Sportscene ‘pundits’

Sportscene  

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Just wanted a straw poll to make sure I’m not the only one that couldn’t give the slightest f**k what Stephen Thompson or Michael Stewart have to say about football.

Are you basically saying just abandon sportscene and have the highlights online?

I went for no but think I've already changed my mind to a yes. A U-turn so quick the Tories would be proud.

I like having analysis and a bit of talk. What I don't like is the 30 minute chat about a single Rangers/Celtic goal when later on the entire Hibernian v Motherwell game gets 15 minutes, most of which is how the result impacts the title race.

Love the Scottish cup ones where they'll show back-to-back highlights of a bunch of games.

Edited by LiviLion

On the Monday night sportscene, after the County Motherwell match that evening, we had Shaun Maloney telling us that he recognises a change in style for Ross County, in their first 20 minutes. 

What utter dog shite, we've been playing that style for home games for a few seasons now. Was he just maybe surprised that County were competing for possession and not sitting back defending deep in their own half, his input to the show was laughable at best. 

15 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

If I just want a highlights reel, I can go to the official SPFL/SFA youtube channels.

What do you get out of the inane punditry that makes it a better option? 

It’s the same with Match of the Day for me; I could never watch that live in a million years because I need to fast forward the chat.

45 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Must admit to quite strongly disagreeing with this. I like them both as pundits as I find them both quite charismatic, and i enjoy hearing what they have to say about Saints, even though a lot of the time I disagree with their analysis.

Do agree that I’m not really interested in what they have to say about other clubs, so maybe that’s why a Dunfermline fan doesn’t think the analysis adds anything?

Stephen Thompson has regularly been involved in the Championship coverage on BBC, so another swing and a miss there champ.

BBC do target the lowest common denominator of viewer so it’s not a shocker you enjoy the coverage. Probably a big Love Island fan as well.

Yeah, I tend to think the analysis is fairly interesting, even just in terms of the actual things that are picked up rather than necessarily the people doing it. I very rarely watch Sportscene (or anything else beyond live sport) live anyway, so if I'm in a rush I just skip through it.

Obviously got a bit of a soft spot for Thommo and I don't think he's that far off the mark. He's pretty vanilla though. Stewart on the other hand would start a fight in an empty room, and I am wary of what he is "allowed" to say about Celtic considering he's on their payroll.

Could it be better, yeah, it could. That said, overall it's nowhere near as bad as having McCann, Boner and Dodds giving their opinion.

I'm going to go with No, but it's a soft no as I don't tend to watch the show and if I do it's only for the St Mirren highlights.

3 hours ago, LiviLion said:

I went for no but think I've already changed my mind to a yes. A U-turrn so quick Dundee would be proud.

I like having analysis and a bit of talk. What I don't like is the 30 minute chat about a single Rangers/Celtic goal when later on the entire Hibernian v Motherwell game gets 15 minutes, most of which is how the result impacts the title race.

Love the Scottish cup ones where they'll show back-to-back highlights of a bunch of games.

FTFY.

I like some of it and don't like others, as mentioned in an above post, seeing contentious incidents discussed is good. Could do without the analysis showing where a player should've been to stop a goal, really, anyone could watch an incident then move a player to a position he would've stopped it, easy money getting paid to do that. What is the point unless you're a manager looking at mistakes to let your players learn from them. Also liked Marvin Bartley on it as a guest, 

I voted 'Yes' purely because the pundits they have are spectacularly out of their depth with very few exceptions (Michael Stewart & Marvin Bartley). However, all being equal, I much prefer a show with some punditry opposed to just watching a clip show of highlights.