UEFA Champions League 20-21

GNU_Linux

2 hours ago, Lex said:

The likes of Barca and Real know they are being blown out the park by the EPL financially. The ESL was a desperate attempt by them and the Italians to be able to compete with the English clubs long term, and it failed miserably. As a result I think all English finals are going to be the norm rather than the exception for the foreseeable future, sadly.

I think this goes in cycles, was only a few years ago the Spanish were winning most European trophies. Real and Barca have been the biggest spenders for longer periods than anyone else. They will come back. The Italians have the potential to have multiple teams winning in Europe, they have fallen behind the English and Spanish but may come back again.

The sad thing is apart from PSG and Bayern the other teams from their countries and the likes of Benfica and Ajax are now so far behind that the CL is likely to be won for the foreseeable by a team that were involved with the ESL plus PSG and Bayern.

Just look at the Ajax and Monaco teams that got to the semi finals in the last 5yrs, their best players were cherry picked by the 'ESL' teams. That is the saddest thing for me, these teams had huge potential to genuinely compete for a few years but were denied that opportunity. Look at Dortmund right now with Sancho, Bellingham and Haaland, if they build round those players then in a year or two they should be genuine contenders and remain so for years to come but they won't have the chance to do that.

Edited by ahemps

Dortmund are a good example of what a lot of clubs should be doing. Buy promising young players and play them from an early age, then sell them on at a huge profit. They’ve been doing it successfully for years

25 minutes ago, Mr Tourette said:

Dortmund are a good example of what a lot of clubs should be doing. Buy promising young players and play them from an early age, then sell them on at a huge profit. They’ve been doing it successfully for years

They are and they aren't. Yes there model has been very successful but what is their ultimate aim?

Dortmund get 80K every week and are probably the 2nd biggest club in Germany with all the potential to be among the biggest in Europe. Dortmund shouldn't be a feeder team to Bayern Munich or Man Utd or anyone. They are taking the gamble on these young players and once they prove they are top players they move on. Why aren't they keeping them?

This is exactly what is wrong with football. If you dare to challenge the elite be prepared to get picked apart.

I would say Spurs and Atletico have been slightly better in the regard that Atletico are more realistic contenders against the elite and Spurs hold on to their star players longer (Bale was a good sell and Eriksen was running out of contract) but haven't managed to be true genuine contenders on the  field (1CL final aside).

On 06/05/2021 at 14:32, Mr Tourette said:

Yep, Bayern have effectively funded them for the last decade.

6 hours ago, ahemps said:

Final possibly moving to Wembley in front of 22k fans. What common sense, good effort by the clubs, UEFA and Wembley.

Sponsors and "the football family" wanting quarantine exemptions seems to be the stumbling block. 

They can GTF, frankly. 

On 06/05/2021 at 14:32, Mr Tourette said:

The best supported and second wealthiest club in Europe's richest country can have no aspiration higher than being a feeder to clubs bankrolled by feckless overspenders, sportswashing dictators and exploitative capitalists because they come from a place that hasn't sold its soul.

Well that's depressing.

6 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Yep, Bayern have effectively funded them for the last decade.

Not really.

Bayern bought Hummels and sold him back for almost the same money 2 years later. 

Göetze was £33m, but then Dortmund bought him back, with Rode, for a combined £30m.

Lewandowski was out of contract. 

Those are the only transfers between them in the last decade, and it amounts to a net of well under £10m from Bayern to Dortmund.

Tough one this. Two absolutely scummy clubs. My disdain for Chelsea is greater than my disdain for City, so with that in mind I'd normally favour a City win, but also Chelsea have already won a CL so it might be less galling if they won a second than City getting another plastic name on the trophy.

It would be incredible funny if Chelsea manage to Hibs the FA cup final, top 4 and the CL final all in a two week period.

10 hours ago, Donathan said:

Tough one this. Two absolutely scummy clubs. My disdain for Chelsea is greater than my disdain for City, so with that in mind I'd normally favour a City win, but also Chelsea have already won a CL so it might be less galling if they won a second than City getting another plastic name on the trophy.

It would be incredible funny if Chelsea manage to Hibs the FA cup final, top 4 and the CL final all in a two week period.

I'm the same, both cunt clubs but Chelsea are followed by, almost exclusively, Brexiteer gammon Tories, so I'd like City to win.

Although on the other hand, the more success TT has, it shines a light even more on how the Chelsea job, or any tob job, is far too big for Frankie the Tory. 

1 hour ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

That's the final officially moved to Porto. 6k fans each.

6k fans each is what UEFA want. At the moment the Portuguese government still need convinced on that number. They are suggesting 1k fans each

10 hours ago, DMCs said:

6k fans each is what UEFA want. At the moment the Portuguese government still need convinced on that number. They are suggesting 1k fans each

I don’t think it would have been agreed to switch the final to Portugal if UEFA weren’t getting what they want.

8 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Do they not usually fling out thousands of comp tickets for the finals to sponsors anyway, who will probaably get priority?

I think the 12k for fans would be in addition to the comp tickets so the total attendance would be around 25k

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57023532

Whilst not awarding final venues in advance, but instead waiting until after SFs and then arranging it near to either finalist, no doubt would be more environmentally friendly... it feels rather strange to make this argument in isolation against background of CL groupstage alone containing 180 games in a few years time... There are 288 away trips in next season's groupstages across CL, EL and new Conference League. Add in qualifiers, knockouts, internationals and tournaments and must be thousands of away games in European football every season. Each travelling support might be only 5% that for Finals, but collectively it'll dwarf their contribution.

Also:

"We know there is a high likelihood of same-country finalists".

Not sure 8 in 30yrs nor even 5 in 10yrs necessarily qualifies as "highly likely", although it clearly is becoming more frequent.

Edited by HibeeJibee