Need help with a medal

Southside Dave

Hi all,  I’m hoping someone will be able to help me out and be able to give me more details on the medal below.  My father-in-law recently came across it when rummaging in his garage and has no recollection as to how he came by it or if it of any significance.

You will see on the inscription the governing body was S.S.J.F.A.  I don’t know if the ‘J’ stands for Junior or Juvenile, or if the ‘S.S’ stands for South Scotland.  I also can’t find anything on the internet relating to a Greenfield United around that time.

I appreciate it that it may not be related to Junior football but if anyone can help or point me in the right direction it would be great.

20152394-2783-40D7-945D-65E14AB7CCE0.jpeg

C156C067-C0BE-460E-93BD-2FCEC1DE89A5.jpeg

The hallmark is dated 1918 and shows it's 9-carat gold.

I think it's unlikely that Scottish junior (or indeed any) football authorities would be handing out solid gold medals in wartime. They're not known for big spending at the best of times.

Plus, according to Wikipedia, "During World War I top flight football continued as usual ... all other football was suspended although unofficial competitions did take place"

Very mysterious.

1 minute ago, Carntyne said:

It could be the

South-Side Juvenile F.A.  Cup Final,

Greenfield United v Hayfield,

6 July 1918,

Gymnasium Park, Broomloan Road, Govan.

source: Daily Record, 6 July 1918.

Excellent research, sir!

SSJFA seems to have had plenty of money. Maybe they were ahead of their time with sponsorship!

3 hours ago, Carntyne said:

It could be the

South-Side Juvenile F.A.  Cup Final,

Greenfield United v Hayfield,

6 July 1918,

Gymnasium Park, Broomloan Road, Govan.

source: Daily Record, 6 July 1918.

This is excellent, thanks for this info.  Can I ask if you can post the web link (if it was from the internet) of the source?  Googling 'South Side Juvenile F.A. Cup Final 1918' doesn't throw anything up for me.  Interested in finding out more about the player if possible. 

1 hour ago, Carntyne said:

You need a subscription to the British Newspaper Archive to see the advert for this fixture.

Ah ok, I presume you have a subscription and that is how you found it.  Is that all the info that was there? Was there anything on the team line ups etc.  Just trying to find out if it is worthwhile me taking out the subscription if the only info is as you have provided already.

32 minutes ago, Brig O'Lea said:

The game against Hayfield at Moore Park on the 6th July was actually the Govan Cup Final. 

Greenfield had already won the Glasgow Juvenile Cup, South Side Cup and Glasgow League Cup. 

Screenshot_20200810-092808~2.png

Screenshot_20200810-093045~2.png

The above match was played on Monday 8 July.

The South-Side Cup final was played on 6 July between the same clubs ay Gynasium Park.

On 10/08/2020 at 10:21, Carntyne said:

The above match was played on Monday 8 July.

The South-Side Cup final was played on 6 July between the same clubs ay Gynasium Park.

Yes, the clincher is the acronym on the medal (S.S.J.F.A.).

The other cup finals mentioned did not come under the governance of South Side Juvenile Football Association.

On looking into 'Gymnasium Park', the image below is lifted from a 1918 map of Glasgow.  The Govan Police Force owned the police recreation grounds shown on the map. 

In a previous comment on this thread there is a press mention of another game being played at Moore Park which you have to assume is somewhere within the wooded grounds of Moorepark House, as shown on the map just south of the police recreation grounds.   This is clearly named Moore Park in the press cutting so I have to assume that Gymnasium Park is part of the police recreation grounds.

Apparently Benburb FC  were based at the police recreation grounds between 1911-1925  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benburb_F.C.

Greenfield United 1.jpg

Capture5.JPG

Edited by Southside Dave

• 2 weeks later...