Aberdeen v Hamilton - Wednesday 7.45pm

On 08/08/2020 at 08:49, RandomGuy. said:

Its bizarre.

I'm convinced I'm being biased/blinded, but theres zero reason to postpone our game, but then allow two games to go ahead while Aberdeen players are still "risks". Tests cannot prove they arent carrying the virus, only isolating can do that.

You do realise that the decision to postpone one match, but possibly no more, is entirely that of the First Minister, who has zero interest in football. For any sane person to suggest that St Johnstone are being intentionally punished in favour of Hamilton and Celtic, beggars belief. Blame John Swinney for cocking up the exam results, because that is why the match was thrust into the limelight by the FM to deflect from the furore of that mess.

Joey, what an absolute load of horseshit 

The match was postponed in case any further cases amongst the squad turned up positive

As long as the 8 players keep isolating and the rest of the squad keep turning up negative test results between now and Wednesday morning, the Hamilton game will go ahead 

16 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

You do realise that the decision to postpone one match, but possibly no more, is entirely that of the First Minister, who has zero interest in football. For any sane person to suggest that St Johnstone are being intentionally punished in favour of Hamilton and Celtic, beggars belief. Blame John Swinney for cocking up the exam results, because that is why the match was thrust into the limelight by the FM to deflect from the furore of that mess.

No blame 8 of our own players who didn’t use the brains they were born with. 

12 minutes ago, Jute said:

No blame 8 of our own players who didn’t use the brains they were born with. 

Of course the eight players were brain dead that night. But they didn’t personally postpone the match, that was the First Minister.

7 hours ago, Frank Grimes said:

Joey, what an absolute load of horseshit 

The match was postponed in case any further cases amongst the squad turned up positive

As long as the 8 players keep isolating and the rest of the squad keep turning up negative test results between now and Wednesday morning, the Hamilton game will go ahead 

That makes no sense (like a lot of the rules around Covid). The incubation period is up to 14 days, so players infected could still test positive after the games this midweek and next weekend. If one game is postponed, the only logical position is to postpone all three.

8 minutes ago, Hendo said:

That makes no sense (like a lot of the rules around Covid). The incubation period is up to 14 days, so players infected could still test positive after the games this midweek and next weekend. If one game is postponed, the only logical position is to postpone all three.

Surely if that was the case, the Hamilton & Celtic games would’ve been postponed by now?

3 hours ago, Frank Grimes said:

Surely if that was the case, the Hamilton & Celtic games would’ve been postponed by now?

That's my point, given the 8 players have been told to self isolate beyond the Celtic game, the only logical position is to either play all 3 games and say to Aberdeen tough, or postpone all three. Postponing one and playing two makes no sense, but then neither does telling a Motherwell player to isolate for 14 days after a false positive, or having a testing regime that is entirely unreliable.

Edited by Hendo

4 minutes ago, Hendo said:

That's my point, given the 8 players have been told to self isolate beyond the Celtic game, the only logical position is to either play all 3 games and say to Aberdeen tough, or postpone all three. Postponing one and playing two makes no sense, but then neither does telling a Motherwell player to isolate for 14 days after a false positive, or having a testing regime that is entirely unreliable.

The fermers game wasn't postponed because we have players in isolation. 

It was nominally postponed because the government wanted assurance around the testing procedures at the club. These could be given before the Hamilton game. 

It was actually postponed because the government wanted to be seen to be doing something and postponement is something. 

4 hours ago, Hendo said:

Which is why it was a political decision to postpone the match and put that news on the front pages over the weekend.

On 08/08/2020 at 17:15, Fillin said:

I'd like to see Ruth given a chance but I think you're right in that McInnes will opt for McGinn up top. 

I’ve been wanting to see McGinn back up front since about 2014 so this would be very welcome.

What’s the script with Edmondson? Quick scan on twitter suggests he’s out for a number of weeks though I have no idea how reliable that is (I suspect not whatsoever).

11 minutes ago, AngusTheBull said:

I’ve been wanting to see McGinn back up front since about 2014 so this would be very welcome.

What’s the script with Edmondson? Quick scan on twitter suggests he’s out for a number of weeks though I have no idea how reliable that is (I suspect not whatsoever).

McGinn played in a two man front pairing. I can't see McInnes going for that.

5 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

That's a very Gammony Keith Jacksonesque position to take min.

I completely disagree. It was very obviously a political decision taken to manage the news agenda. Any safety benefit from only postponing the one match (not counting livi) is negligible. 

It was however a completely predictable decision that the government was effectively forced to take as a consequence of the players breaking rules and getting covid in tbe context of Aberdeen being in lockdown again. The alternative of letting the game go ahead was a pr disaster. 

I think that in response to people questioning the h&s benefits and the sporting fairness of the decision it is perfectly reasonable to point out that they weren't really considerations. 

13 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

McGinn played in a two man front pairing. I can't see McInnes going for that.

Do you think he might start Ruth up top? Don't think he's made his first team debut yet and has only made 11 previous appearances at League One/Two level (plus Challenge Cup) with one goal and one assist to his name.

19 minutes ago, Golden Gordon said:

Do you think he might start Ruth up top? Don't think he's made his first team debut yet and has only made 11 previous appearances at League One/Two level (plus Challenge Cup) with one goal and one assist to his name.

Can’t see it happening tbh, I’ve no idea what type of player Ruth is admittedly.

Ash Taylor up front in the target man role it is.

Which is why it was a political decision to postpone the match and put that news on the front pages over the weekend.
The match was postponed because 8Aberdeen players are thick as f**k. (Johnny Hayes probably the thickest of the lot given he thinks all employees of Aberdeen FC live in one fucking hoose).
That said, I don't think AFC as a club should be punished for the stupidity of these dafties. We'll happily play the game on the 20th and hopefully gub you anyway [emoji16]

6 minutes ago, The Marly said:

The match was postponed because 8Aberdeen players are thick as f**k. (Johnny Hayes probably the thickest of the lot given he thinks all employees of Aberdeen FC live in one fucking hoose).
That said, I don't think AFC as a club should be punished for the stupidity of these dafties. We'll happily play the game on the 20th and hopefully gub you anyway emoji16.png

I'm sure that sounded good in your head but the SPFL (on the advice of its clinicians) and both clubs were willing to play the match.

The Scottish Government made the decision, I think it made the right one, but there was absolutely some politics involved in it.

Edited by Dons_1988