the midfield before a ball is kicked. Theres no easy answer to why he would do that. Perhaps should ask an 8 year old playing fifa, since thats likely the only other place you will see someone thinking having a DM is boring, lets just lob all the attackers on.

Guest TheJTS98
5 hours ago, Bairnardo said:
6 hours ago, TheJTS98 said:

Its a bit of a difficult analysis tbf, to think why someone like Pep suddenly decides, in a final, to totally concede control of the midfield before a ball is kicked. Theres no easy answer to why he would do that. Perhaps should ask an 8 year old playing fifa, since thats likely the only other place you will see someone thinking having a DM is boring, lets just lob all the attackers on.

It's a weird one, and we'll never know for sure.

My best guess is based on them having lost to Chelsea recently. I reckon he's thought ahead to a possible defeat playing his normal system and anticipated (feared?) being ridiculed or questioned for what would have been framed as repeating the same mistake.

I'm not saying this is right or fair, but it's now a long time since he's won the Champions League and I think this feeds into it. Had City won the CL last season, I reckon he plays his best shape in the final this year. And probably wins it.

When you come up against a team with kante in it or a similar style and ability player, you need that extra bit of protection in midfield as its likely that you will lose the ball more often in the midfield instead of moves breaking down in the box/final third of the pitch, pep likes his attacking free flowing football fair enough, but sometimes you need to accept that playing ugly is what's required, 

And by not starting with a striker as such, it allowed chelsea's backline to remain in a solid shape, everything city had was in front of them, nothing trying to break through the lines, peel off centre halves etc

So you have kante dominating a city midfield lacking in bite, and a chelsea backline that are comfortable knowing nearly all the play is in front of them, once their confidence grew (especially after the goal goes in) then its hard to beat that, especially leaving the changes so late like pep did