UEFA Champions League 20-21

GNU_Linux

Yeah, I mean obviously big successful teams have used it to win competitions, but sometimes, like today, it looks really blunt when nobody seems to be taking the responsibility to be the "9".
When you have shit hot attacking players they can obviously bail you out, but I think in general you win in spite of playing that system, not because of it. No team playing that system would be made worse by putting a top quality striker in up front instead of this nonsense.

Pep absolutely loves doing these weird things in the hope it looks like a masterclass though, so I love seeing them go wrong.

7 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

He's one of those English players that have been hyped massively, and therefore a lot of folk up here have went so far the other way.

But him and foden are both top class players, and they're only going to get better (said with an ominous tone).

I'm glad I don't have to listen to the English commentary, the Dutch commentators call it as they see it, they've been quite complimentary when talking about Mount.

Just now, 19QOS19 said:
14 minutes ago, Jim McLean said:
Ederson a bit lucky there. A foul would have been a red.

Not sure if it would have been. He even got something on the ball so would have received a yellow I'd imagine.

He was outside the box so it would have been DOGSO... automatic red.

Just now, the_bully_wee said:

Hearing reports that yer da has logged in to pieandbovril.com to explain why false nines are the pseudo-intellectual manager's choice of striker

Pep should play a 4-4-2 like a proper football team.

But really look at past results in the CL. Pep usually fucks it with a weird team selection.

Just now, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Yeah, it hit the keepers hand outside the area I think? VAR would have prolly had him off if it hadn't gone in the back of the net.

I don't think it was handball tbh. Arms were close to his body and down by his side.

More that the big slide nearly took out the Chelsea player as he was going round him.

Pep should play a 4-4-2 like a proper football team.
But really look at past results in the CL. Pep usually fucks it with a weird team selection.
Last season he definitely did, taking his team completely out of its comfort zone to match up against a pretty average Lyon side with 3/5 at the back. City's only proper nine is Aguero though, who isn't fully fit and is no longer blessed with the pace required to stretch that Chelsea back line. Their renaissance this season came with the use of a false nine and it is by far the system that they're best and most comfortable using, so I wouldn't say the team selection is all that weird tonight - Sterling over Fernandinho is the only remote surprise, but he's only playing so City have *some* kind of a threat in behind.

1 minute ago, J_Stewart said:

For all the commentary teams complete desperation for him to be the top boy and great white hope, Phil Foden has been fucking shite here.

I was waiting for someone else to say this as I didn't want to be the one who caused him to score the equaliser/winner

4 minutes ago, the_bully_wee said:
12 minutes ago, Jim McLean said:

Their renaissance this season came with the use of a false nine and it is by far the system that they're best and most comfortable using, so I wouldn't say the team selection is all that weird tonight - Sterling over Fernandinho is the only remote surprise, but he's only playing so City have *some* kind of a threat in behind.

Most competent football teams don't play with six attacking midfielders, unless their squad was put together by David Hopkin ramraiding Ringers 'R' Us at five minutes to midnight. 

They've got zero control over the game and have stopped threatening in the second half so far as well. If Chelsea tried to keep the ball instead of trying to get a second goal then they could boss the midfield.

Most competent football teams don't play with six attacking midfielders, unless their squad was put together by David Hopkin ramraiding Ringers 'R' Us at five minutes to midnight. 
They've got zero control over the game and have stopped threatening in the second half so far as well. If Chelsea tried to keep the ball instead of trying to get a second goal then they could boss the midfield.
You're right, most of them don't!